31st Hall of Fame

Tools    

Good choices everyone, this looks like it's going to be a fun HoF...

My guess as to who chose what is:
Sons of the Desert 1933 - Allaby
Sunset Boulevard 1950
The Duelists 1977 - Phoenix
Days of Heaven 1978 -Torgo

Interiors 1978 - Sean
The Verdict 1982 - Siddon
Herod's Law 1999 - Cricket
Gone Baby Gone - Rauldc
A Hero 2021 - Wyldesyde

Which must mean I picked the remaining one, or did I?

My guesses:

Sons of the Desert - Allaby
Sunset Boulevard - Citizen
The Duellists - Sean
Days of Heaven - Cricket
Interiors - Phoenix
Herod's Law - Siddon
Gone Baby Gone - Wyldesyde
A Hero - Rauldc

Sons of the Desert - Allaby
Sunset Boulevard - Citizen
Days of Heaven -Sean
Interiors - Phoenix
The Verdict -Torgo
Herod's Law - Wyldesyde
Gone Baby Gone - Rauldc
A Hero - Cricket

As usually I haven't seen many of the noms, only 3 of 9. Which is strange because I do watch a movie a day but not the movies you guys watch I guess I'll be watching all 9 of them so I have a fresh memory of them when it comes to voting.

Sons of the Desert - I watched it once wasn't that impressed by it

Sunset Blvd -Maybe one of the five greatest films to never win Best Picture so it should do pretty well.

The Duelists - This was my picka film I saw recently that I would give five stars to

Days of Heaven - I saw it once...boring to the point of being annoying

Interiors - It's nice to see a Woody Allen film show up...this is more of a lesser Allen film but I look forward to the revisit.

The Verdict - one of the few films I gave a second chance to and loved it. I think you have to be of a certain age and mindset to enjoy this one. This hall defiantly has a theme.

Gone Baby Gone - this was my favorite film of that year so It'll likely score highly on the rewatch.

A Hero - blind watch
Herod's Law - blind watch

My prediction is Sunset Boulevard wins. It is such a fabulous Billy Wilder movie. Wilder is great as both a writer and a director. You are going to love this if you haven't seen it before.

The trick is not minding
Sons of the Desert*
Haven’t seen, has been on my watch list for a decade at least

Sunset Boulevard*
Great film. Wilder is a master!

The Duellists
One of only a handful of Ridley Scott films I have yet to see, so looking forward to this.
Days of Heaven*
Saw it once about 15 years ago, liked it, didn’t love it which I can say about most Malick films.

Interiors*
Loved it. Top 5 Allen
The Verdict*
Saw this once about 15 years ago I think? Liked it, could definitely use a rewatch
Herod's Law*
My pick. Started to dive further into Mexican cinema outside the “Three Amigos” (Innaritu, Cauron and Del Torro) side note, fits nicely into a double bill with Perfect Dictatorship by the same director

Gone Baby Gone*
Really liked this one

A Hero*
Watched this last year and enjoyed it.

Sons of the Desert*
Haven’t seen, has been on my watch list for a decade at least

Sunset Boulevard*
Great film. Wilder is a master!

The Duellists
One of only a handful of Ridley Scott films I have yet to see, so looking forward to this.
Days of Heaven*
Saw it once about 15 years ago, liked it, didn’t love it which I can say about most Malick films.

Interiors*
Loved it. Top 5 Allen
The Verdict*
Saw this once about 15 years ago I think? Liked it, could definitely use a rewatch
Herod's Law*
My pick. Started to dive further into Mexican cinema outside the “Three Amigos” (Innaritu, Cauron and Del Torro) side note, fits nicely into a double bill with Perfect Dictatorship by the same director

Gone Baby Gone*
Really liked this one

A Hero*
Watched this last year and enjoyed it.
Have you seen El Infierno? I loved it but it never occurred to me to check out what else the director has done.

Interiors

This wasn't as hard hitting as the first time I watched it but it's still probably my favorite Woody Allen film. I immediately thought of Bergman, and a look at some of the reviews confirms that's a common observation. Allen doesn't appear in the film and there's not a drop of humor. If this is my favorite Woody Allen film, I'm probably not the biggest Woody Allen fan. I find it interesting that these characters seem to have no severe problems yet happiness eludes them. Strong performances and dialogue.

+

The trick is not minding
Have you seen El Infierno? I loved it but it never occurred to me to check out what else the director has done.
I haven’t yet, but it’s on my watch list! I’ve heard it’s pretty good.

