The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

So I'm reading the plot summary for Themroc and, I'm sorry, but "Made on a low budget with no intelligible dialog," is EXACTLY the kind of movie I want in at least one of the nominations. Not all of them, mind you, but c'mon. Live a little!

In this moment, would I rather rewatch Citizen Kane for the nth time, or watch a 70s film where a worker becomes a caveman? You already know the answer to that question.

The trick is not minding
I pretty much enjoy watching those films that I haven’t seen before, especially those from other countries. I purposely seek out these types of films, and I’m constantly searching for older films from various countries for this purpose.

That’s why Daisies and In a Glass Cage, another nomination maligned for its selection (and one I enjoyed),were worthwhile to me

movies can be okay...
So I'm reading the plot summary for Themroc and, I'm sorry, but "Made on a low budget with no intelligible dialog," is EXACTLY the kind of movie I want in at least one of the nominations. Not all of them, mind you, but c'mon. Live a little!
Added to my watchlist.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

That's not what I meant and maybe I should reclarify. I'll summarize by saying is Themroc and Daisies Hall of Fame candidate worthy?
As others have said, yes those movies are worthy of an HoF. Both are highly rated at IMDB. I loved Daisies, so did my wife. The film I was going to nominate for this HoF is generally panned & low rated at IMDB...BUT the important part is, I believe it to be a great film. Maybe I'll nom in the 28th.

Couldn't tell that by her reviews. Hell one was an atrocious blind watch...
I agree with you on this. I think that's where the problem stems from. It's not Ueno herself who seems cool but it's that she blows off the majority of the films with a flippant, one liner insult. Which then to some sounds disingenuous.

I've hated on a LOT of noms myself, usually I hate about 1/3 of them but I do write a detailed enough review so people can see where I'm coming from in my opinion. I would suggest Ueno explain a bit more in her reviews what the problems with the movies are. That might help.

The main thing I've enjoyed about these tournaments is seeing movies I haven't seen before. Like, I know people want to win, but I've seen Vertigo and The Deer Hunter and No Country for Old Men and I know why they're great and why people think they're great...
I've seen a lot of films but I have not seen 2 out of 3 of those (The Deer Hunter and No Country for Old Men).

This time I went with a well known film myself. Sometimes I don't. Just depends on my mood.

The trick is not minding

I agree with you on this. I think that's where the problem stems from. It's not Ueno herself who seems cool but it's that she blows off the majority of the films with a flippant, one liner insult. Which then to some sounds disingenuous.

I've hated on a LOT of noms myself, usually I hate about 1/3 of them but I do write a detailed enough review so people can see where I'm coming from in my opinion. I would suggest Ueno explain a bit more in her reviews what the problems with the movies are. That might help.

While I wouldn’t say her reviews are insightful, and definitely dismissive and lacking on good faith effort in giving the films a fair attempt, she does typically write a few paragraphs in regards to these films from what I’ve remembered.

While I wouldn’t say her reviews are insightful, and definitely dismissive and lacking on good faith effort in giving the films a fair attempt, she does typically write a few paragraphs in regards to these films from what I’ve remembered.
"one liner reviews" was a generalization describing the brief nature of the negative movie reviews by Ueno. It describes the feeling of those reviews as opposed to the actually word count. Taken as a whole I'm perceiving that some members are under the impression she's not serious about this HoF endeavor and some might question if she has finished the films or not...I'm not saying she's not serious. I'm not saying she didn't watch the films...I'm saying that type of review she does can send up red flags to some individuals. That's what I think is going on with the various complaints and Raul wasn't the only person to complain in the last HoF (and no I didn't complain in the 26th. I'm trying to help)

i'm in. gonna nominate some superhero bs since my original pick just doesn't exist on the internet it seems.
And now she's nominating a "BS" Superhero movie. And yes those are her words too.
I do understand where Raul is coming from, so let's not give him grief as he's got a point: When someone says rather flippantly that they can't find the movie they want, so they are going with a BS nom...that sounds problematic to me.

*Note: I did message Ueno earlier and offered to help find her first movie choice.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I hope it sets up to me joining. I'm just saying I'm not putting myself through a Themroc/In a Glass Cage scenario.

Probably came across as a temper tantrum. I obviously don't expect to like every film I just legitimately want people to nominate films they like and not nominate just to get people to watch a strange/absurb film for the hell of it.

to clarify, the superhero bs im nominating is something i've wanted to nominate for awhile because i genuinely loved it last time i saw it. as for my reviews being bad im just a very shallow film watcher.

I obviously don't expect to like every film I just legitimately want people to nominate films they like and not nominate just to get people to watch a strange/absurb film for the hell of it.
Sure, but judging from her reviews, ueno did enjoy both Themroc and Daisies, so I don't think the latter applies for her.

also the superhero bs was rejected. it was a miniseries and those being allowed or not seems to vary from host to host. so the replacement replacement nom is something ive legitimately never heard anyone say a bad word about so hope this one works out.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

In this moment, would I rather rewatch Citizen Kane for the nth time, or watch a 70s film where a worker becomes a caveman? You already know the answer to that question.
Go watch it then. Have fun.

also i admit Themroc was an off the grid pull. it was the first general HoF i was in and coming off of one genre HoF prior which are a bit more lax seemingly I thought that would be fine. im not gonna blind pick again, at least not entirely (will probably do a lot of things i saw a long time ago and want to revisit). you can go look at the list of my favourite films i posted here awhile ago Daisies is in the top 10 and it has been for a long time that was a very genuine nomination i assure you.

I hope it sets up to me joining. I'm just saying I'm not putting myself through a Themroc/In a Glass Cage scenario.

Probably came across as a temper tantrum. I obviously don't expect to like every film I just legitimately want people to nominate films they like and not nominate just to get people to watch a strange/absurb film for the hell of it.
In a Glass Cage was on my all-time top-100 ballot so what's your issue with it again?