Westerns HOF

Tools    

The results are in. These specific genre HOFs continue to be my favorites. Lots of fun films in this plus I found a new favorite. It was interesting to see the divide on a lot of films. I learned one thing during this HOF, I see Young Guns through nostalgia colored glasses. That's ok though. Results forthcoming.

12 El Topo 15 points
11 Young Guns 20 points
10 Calamity Jane 24 points
9 Day Of The Outlaw 35 points
8 The Professionals 39 points
7 Dead Man 44 points
6 One-eyed Jacks 45 points
4 Red River 46 points
4 The Bravados 46 points
3 Stagecoach 47 points
2 McCabe & Mrs. Miller 49 points

Your winner 58 points

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I agree. I've been on a huge high from these genre specific ones. My favorite ever was probably the animated musical one. It was just fun to partake in.

I'm always happy when at least 1 person really likes my nom and discovers it for the first time. So I'm glad to see The Bravados come in at 4th

I really like the genre specific Hofs too. For me, I love the movies in them more than I usually do in the main Hof (though for the 10th we have some fine films!)

Thank you! to Sean for running this.....Congrats to Camo for 1st place!

BTW, did Daniel ever turn in a list?

My List:

01.Once Upon a Time in the West
02.Dead Man
03.Red River
04.Stagecoach
05.The Bravados
06.McCabe & Mrs Miller
07.One Eyed Jacks
08.The Professionals
09.Day of the Outlaw
10.El Topo
11.Young Guns
12.Calamity Jane

Overall this was a really great bunch of nominations. The only ones i didn't like were the bottom three. Calamity Jane just sadly wasn't for me, i'm not a fan of musicals and this is the type i usually like least, it wasn't bad though just not my type of film. El Topo was a big struggle for me to get through, i'd like to try it again at some point but the first time wasn't easy. Young Guns is just dumb 80's fun that i didn't find all that fun, i would have loved this if i had watched this 10 years ago.

All of the others i either liked or loved. And both Red River and The Bravados are new favourites so thank for nominating Raul and Citizen

Glad Once Upon A Time In The West won. It is easily my favourite Western and as you can see i have it at #2 of all time in my profile. Just so perfect. I don't even know if you still do the winner does a write up thing. if you do i'd be up for attempting something since i didn't re watch and write about it in the thread.

We haven't done that in a while but it would be cool to put something in the organization thread. Just PM or post it. Your choice bro, Mofo is your oyster.

We haven't done that in a while but it would be cool to put something in the organization thread. Just PM or post it. Your choice bro, Mofo is your oyster.
I will. Will probably take a while but i'd like to do it.

Oh, yeah. And thanks for running Sean

Almost forgot to thank the host what's happened to my forum etiquette? . Nah you did a great job mate, you were really fair and patient with the delay and stuff

OUATITW was no doubt a no brainier to win. There were other good films but none on that level.
Was really glad to see how much you liked it. We don't agree on much so it is really cool when there is something that we both love.

If Payne makes a few more greats he has a chance to be in my top 3 directors.
Ratio wise he has to be up there for me. Even though he doesn't have any top 20 films or whatever for me i really like them all except Citizen Ruth.

Ratio wise he has to be up there for me. Even though he doesn't have any top 20 films or whatever for me i really like them all except Citizen Ruth.
Same for me but Sideways is top 20 for me and Decendants is close. Why didn't he make my top 10 directors?

Same for me but Sideways is top 20 for me and Decendants is close. Why didn't he make my top 10 directors?
i don't know Sean. I know i constantly claim i have all the answers but i'm usually lying.

My Top 10 Directors (seen at least 3 films):

01.Martin Scorsese
02.Alfred Hitchcock
03.Akira Kurosawa
04.Paul Thomas Anderson
05.David Lynch
06.Alex Gibney
07.Werner Herzog
08.Francis Ford Coppola
09.David Lean
10.Richard Linklater

From what i have seen my top four there are set in stone, all of them have made major favourites of mine and i at least like more than i dislike from each of them.

Lynch makes me want to re watch his films more than any other. Even films i don't or didn't like much - Lost Highway and Elephant Man. He also has 4 major favourites of mine including Elephant Man which i didn't like at first.

Gibney may be a bit high but he just makes Documentaries that suit my tastes perfectly. Including my favourite Documentary.

Herzog again is a bit high since i haven't even made a dent in his Filmography. Still i love the man so much, i've watched more interviews and video clips of him than any other director. He also has made a lot of my favourite Documentaries and Aguirre, Nosferatu and Stroszek are big favourites of mine.

I agree with everybody else that FFC has never reached the heights of the 70's since. The first two Godfathers and Apocalypse Now are major favourites of mine. I also like Dracula, The Godfather Part III and The Outsiders a lot.

It is probably way too soon for Lean but Lawrence is top ten for me, i adored Kwai top 50 at least if it holds up to a second viewing. I also liked Dr.Zhivago. These super long epics never fail to keep my attention which is a remarkable feat in my eyes.

Linklater has the Before Trilogy, Dazed and Confused and Slacker. Which i all love. The other four i've seen Tape, School of Rock, Boyhood and Bernie i at least like. Most (not all) of his other films i don't think look that interesting which is why i haven't seeked them out. Who knows maybe i'll love them but they aren't really a priority unless someone i trust here recs one to me.

Weird posting that in this thread i know. It's just the director talk made me curious where i am at this point so i thought i may as well post it.

Also if George Stevens stays at the A Place In The Sun/ The Diary of Anne Frank level for me he could make it. Wasn't a fan of Shane which drags him down a bit since i've only seen three from him.