I forgot the opening line.
Wow - I've seen a fair few of these, and have them on DVD, which means I can hit the ground running.

Sons of the Desert - I've never seen a full-length Laurel and Hardy film before. This'll be interesting, but I'm not sure if I'll like it or not - I'll go in with an open mind and look over the film carefully so I get every little comedic nuance.

Sunset Boulevard - Amazing, incredible - already the winner in my book. I'm surprised this hasn't won a previous Hall of Fame.

The Duelists - I have the Imprint DVD release of this, and I've been meaning to give it a second watch because I remember nothing from the first. I was probably not concentrating properly - and I look forward to getting to know the film properly.

Days of Heaven - I've been meaning to see this for a long time. I'll get the Criterion edition if there is one, and if it's available.

Interiors - Saw this a long, long time ago - I have it on DVD, and I'm in a much better place movie-watching-wise to appreciate it more than that first viewing.

The Verdict - Funny, I've been thinking about this film recently and how I need to see it again. I don't think I have for over 30 years, and I reckon I'll enjoy it.

Herod's Law - Never heard of this one - the only film I can say that for! The real dark horse.

Gone Baby Gone - This is really, really good. I don't mind watching this again, even if I last saw it only a year or so ago. It's one of those great films I can always enjoy.

A Hero - This film is really good - in fact, really great ;-)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I'm going to try and do this for each film that's nominated as I come across them. See how I go anyway, just for fun and to see how each film fared on the awards circuit - it at least takes me beyond the Oscars as a measure of how critically successful a film is.

INTERIORS (1978)

Awards Leaderboard

10 - Woody Allen (2 wins)
5 - Maureen Stapleton (2 wins)
5 - Geraldine Page (2 wins)
2 - Diane Keaton (1 win)

- Oscars

Nom - Best Actress in a Leading Role - Geraldine Page
Nom - Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Maureen Stapleton
Nom - Best Director - Woody Allen
Nom - Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen - Woody Allen
Nom - Best Art Direction-Set Decoration - Mel Bourne & Daniel Robert

- BAFTAs

Nom - Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles - Mary Beth Hurt
Nom - Best Supporting Actress - Geraldine Page

- Golden Globes

Nom - Best Director - Motion Picture - Woody Allen
Nom - Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama - Geraldine Page
Nom - Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Motion Picture - Maureen Stapleton
Nom - Best Screenplay - Motion Picture - Woody Allen

- Writer's Guild of America

Nom - Best Drama Written Directly for the Screen - Woody Allen

- Sant Jordi Awards

WIN - Best Foreign Film (Mejor Película Extranjera) - Woody Allen

- Fotogramas de Plata

WIN - Best Foreign Movie Performer (Mejor intérprete de cine extranjero) - Diane Keaton

- National Society of Film Critics Awards

Nom - Best Supporting Actress - Maureen Stapleton
Nom - Best Screenplay - Woody Allen (5th Place)

- Los Angeles Film Critics Association

WIN - Best Supporting Actress - Maureen Stapleton
Nom - Best Director - Woody Allen
Nom - Best Supporting Actress - Geraldine Page
Nom - Best Screenplay - Woody Allen

- Kansas City Film Critics Circle Awards

WIN - Best Film
WIN - Best Actress - Geraldine Page
WIN - Best Director - Woody Allen

- New York Film Critics Circle Awards

WIN - Best Supporting Actress - Maureen Stapleton

- National Board of Review Awards

WIN - Top Ten Films

- Jupiter Awards

Nom - Best International Actress - Diane Keaton

Awards Leaderboard

10 - Woody Allen (2 wins)
5 - Maureen Stapleton (2 wins)
5 - Geraldine Page (2 wins)
2 - Diane Keaton (1 win)

Interiors - 1978

Directed by Woody Allen

Written by Woody Allen

Starring Kristin Griffith, Mary Beth Hurt, Richard Jordan, Diane Keaton
E. G. Marshall, Geraldine Page, Maureen Stapleton & Sam Waterston

A long time ago, when my movie taste was considerably different to what it is now, I bought myself a Woody Allen boxed set with the likes of Bananas, Sleeper and Annie Hall in it - but there was one curious inclusion I'd never heard of - Interiors. My first surprise was that this is a Woody Allen film in which he didn't feature as an actor. It was quite common for films from 1985 or later for Woody to take a back seat acting-wise, but before that he had a starring role in most everything he wrote and directed. This film of his happened to be the only film from this period I didn't know about, and when I watched it the film was so different from what he was making during that era that it blew my mind : I hated it. Decades later I come to Interiors with a new mindset, knowing what it's like and where the inspiration for it came from. My reaction to the film was a complete 180 degree turn-around - Interiors is actually a great film, and it profoundly moved me.

