I heard a rumor there will be a Joker 2 movie

Tools    

I heard a rumor there will be a Joker 2 movie and it will be released 2021. While skimming through mercuryhd today, a post caught my attention about the release of Joker 2. I was surprised and thought I should bring the topic here because if there anything I want most, it will be another Joker movie cast by Joaquin Phoenix

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
psssttt....

I heard a rumor that whenever a movie crosses the $1b threshold, the sequel gets automatically green-lit.

psssttttt...........

I think I just wet myself

I think when a movie does that well off that budget it's inevitable there will be a sequel. And it seems Phoenix might be down creatively for a sequel which is promising because he wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it I'd imagine. I saw a youtube video that had a really great idea for a sequel that intrigued me. Since the first one was heavily inspired by Taxi Driver maybe make the 2nd one inspired by One That Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest with the Joker in Arkham Asylum. You keep the story small and contained like the first one but you develop the Joker's character into more of a cunning, manipulative villainous worthy of Batman's rival. Plus you can dive into other villains of the Batman world eventually. It was a very interesting take, I'll let the video explain it better.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I think when a movie does that well off that budget it's inevitable there will be a sequel. And it seems Phoenix might be down creatively for a sequel which is promising because he wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it I'd imagine. ...
I think that the enormous piles of cash that they will shove Phoenix's way will overcome any artistic objections he may have. Hopefully they'll keep him away from the writing process...

Welcome to the human race...
Eh, we'll see about that. I would think that a cursory glance at the man's filmography indicates he doesn't exactly choose the most lucrative projects, let alone sequels.

Yeah, if Joker 2 happens with Phoenix onboard, it’ll be because he respects and is interested in the vision of the film, not because of the paycheck. I think films like I’m Still Here and Lou make it pretty clear that he’s not that interested in being popular and rich.

Y'all may have something there. He's worth way up into 8 figures, owns homes in NYC and Hollywood hills. So he likely does not have to be concerned about being rich and popular. He already is.

Also his fiancee, Rooney Mara, is worth $12M on her own. So they're not worrying about where their next tofu is coming from...

Y'all may have something there. He's worth way up into 8 figures, owns homes in NYC and Hollywood hills.
Yes, he has plenty of money. Nobody is disputing that. But he doesn’t make decisions about which films to sign on to based on what they’re paying him. Otherwise we would have seen him in superhero stuff years ago.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Eh, we'll see about that. I would think that a cursory glance at the man's filmography indicates he doesn't exactly choose the most lucrative projects, let alone sequels.
I think most actors have to sign up for sequels these days, even for movies unlikely to have a sequel. You would think that this applies to a comic book movie like Joker.

Although with some of the choosier actors like Phoenix or say Daniel Day Lewis perhaps they wouldn't be signing such a deal, or if a film is such an obvious one off it wouldn't be needed.

Ive seen actors talk about this in interviews that it's standard practice now.

I heard a similar rumour too and since I'm a Joker Lover I'm hoping that it's true !

You don't really need Joaquin Phoenix for Joker II or III

Actually what Todd Phillips should do is shoot the Joker films back to back one with Phoenix and then one with an old Joker and old Batman.

It would be fascinating to see Mark Hamill get an Oscar 50 years after Star Wars.