Ahwell's Lists and Projects

→ in
Tools    

but a lot of the moments in Wreck-it Ralph, particularly annoying Vanellope, I just couldn’t stand.
Well, being voiced by Sarah Silverman, Vanellope can't help but be a least a little annoying. I actually quite like her, even though I don't much care for children in general. I guess the whole outsider thing just somehow manages to break through to my cold, bitter heart. Plus the scene where Ralph destroys her car just absolutely kills me. Tears every time.

But besides her, what did you not like?

How’d you feel about the Wreck-it Ralph sequel, by the way?
It definitely had its moments but, like most sequels, didn't come near the greatness of the original. I rated it a
when I watched it in the theater back in November. I haven't seen it since then, though, so I'm not sure if I'd stand by that rating or not.

but a lot of the moments in Wreck-it Ralph, particularly annoying Vanellope, I just couldn’t stand.
Well, being voiced by Sarah Silverman, Vanellope can't help but be a least a little annoying. I actually quite like her, even though I don't much care for children in general. I guess the whole outsider thing just somehow manages to break through to my cold, bitter heart. Plus the scene where Ralph destroys her car just absolutely kills me. Tears every time.

But besides her, what did you not like?
I found the music really forgettable. Since I may be more obsessed with music than movies, that plays a huge role in my enjoyment. Kiki’s delivery Service at least had a memorable melody, although I wasn’t a huge fan of the music either. The humor a lot of times did not work for me, as I said in my original post, the “duty” jokes and “stinkbrain” just completely took me out of the fantastical world of Sugar Rush/ the arcade in general.

That said, I really enjoyed it anyways, I gave it an 8/10, which is good for me. Kiki just resonated with me because it struck me as something like Ratatouille or La La Land- an ode to art, passion, and pursuing your dreams. It’s cliche, but imo Miyazaki brings it to a new level.

I found the music really forgettable. Since I may be more obsessed with music than movies, that plays a huge role in my enjoyment. Kiki’s delivery Service at least had a memorable melody, although I wasn’t a huge fan of the music either.
Oh. I don't generally care about film scores, so unless they stand out to me as particularly effective or particularly intrusive/ill-suited to the scene it doesn't weigh much on my rating.

The humor a lot of times did not work for me, as I said in my original post, the “duty” jokes and “stinkbrain” just completely took me out of the fantastical world of Sugar Rush/ the arcade in general.
Well those jokes were told by a small child in a children's movie, so it gets a pass from me for that.

It’s cliche...
Agree.

...but imo Miyazaki brings it to a new level.
Disagree.

#2 Finding Nemo vs. #15 The Jungle Book

1. Originality

Finding Nemo
Finding Nemo is everything you'd expect from an original Pixar movie - it has unique characters and creatures, a great location in Australia, and the deep sea is boundless in it's opportunities for creative art.

2. Script/Screenplay

Finding Nemo
The screenplay of Finding Nemo is funny and delightful, and I really enjoyed it. The Jungle Book is more about physical comedy, which is fine, but the only good scenes script-wise are with Shere Khan.

3. Animation

Finding Nemo
It's hard to imagine a more colorful and brilliant animation than in Finding Nemo. We get fish and creatures of all shape and size, animations of the deep sea, plus views of Sydney and more. Beautiful.

4. Characters

Finding Nemo
If Marlin and Dory were the only two characters in this movie, it would still be enough to beat The Jungle Book. But on top of that we get the pelicans, the sharks, the sea turtles, all the aquarium fish, and Nemo himself... needless to say, the characters are spectacular.

5. Music/Sound

The Jungle Book
The Jungle Book has a fun and enjoyable score, with great songs like "The Bare Necessities" and "Trust in Me." The filler music was pretty good too. I don't even remember the soundtrack to Finding Nemo, which isn't really a good sign. It's not Pixar's best score.

6. Themes/Values

Finding Nemo
This is heartwarming story and it has a heartwarming theme to go along with it, about accepting loss and accepting change. It is also about what it means to be a parent, and Marlin's struggle with that. Finding Nemo has deep themes, which we have come to expect from Pixar.

7. Structure/Pacing

Finding Nemo
To me, the structure of Finding Nemo is weak, but The Jungle Book is even weaker. Both feel like of strings of small stories tied together into a larger one, but Finding Nemo is better at wrapping the whole thing together. The Jungle Book should have expanded it's characters and plot to make it more interesting. This is a rare movie where I wanted it to be longer so I could learn more.

Finding Nemo - 6
The Jungle Book - 1

Winner: #2 Finding Nemo

I like both The Jungle Book and Finding Nemo, but I think both are kind of middle of the road in quality for their respective studios. Finding Nemo is better though.