Arthur (E. G. Marshall) begins the film by narrating. His is an idyllic story at first, marrying Eve (Geraldine Page) and having three daughters, Renata (Diane Keaton), Joey (Mary Beth Hurt) and Flyn (Kristin Griffith) - but then he goes on to say "suddenly one day, out of nowhere, an enormous abyss opened up beneath our feet and I was staring into a face I didn't recognize." The narrative begins with Arthur announcing he wants to separate from Eve, and he does this with his daughters present at the table. Eve struggles with this throughout the film, at one stage attempting suicide, and she desperately tries to win Arthur back through their daughters. Renata is a poet, and married to Frederick (Richard Jordan) and living with existential dread. Joey is uncertain about her career path, and is in a relationship with Mike (Sam Waterston) - she appears to be the closest to Eve, but also resents her mother's dependence on her emotional support. Flyn is an actress, and often too far away to regularly socialize with the family unit. When Arthur brings a new woman home, Pearl (Maureen Stapleton), after a trip to Greece, it stirs resentment, fear and emotional turmoil in every other member of the family.

Woody Allen found himself nominated for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay at the 1979 Oscars for Interiors (he'd won a Best Director Oscar and Best Original Screenplay the previous year for Annie Hall.) It's interesting to note that Allen's primary influence for this film was Ingmar Bergman, and that he was pitted against Bergman for Autumn Sonata in the Best Screenplay category. Both men lost out to Nancy Dowd, the great Waldo Salt and Robert C. Jones who had written the screenplay for Coming Home. A tough category, but I might have just voted for Autumn Sonata myself, despite the great quality of Allen's Interiors. Apparently he wasn't completely confident doing straight drama yet, but that's probably because he wanted this to be perfect, and it already stands out from most offerings from '78. He said 'Well, we pulled this one out by the short hairs, didn't we?' to editor Ralph Rosenblum - obviously the editing was a critical stage for this one.

I enjoyed the fact that every character in this tale had a very layered and complex history. They all had things going on. For example, Renata's husband Frederick feels inadequate and diminished, for his writing career isn't going as well as that of his wife. She tries to support him and give him confidence, but this is just seen by him as empty platitudes and unwarranted praise. He needs outside validation, but the critics are rubbishing his work and he feels tortured. Later in the film he tries to drunkenly get something going with Flyn, but she rejects his advances which leads to one horrifying moment when he tries to rape her. She manages to fight him off, and we never see the eventual fallout from such a dark moment in the film. The film can focus so intently on side-characters because of it's small cast - the only other people we see are these characters at a younger age, and only in a brief flashback.

One thing that throws the dark and somber movie into a more interesting light is the introduction of Maureen Stapleton's Pearl. She's not an intellectual - unlike every single other member of the family, and as such is an even greater outsider than she would have been. Her cheery nature is at such odds to the depressed and melancholy Eve, and obviously this is why Arthur left Eve - he couldn't deal with that darker side of life. Stapleton brings a big bright change to the film, as she plays the only character who can arrive on the scene free from the darkness and sorrow growing at the heart of Arthur's daughters. She ended up being nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar, but Maggie Smith won for her role in California Suite. Allen has often said that he wished he'd introduced Pearl earlier, but only because critics thought the first half of the film was too dour. I like it the way it is, and enjoy films that sometimes have very distinct halves.

In the meantime, Geraldine Page occupies the film's very heart. The sadness is coming from her, and although she'd already been that kind of character before her husband had left, his leaving completely destroys her. I felt so sad for Eve, and Allen does such things as have her break down in tears during her birthday celebrations, telling her daughters that she has nothing left to live for. The hope she keeps on displaying, despite the fact that her situation is hopeless, really gets to me. She should be at a stage in her life where she's helping her daughters - but instead her daughters are trying to prop her up and support her. Page is fantastic in this, and she received her third Oscar nomination for Best Actress (won by Jane Fonda for Coming Home) - she would win on her fifth nomination, just a year before her death in 1986, for her role in The Trip to Bountiful. Woody Allen had initially wanted Ingrid Bergman to play the part of Eve, but funnily enough she couldn't because she was too busy appearing in Autumn Sonata.

