30th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Sanma no aji aka An Autumn Afternoon (1962)

This is my third Yasujirô Ozu film. My initial respect and admiration have grown into genuine endearment with this, his final film with a variation of my second Ozu film Late Spring. And much like that film features a truly beautiful and touching ending as the father, once more played by Chishû Ryû, faces the first night alone after his daughter's wedding.
For some oddball reason, I was surprised by just how magnificent the color scheme was, as if the switch from B&W (Shadows and Light) to Color would be a problematic switch of the medium. Silly moi. But it was gorgeous all the same and, along with particular dialogue, seemed to add an extra dash of warmth to the interactions that my prior two films that, included A Hen in the Wind, had a more restrained, reserved ambiance to the characters previously. Understandably HitW had a more dramatic storyline, and I could be simply warming up to Ozu, but it did feel, as a whole, a warmer story and movie. Late Autumn does seem to be one with the MOST drinking though LOL. And it may be a sign of the times for Japan that the women are more vocal about what they think and feel, and those moments made me chuckle.
Along with everyone else, one standout performance I immensely enjoyed was Eijirô Tôno as The Gourd, whom I remember from Yojimba as the taciturn Bar owner, along with the result of his daughter not making her own life and remaining with him. Quite moving.

So, BRAVO raul! THANK YOU for nominating this.

And it begins...

Coming in dead last are two movies at least somebody liked

Tied for Last Place 8th
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
Siddon
33 points

and

Valley of the Dolls (1967)
Citizen
33 points

This may be a first for HoFs with two tying last.

I had LaDiLA at 7th and VofD at 6 but thoroughly enjoyed both and regret having to place them where I did.

Okay, this WAS my last place, and ONLY due to how harsh a watch it was. Going on the List of Amazing Films That Kill Me To Endure But Thankful to View.