I like both The Jungle Book and Finding Nemo, but I think both are kind of middle of the road in quality for their respective studios. Finding Nemo is better though.
Agreed... I'm thinking Kiki's Delivery Service might beat out Finding Nemo next round

#3 Beauty and the Beast vs. #14 Tale of Tales

1. Originality

Tale of Tales
20th century Russian animation will never let you down in terms of originality, and Tale of Tales is no exception. Constructed like a string of memories/dreams, it is really an amazing experience, something refreshingly different from Disney, Pixar, and Studio Ghibli.

2. Script/Screenplay

Beauty and the Beast
This one isn't really fair because Tale of Tales is practically a silent film, but I'm happy to give it to Beauty and the Beast as well. The script is rather well done if immature and childish at times.

3. Animation

Tale of Tales
Tale of Tales has stunningly beautiful animation, something very different than anything else I've seen. It's like someone painted every single small frame, and each "painting" is assembled into a masterpiece.

4. Characters

Beauty and the Beast
There are a lot of cool characters in Beauty and the Beast, including the Beast himself, who shows a strongly developed and interesting character. Belle is pretty good for a Disney princess as well.

5. Music/Sound

Tale of Tales
This will be my controversial one, but I liked the music to Tale of Tales more than Beauty and the Beast. The usage of Bach and Mozart, as well as the Russian Tango, is just perfect. It's like a Stanley Kubrick movie, and I also adore his use of music.

6. Themes/Values

Beauty and the Beast
The themes to Tale of Tales are so ambiguous that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to interpret them to mean. Beauty and the Beast has an obvious but strong message about how true beauty lies within, and that really resonates with me.

7. Structure/Pacing

Beauty and the Beast
This movie is really well structured as well. I loved the character arc of the Beast, and the relationship of Belle to her father and the townspeople. My only complaint is that Belle's story is left unfinished... she says she wants to explore the world in her song at the beginning, but then never actually does.

Beauty and the Beast - 4
Tale of Tales - 3

Winner: #3 Beauty and the Beast

This was another very close one. Beauty and the Beast has never been my favorite Disney movie, but I still like it well enough.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#2 Finding Nemo vs. #15 The Jungle Book

Finding Nemo - 6
The Jungle Book - 1

Winner: #2 Finding Nemo

I've loved the movie The Jungle Book since I was a kid, but I think it's more because of the music than the movie itself, so I'm glad that it won the Music match.

But other than the music, I have to agree that Finding Nemo is a better movie, and it deserved to win this match.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#3 Beauty and the Beast vs. #14 Tale of Tales

Beauty and the Beast - 4
Tale of Tales - 3

Winner: #3 Beauty and the Beast

This was another very close one. Beauty and the Beast has never been my favorite Disney movie, but I still like it well enough.

I've never seen Tale of Tales, so I can't really comment much about it, but I love Beauty and the Beast, so I'm glad to see that it won this match. (Although it's hard to believe that Beauty and the Beast lost for Animation and Music.)

I didn’t expect the music to win to win for Tale or Tales either, Beauty and the Beast has one of my favorite Disney soundtracks. But Tale of Tales just used music to perfection.

#4 Toy Story 2 vs. #13 Dumbo

1. Originality

Dumbo
Neither of these films are incredibly original, but I'm giving it Dumbo for that crazy "Pink Elephants on Parade" scene. Disney really knows how to portray what being drunk was like, I guess. Other than that, Dumbo was still a pretty original story. And of course, Toy Story 2 is a sequel, which always bumps it down a notch originality-wise.

2. Script/Screenplay

Toy Story 2
Toy Story 2 has just as good of a script as the first movie, which is saying a lot. There are great jokes, heartfelt moments, and an all around fun and fantastic script. I especially loved the scenes with Jessie and the Prospector.

3. Animation

Dumbo
I LOVE classic Disney animation style, and with Dumbo they were at their prime. Every frame is lovingly crafted and you can tell the excitement and pure art of this early period in animation. Something truly special.

4. Characters

Toy Story 2
As always with the Toy Story movies, the characters are well designed and fantastic. From all the secondary toys to Wood and Buzz to Jessie and the Prospector, there are vibrant personalities with real and human issues.

5. Music/Sound

Dumbo
I'm a sucker for classic Disney scores, and Dumbo is a pretty good example of that. While Toy Story 2 has "When she Loved Me," which is beautiful, there's not much else. In Dumbo, there are many great songs like "Baby Mine" and "When I See an Elephant Fly" which are just great tunes.

6. Themes/Values

Toy Story 2
Dumbo is about how everyone has talent, but Toy Story 2 is about deep themes of friendship, sacrifice, and responsibility, something entirely different yet similar to Toy Story. This is treated of course through Woody's personal self reflection, beautifully portrayed in the film.

