Slay's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Yeah, for years I had assumed that it was the type of movie that I would never care for, but recently out of embarassment, I decided to watch it.
I felt the same way for years until I watched it out of embarassment last summer. Great film! I'm looking forward to your review of it.

Do you also plan a review for Gone with the Wind? I love this film, as well, but the length makes it tough to get through in one sitting.

By the way, I know how much you love Lawrence of Arabia. It's been over 15 years since I've seen it, and I wasn't in the same state of mind regarding movies at the time. I found a copy on DVD for $9.44 and bought it. I can't wait until I get a chance to watch it.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Are you taking a break for a while, Slay? What do you think your next review will be?
I have a feeling LordSlaytan's next review (even before Casablanca) is for a classic Gershwin muscial. Am I right?
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

A Night at the Opera
A Night at the Opera

Cast: Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx, Kitty Carlisle, Allen Jones, Walter Woolf King, Sig Ruman, and Margeret Dumot

Director: Sam Wood

Writer(s): George S. Kaufman, Morrie Ryskind, and James Kevin McGuinness

Length: 96 min

MPAA Rating: Not rated

Released: 1935

moviereviews4fun.com rating: C+

An American in Paris
An American in Paris

Cast: Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant, Georges Guétary, and Nina Foch

Director: Vincente Minnelli

Writer: Alan Jay Lerner

Music: George Gershwin

Length: 113 min

MPAA Rating: Not rated

Released: 1951

moviereviews4fun.com rating: A

You're absolutely right Mark!

I wrote a couple more reviews for our favorite Marky Mark...I guess I'm part of his funky bunch now.

Click on the title of the film you'd like to read the review for.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

A Night at the Opera

An American in Paris
Damn! I forgot about the Marx Brothers review! Well, at least I was closer with my guess than Holden (but I guess I had insider information, kinda like Martha Stewart).

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
I saw Casablanca for the first time Friday and have seen it a total of 6 times now. I guess I kind of liked it.
Trust me... you love Casablanca.

Originally Posted by Mark
Do you also plan a review for Gone with the Wind? I love this film, as well, but the length makes it tough to get through in one sitting.
Gone with the Wind is another spectacular classic. Now that's a film I haven't seen in years! I'm not really sure about this, but wasn't there a sequel Mark?

BTW, your reviews are terrific Bri

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

Originally Posted by T-850
I'm not really sure about this, but wasn't there a sequel Mark?
Yes. It was called Breaking the Wind (just kidding).

There was a mini-series called "Scarlett" in 1994. I know nothing about it other than what I just read at IMDb.com

Casablanca is one of my favourite films, and I too assumed it would be to schmaltzy before I had seen it, but it's full of great characters and it has a superb cast - Ingrid Bergmann is beautiful andHumphrey Bogart's Rick is just too...cool (how I hate to use that word).

I agree with you, that Chico is under-used in A Night at the Opera, and that other Marx Brothers Films are funnier, but at least they got rid of Zeppo.

Unlike you, the first films I remember seeing - when I was maybe three or four years old - were musicals, mostly with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, and so I still have a fondness for that kind of movie, and Gene Kelly undeniably was the most energetic dancer to ever grace the silver screen.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
There was a mini-series called "Scarlett" in 1994. I know nothing about it other than what I just read at IMDb.com
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Classic line right there.

yes, i saw it and read the book by alexandra ripley..very disappointing on both accounts

although the book does follow margaret mitchell's version of gwtw, and the miniseries followed the film more if i remember right

I wrote a couple more reviews for our favorite Marky Mark...I guess I'm part of his funky bunch now.
Hey, I have been part of Marky Marks bunch loooong before you , I saw him first, so I am top of the bunch, aren't I Marky

Originally Posted by nebbit
Hey, I have been part of Marky Marks bunch loooong before you , I saw him first, so I am top of the bunch, aren't I Marky
Yes, Nebbit, you can be on top.

I love you, kid.

Put me in your pocket...
An American in Paris
Well, I'm not apart of your funky bunch, but I just wanted to tell you I really liked your review Bri. Well done again. It's nice to see some he-men like and appreciate musicals.

