Song Tournament 14

Tools    

Congrats to SC for the win and Spirit for as runner up. Great songs the pair of them and it was nice to really love both the songs in the final.

And thanks to Nope for running the tournament. First time and you did a good job.

The formula is simple, but most of us look at that as the boring way.
See, I don't. I think of you people who don't wanna pick winners as boring. I groan and roll my eyes at the "PICK RANDOM STUFF AND BE HAPPY!" people for the most part. I hate the fact that they even try to act like it's better.

No it ain't! My name's on that Master List of winners and losers 17 times and it's a great feeling.

So, seriously, next time -- I'm gonna not play, and the rest of you should pick some winners and actually do some serious Song Tournament war. Pretend there's money at stake.

People want to pick winners, but they want to pick an original winner. I don't begrudge anyone for what they nominate, but a lot of the best songs are boring noms. I vote against them but others don't. If you nominate a hugely popular song that nobody even has to listen to because everyone has it memorized, it's not creative, or any kind of accomplishment, I don't think.

Well, sometimes you need to "help the possible original winners along" (i.e. rig) to get a unique outcome. Like whoever did that Song Tournament X where Urge Overkill ("Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon") and Boston were in the Finals.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
First of all, I kind of forgot about that white male band-winning thing that happens in these. That is ridiculous of me considering what I nominated in the last tournament to try to change things.

Second, since I forgot that, I didn't even consider a bunch of white male bands. Truth be told, I put more thought into my songs than I have in a long time (excluding the Backstreet Boys, which were there solely for cricket's entertainment ).

I knew some were going to be out in the first round (I just didn't expect it to be "West End Girls"), but others I figured would hang around for a couple of rounds. And a few of them that I didn't think would last as long as they did (i.e. "Breakout" - that made it to the quarter finals).

In fact, I had a total of 4 songs in the 5th round. In a way, though, it made the loss a little worse because within 2 rounds they were all gone (of course, having two of them against each other wasn't going to help that any).

Master of My Domain
Congrats SC on winning with a Doors song again. Well, popular white male bands ftw I guess. Next time maybe I'll nominated Satisfaction and try to win for once.

Props to Nope for running the tourney and Spirit for joining for the first time - and end up being a runner-up.

First of all, I kind of forgot about that white male band-winning thing that happens in these. That is ridiculous of me considering what I nominated in the last tournament to try to change things.
There's nothing wrong with trying. I won't be surprised if one day (if there's more of these) the trend is finally broken. It's just so far, at least in every regular Song Tournament... the winner was a white male band. I noticed this very early on and it's still happening.

And a few of them that I didn't think would last as long as they did (i.e. "Breakout" - that made it to the quarter finals).
Yeah I have no idea how that "Breakout" thing lasted so long.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Congratulations to SC for winning.
Congratulations to Spirit for being the runner up.

Thank You to Nope for running a great tournament.

People want to pick winners, but they want to pick an original winner. I don't begrudge anyone for what they nominate, but a lot of the best songs are boring noms. I vote against them but others don't. If you nominate a hugely popular song that nobody even has to listen to because everyone has it memorized, it's not creative, or any kind of accomplishment, I don't think.
I agree that hearing the same songs every time is boring. I wish we had a master list of all the songs that have been nominated so we could have a tournament where nothing that already been nominated would be eligible.

A master list like the one GB is asking for... would be enormously long and drive you crazy reading. Basically, Gbgoodies in master list form.

A master list like the one GB is asking for... would be enormously long and drive you crazy reading. Basically, Gbgoodies in master list form.

We could just try using our memory, and the search function, and attempt a song tournament where anything that's already been nominated wouldn't be eligible.

Anything that would get rid of all the heavy-hitters that get nominated over and over again would be worth doing.

GB, you should run Song Tournament 15. I won't be a part of it, but you can ask me to break ties if I'm around (ha - if I'm around). That way you can run one and not have to deal with me.

And if you see people nominating stuff that, from your memory, or from your research, gets nominated TOO much... politely ask that they change it. Cause nobody else really wants to do that kind of heavy research like you wanna do. So you should be in charge of that.

But do it sparingly. You don't wanna scare people from joining.

GB, you should run Song Tournament 15. I won't be a part of it, but you can ask me to break ties if I'm around (ha - if I'm around). That way you can run one and not have to deal with me.

And if you see people nominating stuff that, from your memory, or from your research, gets nominated TOO much... politely ask that they change it. Cause nobody else really wants to do that kind of heavy research like you wanna do. So you should be in charge of that.

But do it sparingly. You don't wanna scare people from joining.

Nah, If I run a tournament anytime soon I'd like it to be something like an Old Fogey's Song Tournament, with no heavy metal and no rap music. Just relaxing stuff that your parents or grandparents would listen to, like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Doris Day, Broadway showtunes, etc.

But I doubt anyone but me would join that kind of tournament.

But stop coming up with these "master list" ideas if all you want is an OLD FOGEYS tournament.

Nobody sane wants either.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Yeah I have no idea how that "Breakout" thing lasted so long.
I don't even know how it lasted that long, and it is my song - one that I really like. It was against "You've Made Me So Very Happy" (the other one of mine). I thought for sure that would've beat "Breakout". So this surprised me.

But The Jacksons made it to the quarter-finals. So, maybe, just maybe, I am that much closer to breaking the white male band trend.

I think Breakout made it a round or two before, didn't it? I know I've nominated it at least once. As I've said a million times before, it's all about the draw.

But The Jacksons made it to the quarter-finals.
I was surprised about that, too. That one could have theoretically been a Round 1 loser, based on previous Jacksons songs in these things.