7. Structure/Pacing

Toy Story 2
I liked the structure and pacing of this movie, nothing more and nothing less. Near the end, the chase sequence of course dragged, which is a huge Disney Pixar problem, but other than that the structure and pacing were smooth. They allowed space for the characters to grow.

Toy Story 2 - 4
Dumbo - 3

Winner: #4 Toy Story 2

Meh. Disagree but not strongly. I think Toy Story 2 is the weakest Toy Story films (though I've not yet seen Toy Story 4) and I find it rather forgettable. I think Dumbo is a beautiful movie and it brings me to tears, but I also can't overlook its racist elements and that drags it down considerably for me.

Toy Story 2 is also my least favorite Toy Story film, I liked Toy Story 4 more. Dumbo was a huge positive surprise for me, but yeah the crows were pretty awful.

#5 My Neighbor Totoro vs. #12 A Scanner Darkly

1. Originality

A Scanner Darkly
Both these films are well done and very original, but I liked the overall feel of A Scanner Darkly more. It was incredibly original even though based on a Phillip K. Dick story and used innovative animation/characters/screenplay.

2. Script/Screenplay

A Scanner Darkly
Well done script as well from A Scanner Darkly. There were some scenes like the bike scene that dragged on too long, but there were also some hilariously dark and funny scenes that worked really well. As with most Miyazaki, My Neighbor Totoro isn't at all about script and humor, and that's okay because it has other strengths.

3. Animation

A Scanner Darkly
A Scanner Darkly is uniquely animated. I looked it up afterwards, and from my limited understanding it was shot in live action and then painted over afterwards, making it run smooth without CGI. Amazing and breathtaking, and I really enjoyed it.

4. Characters

My Neighbor Totoro
Not a very close one. My Neighbor Totoro has amazing characters, and not a single one you don't like. Whether it is the girls themselves, who are some of the best portrayals of childhood in all of film, or the totoro and other creatures, the characters in this movie are remarkable.

5. Music/Sound

My Neighbor Totoro
Neither of these movies had a fantastic soundtrack. That said, My Neighbor Totoro has some cool melodies and interesting orchestrations. Nothing much more to say music-wise, but Totoro was clearly much better.

6. Themes/Values

My Neighbor Totoro
Which one's deeper? The dark psychological thriller about the effects of drug use... or the silly adventures of two young girls and an imaginary creatures? Well, I wouldn't say one is more deep than the other exactly, but I enjoyed the themes of childhood, innocence, and friendship much more in My Neighbor Totoro. They ring true to any age and cause endless delight.

7. Structure/Pacing

My Neighbor Totoro
A Scanner Darkly has a messy and frankly bad structure, which is why I prefer the simple but effective My Neighbor Totoro. This film breathes, lets us explore the situations and characters, and completely achieves what it's going for... a masterpiece.

My Neighbor Totoro - 4
A Scanner Darkly - 3

Winner: #5 My Neighbor Totoro

I wish I was less boring and had a couple more "upsets" but I guess these movies are ranked this way for a reason (so far).

Wow, it's been quite a while since my last match-up. I've been focusing on HoFs and haven't really had time to watch these animated movies... but I finally found the time to watch some so here is the next match-up.

#6 The Iron Giant vs. #11 Porco Rosso

1. Originality

Porco Rosso
A romance/action/drama with a flying pig? Leave it Miyazaki to write a story as bizarre and interesting as this. Turned a pig after World War I for reasons unexplained, the main character of Porco Rosso is Porco himself. It makes for a thrilling and unexpected Miyazaki film that is very original.

2. Script/Screenplay

The Iron Giant
Porco Rosso has one of Miyazaki's screenplays, but Brad Bird's writing in The Iron Giant is right alongside The Incredibles and Ratatouille. The characters have great lines, the dialogue scenes are phenomenal, everything just flows.

3. Animation

Porco Rosso
I don't think any Miyazaki movie will ever lose for animation. Although this isn't My Neighbor Totoro or Spirited Away in terms of visual beauty, there are still some amazing moments. Not only are the shots of the sea and the landscapes from bird's eye great, but the plane scenes are spectacular to watch. Well done.

4. Characters

Porco Rosso
Even with Porco Rosso being arguably the most interesting and deep character in all of Studio Ghibli, it's hard to choose for this. The characters in the Iron Giant are all deep and personal; every character just shines a different light and what it means to be good, evil, and human. But I have to give it Miyazaki once again, mostly for Porco Rosso, but for Gina and the others as well.

5. Music/Sound

The Iron Giant
the Iron Giant's soundtrack is great. It can be big and grand but also quiet and meditative. It has a huge orchestral scope that we don't get a lot of these days, and it is something different, a refreshing orchestral sound for the '90s.

