Am I the only one who didn't like Spider-Man: Homecoming???

→ in
Tools    

I enjoyed the parts where he no longer had his new suit. That was a good story. There was this sort of a cool backgroundy feel to the way he lifted up those lockers and grabbed his old stuff, ya know? I loved that part. I think I liked this a little better than Wonder Woman, but not much more. Again, it was too long. Is every comic book movie gonna be 2 and a half hours long from now on? I used to sit on the floor at the 7-Eleven and read these things in about 20 minutes or so. I'm just sayin. So it gets a
from me.

So far, for me, the first Tobey Maguire version is still the best. But I had a lot of issues with that one too.

i dont know what to think anymore about the new superhero films, not many recent iterations are that great or memorable, ant man was ok so does deadpool, but i guess its more to the humour to it rather than the plot material, its fun to watch but nothing memorable, for.me im gonna stop watching marvel and dc comics for the time being, i want action movies, cop thrillers etc to be back on track in hollywood, i want the new bad boys, i want movies like The rock, face off, broken arrow etc...

Yeah, to me Spider Man is this guy:

Overall I think Spider Man is the greatest American superhero because he embodies the concept more accurately than any other hero and identifies with the target audience of superheroes: he is a nerdy teenager with issues.
Toby will always be the best Spider-Man

Welcome to the human race...
The biggest con of the movie for me is I don't really know why Spider-man wants to join The Avengers so much. I saw his introduction in Civil War where Tony Stark wanted to recruit him, but I also didn't buy Tony recruiting him. At least not after he saw him in action. Basically Spider-man is such a hothead that I cannot see Tony thinking that recruiting him would be a good idea.
I think Tony initially recruits Peter out of desperation - he knows that Steve has built his own team and needs to match it in order to stop him, hence he resorts to including Spider-Man. It's after the events of Civil War that he realises how reckless it is to bring a teenager into such a dangerous conflict, which is why he spends so much of Homecoming encouraging him to stick to low-level criminals instead of joining the Avengers.

quote]Plus they never really explain why Spider-man wants to join The Avengers so much in the first place. I mean they said in the movie that he is only 15, so he would probably have his Uncle's murder, still fresh in his mind a lot.

He became a crimefighter as retribution for that happening, but you think he would be more determined in a darker, serious way because of that. He is so happy and filled with so much pep, that why is he after his Uncle being murdered?

I mean that would be a like teenager who say, lost a parent to murder, and was so upset over it to the point where he wanted to join black ops, but he yet he would be so happy and so full of pep over it, that you just wouldn't buy it.

If you're such a happy person, why would you want to fight crime, especially on a level as extreme as The Avengers?[/quote]

Aside from the hero worship angle, if Peter wants to do good then it makes sense that he could do "more" good helping the Avengers save the world than just busting low-level crooks. I don't think he's "happy" all the time either - the attitude may be a defence mechanism, but it seems like most scenes he's not exactly happy either.

The villain, played by Michael Keaton, I also feel maybe could have used more character development or screentime to explain what he is doing. I mean sure he and his crew got laid off, but is that really enough motivation to sell illegal weaponry on the street?

I mean I use to work in mining and there were lay offs all the time, but no one felt the need to become black market criminals over it. However, I do think that Keaton gave a really good performance in this role.
He only does it because he still has one truck of alien wreckage left and decides to keep it for himself rather than turn it over to the authorities.

I feel for any child going to watch this as their first introduction are getting a super compressed project film rather than an actual movie. So everybody knows Spider-Man, how shall we explain his back story, so you got bit by a spider, yes.. next scene, the humour felt forced and construed... the moment where the guy puts his head out the window to tell spidey off and so other people start putting their heads out the window and all of a sudden it's a social convention has been done in family guy and about 50 other movies.. yeah so funny haha I can't stop laughing. Within two seconds of this film beginning we have subversive humour and every 20 seconds thereafter, it so desperately want's to be funny and good. A liberal bloated film, slave shaming and perfect racial diversity in every... single... frame..

Somebody said it's like Marvel actually listen to their audience feedback.. yes just a bit but is that a good thing.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I think I can tell what kind of rabbit hole that question leads to, but the real question is whether or not FromBeyond follows through on it.

That was a pretty good part of the flick tho... The security guards hand gesture was perfect. Just another shoot across the bow at America's ignorance. I loved it.

I can understand if someone simply doesn't like the film or think it's funny (or that the humour doesn't save it), but when someone complains about something being too "liberal" it's enough to make me question just why they used that particular word.

Nope. You are not the only one, if one were to place a bet on it.

I can understand if someone simply doesn't like the film or think it's funny (or that the humour doesn't save it), but when someone complains about something being too "liberal" it's enough to make me question just why they used that particular word.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, there is no mystery here.. you didn't ask the right question.

Because in this day and age we all need to be reminded of slavery,, just of black people by white people of course... not the history of slavery in the world... we do need to be reminded of this every hour, it is so relevant to the problems we face today,

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, there is no mystery here.. you didn't ask the right question.

Because in this day and age we all need to be reminded of slavery,, just of black people by white people of course... not the history of slavery in the world... we do need to be reminded of this every hour, it is so relevant to the problems we face today,
Yeah, pretty much.

DC Movie and Show fanatic
I think your list had a LOT of valid points, many of which are flaws in other Spiderman movies. I still found it to be my favorite Spiderman movie despite those issues.

In general, I actually liked that Peter Parker played a younger more immature Peter Parker. Toby Mcguire was a bit too old for my taste to be in high school....(nor Andrew Mcguire). This new Peter Parker fits the role a bit better in my opinion, especially for the more funny and immature parts. (I think it's important for the character of Spiderman, especially if you've read the comics)

That movie sucked really bad, next time I'm just dropping off the kids.

You’re not the only one I’m sure, I don’t like them myself. In fact I’m not huge fan of any superhero film don’t like the mavel stuff. Oh and I don’t like Star Wars

not only you

I didn't grow up in North America, hence Spiderman is not my biggest hero in my childhood. But if that was the case, I could see myself hate this movie even more.
Same thing here, Dirk! Am not also a big fan of Spider Man and I can't seem to put together why there's so much hype around him. The initial movie was good but as it progressed I kinda gave up on it