Oscar's Best Animated Feature 2023

Tools    

Oscar's Best Animated Feature will be...?
83.33%
10 votes
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
16.67%
2 votes
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
0%
0 votes
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
0%
0 votes
The Sea Beast
0%
0 votes
Turning Red
12 votes. You may not vote on this poll

And the five nominees are...

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
The Sea Beast
Turning Red
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Pinocchio is a lock
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Yeah, I'm normally an auto-watch on all their major features but I've skipped a few, and I heard bad things about that one. Might give it a try anyway, I dunno.

I've heard great things about Marcel though, so I'll just say that one.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Turning Red was alright. It worked for what it was but didn't really have the charm or universality of the best Pixars.

I've only seen the trailer for Puss in Boots and it looked excruciating.

Same re: Puss in Boots, and I'd have no interest in it normally...except I've just been hearing great things about it from several different places, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Yeah Turning Red was lower tier Pixar but hey I did like that it was set in my city. Actually pretty close to the area of the city it was set.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Sea Beast? I wasn’t even aware it existed.
My three-year-old granddaughter was watching it one day, via Netflix. I had never heard of it before that, and I hadn't thought about it since. Until I heard it called this morning.

I've seen Pinocchio, Turning Red, and Sea Beast. I think the best one was Turning Red and The Sea Beast was really good. Pinocchio was good but it is mainly because its technical features.

Yeah Turning Red was lower tier Pixar but hey I did like that it was set in my city. Actually pretty close to the area of the city it was set.
I agree with you regarding Turning Red...severely overrated.

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen 4/5 so far - I'm only missing Marcel the Shell With Shoes On.

It really seems like this is a two-horse race between Marcel and Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio. With the latter you've got a classic story everyone loves, and it's been animated in a wonderful and incredibly detailed manner. Not only that but providing the voices are some of the greatest talents on Earth. It looks good, sounds good and is great - when I saw it I thought it was a lock, but there's heaps of talk about Marcel also, so that one is challenging.

I thought Turning Red was just average. The Sea Beast was good, and the "beasts" in that film were incredibly well created and beautiful to watch. Puss in Boots was a lot of fun, and possibly the funniest out of the five, but it doesn't have that extra dimension needed to win.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Haven’t seen Puss In Boots or Sea Best, but I don’t plan to. I used to be so into animation, I don’t know what happened. Pinnochio by a nose over Marcel. Get it?

This category is tight. Probably tightest of the lot. I see Pinocchio winning. But it could easily be any of the others. Apart from Sea Beast. It was good, but not a winner!

Turning Red with its message, Marcel the Shell was very deep and thoughtful movie, Puss in Boots was subtle with its humour and was a great laugh. If its not Pinocchio i would love to see Marcel win it, but Oscars love the big names.