The film is very well shot by Allen's 70s and 80s regular cinematographer Gordon Willis, and both Mel Bourne and Daniel Robert would be nominated for a Best Art Direction/Set Decoration Oscar (won by Heaven Can Wait) - Page is playing a great interior decorator after all. I love that the film's title is "Interiors" - a very nice play on the word and it's many meanings. There's not much music in it, and no accompanying score - which matches the coldness and somber tone of much that happens in this. It's somewhat ironic that I often come away from these films energized and happy, despite how sad they are - I'm just so glad that I've just watched a really great film that I got a lot out of. Woody Allen was 43-years-old when Interiors came out, and although I'm older than that now, I think being around this age gives a person a much better perspective, and a lot more understanding so they can relate to what happens in this. I can see a lot of really young people being turned off - but I thought it was excellent, and a key moment in Allen's career. If he'd failed at this, he might have stuck to comedy for much longer, but the fact that he "pulled this one out by the short hairs" set him up to produce a body of work nearly unparalleled in U.S. film history. That he could explore so many interiors in such an exacting and empathetic way is something that deserves credit and respect.

Sunset Boulevard

When I saw this nominated I just assumed it would battle for last place on my ballot. I had seen it multiple times already and I just never cared for it. Now I can't even remember what I didn't like about it, but I think it had something to do with the character of Norma Desmond.

Perhaps due to what countdowns we've been doing, I haven't been watching as many classics the last couple of years. This occurs to me because my first thought once I put this on was how nice it was to be watching a film so well done in that classic style. I appreciated it right away. The story and the character of Desmond just worked for me this time, whereas before the lead performance just came off as over the top. I can now understand why so many view it as a masterpiece. I felt the same way until the last 20 minutes or so, which I can't pinpoint a problem with, but it just felt a little flat. I always hope to not see films nominated that I've already seen multiple times, but it's great when it ends up with me having new appreciation for a revered classic.

Sunset Boulevard

When I saw this nominated I just assumed it would battle for last place on my ballot. I had seen it multiple times already and I just never cared for it. Now I can't even remember what I didn't like about it, but I think it had something to do with the character of Norma Desmond.

Perhaps due to what countdowns we've been doing, I haven't been watching as many classics the last couple of years. This occurs to me because my first thought once I put this on was how nice it was to be watching a film so well done in that classic style. I appreciated it right away. The story and the character of Desmond just worked for me this time, whereas before the lead performance just came off as over the top. I can now understand why so many view it as a masterpiece. I felt the same way until the last 20 minutes or so, which I can't pinpoint a problem with, but it just felt a little flat. I always hope to not see films nominated that I've already seen multiple times, but it's great when it ends up with me having new appreciation for a revered classic.

Glad you liked it more this time around. The reason I chose it was the war countdown...No it's not a war film but I just rewatched Stalag 17 and realized that Billy Wilder effortlessly blends dire consequences with life's irrelevant humor that seems to pop up when we at least expect it. Sometimes it does seem life plays strange jokes on us and Wilder taps into that. He might be my favorite director.

Then there's William Holden, who effortlessly plays his role without ever feeling slimey. He makes his decisions as bad as they are seem reasonable. I'd count him as a favorite actor.

Glad you liked it more this time around. The reason I chose it was the war countdown...No it's not a war film but I just rewatched Stalag 17 and realized that Billy Wilder effortlessly blends dire consequences with life's irrelevant humor that seems to pop up when we at least expect it. Sometimes it does seem life plays strange jokes on us and Wilder taps into that. He might be my favorite director.

Then there's William Holden, who effortlessly plays his role without ever feeling slimey. He makes his decisions as bad as they are seem reasonable. I'd count him as a favorite actor.
I'm also a big fan of Wilder and Holden. Who isn't?

Sons of the Desert

Knew this would be a tough one for me being fairly familiar with Laurel and Hardy humor. I certainly need to see more of their stuff though, so I wasn’t disappointed it showed. It really never worked for me, I think I did manage one chuckle. Straight comedy is tough, because if the laughs aren’t working, there really isn’t anything else to latch onto. Sorry I didn’t enjoy it more, but glad to have seen it.

Sons of the Desert (1933)

I haven't been much of a fan of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy though I do realize the unique comic talent that these two men had. Being that Sons of the Desert was the first time I've seen Laurel and Hardy in a feature length movie it gave me something that their comic shorts don't....character backstory. I enjoyed seeing their martial lives and where they lived and their wives too. I got a kick out of Stan's wife who shows up for the first time with a shotgun in one hand and dead ducks in the other! Wow...that was a good move on the director's part as she looks dangerous, poor little Stan. I liked the other actress too who played Oliver's wife.

There was some funny bits in the film that made me laugh out loud and I'm glad I watched it.