6. Themes/Values

Porco Rosso
This story about a flying pig is not all that it seems on the surface. Deep down, this is a tale about what happens to men after war - they are turned into pigs. Particularly one sequence, when Porco finds himself staring into the white strip of planes from those who have passed, incredibly moved me. It is both an exciting and profound tale of war.

7. Structure/Pacing

The Iron Giant
The structure of this film could be weighty, but Brad Bird handles it perfectly. There's not much more to add, but the Iron Giant flows like butter in the hands of these great director. the Iron Giant is a great film, too bad it had to go against Miyazaki for round one.
Porco Rosso - 4
The Iron Giant - 3

Winner: #11 Porco Rosso

#7 Persepolis vs. #10 The Little Mermaid

1. Originality

Persepolis
An animated movie that addresses the destructive power of war just like Waltz with Bashir and Grave of the Fireflies, Persepolis is incredibly original. Not only is it bold and not afraid to form opinions, but it has fascinating characters and insights into the wars in Iran and war in general.

2. Script/Screenplay

Persepolis
For a movie frankly as depressing as this, Persepolis has some actually funny and entertaining moments. The Little Mermaid also has a good screenplay, but I liked that Persepolis was not afraid to go out of the box with it's characters and dialogue.

3. Animation

The Little Mermaid
It's not the best-looking Disney movie ever, but The Little Mermaid is still beautiful. Not only does it have stunning underwater scenes, but there also glorious moments on land. I liked how Ariel and Eric are drawn... there are of course the obligatory ugly-looking sidekicks, but I won't let that ruin the overall beauty of this film.

4. Characters

Persepolis
While The Little Mermaid has Ariel, it doesn't have much else. The main woman in Persepolis is fascinating and very real, we feel that we can connect to her. Along with her there are her family members, all very cool, and the people she meets in Vienna and Tehran.

5. Music/Sound

The Little Mermaid
Not really a contest, is it? Songs like "Under the Sea" and "Part of Your Word" are instant Disney classics, some of the best songs Disney has ever produced. Persepolis has an actually interesting soundtrack, but it doesn't even come close.

6. Themes/Values

Persepolis
Persepolis is ridden with deep and layered themes about what it means to have an identity and be part of a culture. Throughout her life, the main character of Persepolis constantly struggles with that identity, and by the end she has accepted who she is. It shows many things, but most importantly, to stay true to who you are.

7. Structure/Pacing

The Little Mermaid
While it is formulaic, like a Disney film usually is, the Little Mermaid ebbs and flows just fine. Persepolis loses its direction halfway through and has to fight to find it again. The Little Mermaid works just fine, with no real complaints.

Persepolis - 4
The Little Mermaid - 3

Winner: #7 Persepolis

#8 The Lego Movie vs. #9 Alice in Wonderland

1. Originality

The Lego Movie
Even for how original Alice in Wonderland is, The Lego Movie blows it out of the water. The Lego Movie is all about originality - being creative, special, and yourself. Every world, every character, and all the colors combine to make an effortlessly original and creative film.

2. Script/Screenplay

The Lego Movie
The screenplay of the Lego Movie is surprisingly fresh and good. It is super well crafted. Every character has great lines, and the dialogue scenes, particularly in the Old West, can be hilarious. This movie is incredibly funny as well.

3. Animation

The Lego Movie
The Lego Movie could have been very ugly, but instead it was fresh and often beautiful to look at. To see all the worlds that the kid creates is just breathtaking at times. All the characters, though made of legos, are really good as well.

4. Characters

The Lego Movie
Lots of really fun characters, too! There's of course the main character and Wild Style, the Gandalf wizard, Princess Uni-Kitty and much more. My favorite part character-wise was seeing all the lego movies of famous heroes and real-life people in the meeting... That was just great!

5. Music/Sound

Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland doesn't have my favorite soundtrack, but it has a satisfying enough set of songs that can be hummable. While the characters who sing them are often annoying and have bad voices, the songs themselves and the filler soundtrack aren't bad at all.

6. Themes/Values

The Lego Movie
The Lego Movie is about being yourself and being creative. It sounds cliche, and it is, but the way the movie presents it is wholly original and interesting. It engages you once again in being a child and having a huge imagination. Much like Alice in Wonderland, I might add, but I think the Lego Movie does it better.

7. Structure/Pacing

The Lego Movie
Alice in Wonderland has a very unsatisfying structure, so I have to give it to The Lego Movie. Not to say that The Lego Movie is great or anything in terms of structure, but it does it well enough.

The Lego Movie - 6
Alice in Wonderland - 1

Winner: #8 The Lego Movie