As I said in Sparky's thread, this is one of my favorites. Not long ago I saw Leslie Caron in an interview and she had some interesting tidbits about this movie. One being, she only did this film to please her mother. She really didn't have any interest in becoming an actress. Also...in the beginning dance number where Henri Baurel describes Lise to Adam...when we see her dancing each part of her personality...there is a part when she dances with a chair, amazingly enough this was considered too risque by some censors. Caron seemed honesty perplexed why some of the censors would find this objectionable.

And as an interesting side note...Cyd Charisse was originally slated to star in this. However she learned she was pregnant and was replaced by Leslie Caron.

Hope this wasn't too long. Carry on with your funkiness.

Originally Posted by Aniko
Well, I'm not apart of your funky bunch, but I just wanted to tell you I really liked your review Bri. Well done again. It's nice to see some he-men like and appreciate musicals.

You are a Funkie catagory all of your own, Thanks for interesting onfo.

LordyLord is a he-man!, when did this happen

Put me in your pocket...
You are a Funkie catagory all of your own, Thanks for interesting onfo.

LordyLord is a he-man!, when did this happen
Thank you Nebs.~
You're a sweatheart....and you made me feel wuv'ed~~

He-man status...Hmmm....welll Mable told me...
...it happened when he discovered he had to prune his ear hairs.

Annie, as long as you support us, you're an honorary "member."

Come on, Annie! We encourage the comments. Now if we could just get you to stop by the Movie Reviews 4 Fun Message Boards...

Hey everybody.

I appreciate all the interest I get in my review thread and wouldn’t dream of abandoning it completely; I enjoy the attention far too much for that to happen. Yet, I have a large project that I’m working on for the thread and am focusing all my energies on it at the moment. My plan is that I will go through every year of cinema and figure out my favorite ten movies for each of them. After I’m done with that I will figure which ten movies of each decade are my favorites, then from there, I will be able to make a more definitive top 100 list than my previous one. My main goal for this project is to make a post of the top 75 with comments and small pictures for each one, then for my top 25 of all time, post a review for each one for the next twenty-five days. As of tonight, I have made a staggering list of films beginning with 1921’s The Kid and ending with the most current film I’ve seen which is this month’s Envy. I’ve learned that I’ve seen one helluva lot of movies, and that it will not be entirely easy to make a conclusive list, but I’m going for it anyway because, like I said, I just might get some attention.

I want to finish all twenty-five reviews before I begin my post (I’ve written two that I knew would be in the 25) so I can post it daily like I planned without any time constraints to deal with.

Thanks again everybody for showing interest and I promise that I will make this a worthwhile project.

BTW: The ideas for this post is partially due to Holden Pike, because this is how he figured out his top ten. Thanks Sir Holden of Pike.

Hey everybody.

I appreciate all the interest I get in my review thread and wouldn’t dream of abandoning it completely; I enjoy the attention far too much for that to happen. Yet, I have a large project that I’m working on for the thread and am focusing all my energies on it at the moment. My plan is that I will go through every year of cinema and figure out my favorite ten movies for each of them. After I’m done with that I will figure which ten movies of each decade are my favorites, then from there, I will be able to make a more definitive top 100 list than my previous one. My main goal for this project is to make a post of the top 75 with comments and small pictures for each one, then for my top 25 of all time, post a review for each one for the next twenty-five days. As of tonight, I have made a staggering list of films beginning with 1921’s The Kid and ending with the most current film I’ve seen which is this month’s Envy. I’ve learned that I’ve seen one helluva lot of movies, and that it will not be entirely easy to make a conclusive list, but I’m going for it anyway because, like I said, I just might get some attention.

I want to finish all twenty-five reviews before I begin my post (I’ve written two that I knew would be in the 25) so I can post it daily like I planned without any time constraints to deal with.

Thanks again everybody for showing interest and I promise that I will make this a worthwhile project.

BTW: The ideas for this post is partially due to Holden Pike, because this is how he figured out his top ten. Thanks Sir Holden of Pike.
ill be waiting for the list, and your review on OUATITW. BUT I I HOPE envy is not on your top 100 list. that movie is baD with a capital D.

Originally Posted by poeman
ill be waiting for the list, and your review on OUATITW. BUT I I HOPE envy is not on your top 100 list. that movie is baD with a capital D.
I liked Envy, but it's not on my top 1,000 list.