MoFo Fantasy Baseball 2023 - Signups

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
To me, the bottom of the ninth, with the game tied, bases loaded is one of the most thrilling parts of the game in baseball - this is where the psych-out, next mistake loses aspect of the game is magnified to intense extremes. These moments are why I watch the game in first place. To have it all deflated like this just takes all the wind out of my sails. As in, if that happened to me enough times, I would stop watching baseball entirely. Can we have an exception for the bottom of the ninth, maybe? Blimey...

I'm guessing that the umps will be a little more lax later in the season and in the playoffs. But they can't say that they will be. And maybe they won't be. This is obviously going to require an adjustment from the players, but it's certainly doable for them all.

But can you imagine if the outcome of a big game, like the Super Bowl, was largely determined by a terrible, subjective call?

Yeah I'd really like there to be an exemption for late innings and/or postseason. People taking their time with the game on the line, or in the most important games, isn't the problem.

I'm optimistic that the new rules will be very good for baseball though. Faster pace of play, more balls in play with the shift ban (but really shift limitations). Through the first weekend of ST games, the average game has been 22 minutes faster with 1.5 more runs compared to last year.

A system of cells interlinked
Yes, on the other side of the coin, players like Nomar (It's Nomahhh, people...Nomahhhh) used to drive me batty with their bizarre habits and ticks, so I guess something needed to be done to curb that stuff.

One imperfect comparison of players adapting is from the last round of rule changes, which eliminated collisions at home plate and avoidable take-out slides on the bases. The play at home comes up periodically because managers like to do desperation challenges on plays at home (since the upside is so high), but really neither are called very often now.

It's time for my first-ever internet vent. I am so mad.

I hated the idea of a clock when they started talking about it, but with all the other goofy stuff they've put in it seemed like it might not be that big of a deal. I was wrong. This is worse than handing out free baserunners a couple times a month. It entirely changes my response to the game as a viewer. The relaxation/anticipation has been replaced by a constant humming anxiety.

I know it won't happen, but this is the first time "maybe I'll just stop watching" has ever crossed my mind as a serious thought.

Baseball has jumped the shark. They refuse to address the biggest issue which is the umpires. We have the technology now, they are simply no longer needed. I'm not surprised fans are already thinking about watching even less than they already do. Why have a clock if the result of the pitch is still left up to some dude that may or may not need glasses?

Baseball has jumped the shark. They refuse to address the biggest issue which is the umpires. We have the technology now, they are simply no longer needed. I'm not surprised fans are already thinking about watching even less than they already do. Why have a clock if the result of the pitch is still left up to some dude that may or may not need glasses?

Actually they need to keep the umps and loosen up on the rules against managers b!tching at them. A perfect product can be boring.

The only reason that I would want robot umpires is because I hate the concept of pitch framing. I think it's an annoying way to have a large influence on the game, and it's impossible for fans to really see it happening. I otherwise don't mind the umpires and am okay with missed calls here and there. I wish the umpire union would "retire" some guys, like Angel Hernandez.

As for the clock, I'm very excited for this season and think the clock + shift limitation will be big improvements for viewing. I think the clock may still need some tweaks, but the overall idea is good in my opinion.

I think robo-umps, or at least the option to challenge ball/strike calls, will be coming in the next couple years.

The only reason that I would want robot umpires is because I hate the concept of pitch framing. I think it's an annoying way to have a large influence on the game, and it's impossible for fans to really see it happening.

You can see it happening on TV. Which reminds me of another much less dramatic annoyance I have with the current presentation. I got pretty good at calling balls and strikes (as well as whether the umpire would call a ball or strike) when they started showing the strike zone graphic on the side of the screen, but now that it's overlaid on the actual zone in real time, my brain doesn't do that work anymore.

Breaking away from current rule changes, anybody remember the transfer rule from (April) 2014? Fun times.

You're right, you can see it on TV. You can't really see it in-person at a game.

I'm sure it's extremely difficult to frame a pitch very effectively and not move at all when you receive it, but I still don't really like it. Basically, you're watching for "nothing" to happen. I'd rather just see more balls hit into play, even if they're just routine fielding plays.

I think robo-umps, or at least the option to challenge ball/strike calls, will be coming in the next couple years.
I think you're right about this. I think there have been discussions about it already.

Breaking away from current rule changes, anybody remember the transfer rule from (April) 2014? Fun times.
Yes! I don't think all of these things happened simultaneously, but there was the change to allow challenges, changes in the transfer, and eliminating take-out slides. The first few months with the transfer rule were really annoying.

Yes! I don't think all of these things happened simultaneously, but there was the change to allow challenges, changes in the transfer, and eliminating take-out slides. The first few months with the transfer rule were really annoying.

I remember a Josh Donaldson running into an out after Dustin Ackley caught the ball and dropped in on the transfer... in left field. He was not pleased.

Look out world, just had my third C+ mock.

I've gotten exactly the same score (79) every time except the one where I didn't draft any pitchers until I had a full lineup.