MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
@Nostromo87 can I talk/reveal about the films on my list that I KNOW FOR A FACT will not be showing up?

Suspect's Reviews

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I somehow never thought I'd see a gif from Matilda used in response to something like that.

My list thus far, pretty sure a few more will place, and pretty sure the rest never had a chance.

5. They Live [95]
9. Don't Look Now [64]
14. The Fly [10]
15. Evil Dead [13]
17. Near Dark [109]
25. Pitch Black [1 pointer]

Suspira was a weird ass movie, but quite beautiful. I enjoyed it a lot but it did not quite make my list.

been awhile since i checked in on this thing and coincidentally i decided to watch suspiria for the first time tonight. apparently it owns and would've made my list at #6 if i had seen it earlier.

here's my list so far:
8. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
10. Zombieland (2009)
14. The Fly (1986)
17. The Innocents (1961)
20. Hereditary (2018)
21. House (1977)
23. The Babadook (2014)
25. Fascination (1979)
criticker

@Nostromo87 can I talk/reveal about the films on my list that I KNOW FOR A FACT will not be showing up?
Good with that. I'm looking to get a chance to have some fun with write-ups of several recent additions, been challenging to find the time working 40 hours a week as well. Wanting to fit that in Friday even though I work through this weekend. Anyhow, throw down on the ones you know aren't arriving, I'll enjoy reading and the thread will benefit tremendously from that as it did your write-up on The Evil Dead.

Unregistered User
Missed so many again here. None that I'm surprised to see although some of the placings are. Eg I didn't expect The Fly to feature so highly and ahead of NOES and Eraserhead. Also didn't see Poltergeist showing up this high, despite liking it, its a film I never really see mentioned here. From my list only The Evil Dead made an appearance, which I had at number 7.

Out of 8 remaining films from my list only 6 are making it. No sign of The Strangers or The Eyes of My Mother. I knew it was going to be difficult for them both but I wanted to make a list of my top 25 horrors at the time and stayed true to my word.

A system of cells interlinked
Suspiria rocks. I had it on my list at #9, which just so happens to coincide with the ranking on the countdown.

RIGGED!

Seriously though, overflowing with atmosphere, I like this more and more every time I watch it. I hear the recent remake isn't terrible, but I don't have much interest in seeing it.

I'll take a shot at guessing the #1...

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining!

I'll take a shot at guessing the #1...

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining!
I'm afraid so. Still hoping that Pazuzu possesses its way on top but I'm prepared for disappointment.

Oh, and it seems that only 12 of my films make the list

Oh, and it seems that only 12 of my films make the list
Be thankful of that, P. I think I have only gotten more on one countdown. Hopefully this will be another, but only by one as I think I have three more to turn up.

Is Suspiria this high because of a HoF? The recent remake? Or just a change in the regular members of the site? I didn't think it appeared at all in the last list (though that was a long time ago) and had a quick look to see if I was right. It appears I was. I like Suspiria because it looks amazing and it's a bit of weirdy nonsense. But it does suffer as a film because of it and it suffers as a horror film even more. Still, at least no one has described it as a giallo yet.

Haven't seen The Fly since the mid 90's. I used to really like it, but didn't the last time I saw it.

The Texas Chain Saw Masscare (1974)
Runtime: 1 Hr 24 Mins
Production Company: Vortex
Distributed by Bryanston Distributing Company
Production Budget: $300,000
Box Office: $30,900,000
Twenty Three Votes
397 Points (25, 24, 23, 23, 23, 22, 22, 22, 22, 21, 21, 20, 20, 18, 17, 17, 16, 12, 9, 7, 6, 5, 2)
High Voter: @WorldFilmGeek

"Fool For A Blonde" by Roger Bartlett
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TxChainSawMassacre Eight.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	53975  
Attached Images

Welcome to the human race...
Cool, at least one of my guesses came true - and it was #6 on my list to boot. In my aforementioned review for Suspiria, I compared the two films for being at once so different in subject matter (European folk horror versus American true crime) and yet so similar in the way that they conjured horror at its most elemental into such sharp and brutal audio-visual experiences. I'm a little disappointed that Halloween is going to outrank this because this is what I consider the ultimate slasher film.

1. The Shining
2. Alien
3. The Exorcist
4. Halloween
5. The Thing
6. Psycho
7. Rosemary's Baby
8. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
9. Suspiria
10. The Fly

TCM was No.10 on my list: Even with a slow beginning, it's an absolutely wild ride.

1. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
3. Funny Games (1997)
4. The Witch (2015)
6. Shaun of the Dead
7. Evil Dead
10. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
13. [REC]
14. Hereditary
15. Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
16. Creep (2014)
17. The Wicker Man (1973)
18. Saw
20. An American Werewolf in London
21. Gremlins
23. The Fly (1986)

Boldly going.
I watched Texas Chainsaw the other day. The hitchhiker looks like a dead-ringer for James Franco ... I had to look up the name of the actor, as I thought it might have been his dad, or maybe a time-traveller situation.