1961 Best Picture Nominees

Tools    

I had

1. The Hustler
2. Breakfast at Tiffany's

and then Yojimbo, The Innocents, and Taste of Honey, but I forget the order.

My original noms were those 5 plus One-Eyed Jacks, The Children's Hour, Judgement at Nuremberg, Through a Glass Darkly, and Blast of Silence.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like The Innocents a lot (it was in my top five) but I would have bet on Breakfast for the win.

Good thing I never actually bet. I'm rarely right. So far, both winners have been in my top five so I'm happy with the outcome thus far.

I expected Breakfast at Tiffany's would win also. It was #2 on my list. I was surprised that West Side Story didn't do better.

Here's my top 10 list for 1961:

1) West Side Story (1961) - (Natalie Wood, George Chakiris, Richard Beymer)
2) Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) - (Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard)
3) Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) - (Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark)
4) Lover Come Back (1961) - (Rock Hudson, Doris Day, Tony Randall)
5) All in a Night's Work (1961) - (Dean Martin, Shirley MacLaine, Cliff Robertson)
6) Come September (1961) - (Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobrigida, Sandra Dee)
7) 101 Dalmatians (1961) - (Disney- Rod Taylor)
8) Splendor in the Grass - (Natalie Wood, Warren Beatty)
9) Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961) - (Walter Pidgeon, Joan Fontaine, Barbara Eden)
10) The Absent-Minded Professor (1961) - (Fred MacMurray, Nancy Olson, Keenan Wynn)

Of Audrey's works, I do still prefer How To Steal a Million and Sabrina though.

I like the original version of Sabrina, but I prefer the remake with Harrison Ford. I thought that Humphrey Bogart was miscast in that role in the original version.

Are we moving on to 1962? If Jiraffe can't do it I will start it, but I'll ask for his approval.

Has anyone started watching any 1962 movies yet? I took a quick look at some of the movies from 1962 that I've already seen or that are on my watchlist, and I already have a pretty long "short list". And I haven't even checked IMDB yet to see what I'm missing.

These are just the 1962 movies I'm considering (in no specific order):

The Trial (Anthony Perkins, Director: Orson Welles)
To Kill A Mockingbird
That Touch of Mink (Cary Grant)
The Music Man (Robert Preston, Shirley Jones)
Follow That Dream (Elvis Presley)
Kid Galahad (Elvis Presley)
Days of Wine and Roses (Jack Lemmon)
Five Weeks in a Balloon (Jules Verne)
Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation (James Stewart)
If A Man Answers (Bobby Darin)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Intruder (William Shatner)
How the West Was Won
Lawrence of Arabia (Peter O'Toole)
Moon Pilot
The Counterfeit Traitor
The Manchurian Candidate
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Who's Got the Action? (Dean Martin)

I'm a bit confused, was there a final tally of the top 5 winners from the nominated 10 films?

Anyway here's my 10 nominations.

1 The Hustler
2 The Misfits
3 The Children's Hour
4 Judgment at Nuremberg
5 Breakfast at Tiffany's
6 A Raisin in the Sun
7 West Side Story
8 The Guns of Navarone
9 Splendor in the Grass
10 Return to Peyton Place

Yes, I did indeed nominate Return to Peyton Place.

I'm a bit confused, was there a final tally of the top 5 winners from the nominated 10 films?

I'm not sure what you're confused about. We each sent in a list of our personal top 10 movies of 1961, and then the MoFo top 10 movies of 1961 were posted here.

Then we each sent in a list of the top 5 movies from those 10 movies, and the top movie of 1961 was revealed.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This involved strategic voting. I do like Judgment at Nuremberg.

1st Round:

1. The Innocents
2. One, Two, Three
3. One-Eyed Jacks
4. West Side Story
5. The Guns of Navarone
6. Lover Come Back
7. Breakfast at Tiffany's
8. Divorce - Italian Style
9. The Hustler
10. Yojimbo

2nd Round:

1. The Innocents

Partial List of 1962 Recommendations: The Manchurian Candidate, Lawrence of Arabia, Eclipse, The Miracle Worker, Lonely Are the Brave, An Autumn Afternoon, The Birdman of Alcatraz, Freud, The Trial of Joan of Arc, Pressure Point, Knife in the Water, To Kill a Mockingbird, Jules and Jim, Dr. No, Lolita, Billy Budd, The Four Days of Naples, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Requiem for a Heavyweight, Cleo from 5 to 7, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Days of Wine and Roses, Mamma Rosa, Ride the High Country, The Trial, Cartouche, The Longest Day, Carnival of Souls, Mafioso, David and Lisa, Ivan's Childhood, Advise and Consent, The Exterminating Angel, The Counterfeit Traitor, The Music Man, Love at Twenty, How the West Was Won, Sanjuro, Mutiny on the Bounty, Pitfall, That Touch of Mink, Winter Light

You're always on the ball GBG
I'm always running late.

I'll try to watch some 1962 films recommended here and I'm OK if we have a long time to submit our list too.

You and Mark have some good recommendation there.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yeah, I don't have a good ten for 1962. I'll have to get on Mark's recommendations. I've seen a few but there a couple that I flat out don't like.

I've been avoiding watching The Manchurian Candidate for a long time because I thought it was a political movie, (about a political election), but I watched it last night, and it was great. I highly recommend it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Which ones are those? Maybe I don't like them either.
Jules and Jim and Lawrence of Arabia. I'd be willing to give Lawrence another try, but I'm pretty firm on my Jules and Jim dislike.