The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Saboteur is an interesting guess. Wonder how many Hitchcock's will make it.

Think there's four locks: Rebecca, Notorious, Shadow of a Doubt and Rope. A few others could make it.
Those are strong guesses, and I agree too. I'd also wouldn't be surprised to see: Lifeboat & Spellbound make the list.

Hitch's 12 1940s movies:
Under Capricorn
Rope
The Paradine Case
Notorious
Spellbound
Lifeboat
Shadow of a Doubt
Saboteur
Suspicion
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Foreign Correspondent
Rebecca

I only had 1 Hitch film on my list, though I could have easily many more, most all of his 40s films are great, to at least really good.

I'm rooting for Spellbound which was one of the noms in the Film Noir Part 2 Hof

But, I don't know who's it was as that person dropped out of the Hof.

I have seen 8 of the 12 and 4 made my list. Wish I had seen Lifeboat before the countdown. Rope is a lock.

Still haven't seen Spellbound. I believe 2 Hitch's made my list.
Spellbound is a great premise but I felt like it got bogged down in the relationship aspect and didn't flesh out the interesting bits. I will give it another look someday.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
That's what must have happened to my one pointer - yes i tried for one.
I knew exactly what you were trying to do as soon as I saw it.

I only have one Hitchcock on my list. I meant to have another one (and, to be honest, I thought I had it on the list until I looked at the list just now), but I somehow overlooked it when I made my list of 25.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Haven't even heard of #98 or #97, sorry!

Had a couple of Hitchcock films on my list, hope they show up near the top

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
This will be something of a different countdown for me, as I really haven't watched many movies from this period, but since joining the forum have been introduced to the decade more and more. Like Vicky, I sent in a partial list, mosly pulled from the 40's HoFs and what few excursions I did into the era before. I really look forward to probing the collective mind of the forum for ideas on what to watch, and I can allready say that I'll watch the three I haven't seen yet without a doubt. RLS is allways entertaining (though I've never heard of The Body Snatcher), and from what I've now red about The Letter it sounds interesting. This is one countdown I'm hoping to have seen as few movies as possible.

Also, I'm guessing at least 4-5 entries will be Hitchcock, including both Rope and Saboteur. I myself had 3 on my list.

Oh, and Vamp: Have to join the cocophany of like-minded well-wishers; you've done a great job with the presentation! It looks awesome

Only one Hitch made my list as I tried to represent a wide range of 40's movies, although they were, not coincidentally, my favorites of the 40's. And some might have had the same director, or a few of the same actors, although that was not intentional on my part----they were simply some of my favorites.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hitch is one of my all-time fave filmmakers, but I have Zip-a-dee-doo-dah of his films on this list, although that is a clue.

Haven't seen Body Snatcher either, been curious to.
Have seen Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. VERY good version.

Seen: 1/2

List:
#25 Arch of Time 1 Pointer
Both very good films, but "Jekyll" is not one of Tracy's best performances. Portraying a demonic character is not his strong suit.

OTOH, the best Jekyll/Hyde performance I've seen was Jack Palance starring in a TV movie from 1968, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Palance was utterly chilling in the role. Like his sadistic cowboy in Shane, no one could play nasty like Palance...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062908/...f_=tt_ov_st_sm

~Doc

I personally think this would be a good spot the yearling or the ghost And.Mrs Muir.
I would think The Ghost and Mrs Muir would be a lot higher than this, after its good showing in the 40s hall of fame.

Hitchcock movies always do better on these countdowns than they should just because they've been seen by a lot of people.
You could say the same about Kubrick - although I doubt he'll show up on this list!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Both very good films, but "Jekyll" is not one of Tracy's best performances. Portraying a demonic character is not his strong suit.

OTOH, the best Jekyll/Hyde performance I've seen was Jack Palance starring in a TV movie from 1968, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Palance was utterly chilling in the role. Like his sadistic cowboy in Shane, no one could play nasty like Palance...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062908/...f_=tt_ov_st_sm

~Doc
Haven't seen Palance tackle the role. Should be pretty good
I would think The Ghost and Mrs Muir would be a lot higher than this, after its good showing in the 40s hall of fame.
yeah, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir should be higher, hopefully

You could say the same about Kubrick - although I doubt he'll show up on this list!
Yep, and even Scorsese. I just think it's more defined right now because the further back we go, most members haven't seen as many movies.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~96~

Director: Lewis Allen
Producer: Charles Brackett
Distributor: Paramount Pictures

35 Points - 3 Lists
(7th; 15th; 21st)