Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

i loved the cast and i love the music, melissa mcarthy was perfect as ursula shes perfect as a villian , halle bailey has amazing singing voice

i saw it few weeks ago may 3rd on advance screenings

'Cherry' (2023)

Cherry is a young magician who hasn't found her calling in life yet. She lives in the shadow of her successful sister. She falls pregnant to her boyfriend who isn't that into her, and must decide whether to keep the baby.

It's a comedy drama abortion film. Sounds very difficult to pull off and the director Sophie Galibert doesn't quite nail it . There are some laughs but it's just a little short on the drama and dialogue, and there are alot of noticeable editing / dubbing issues which takes the viewer out of the film.

A film with alot of heart but not enough meat on the bones. if you're after an abortion drama you're better off watching the excellent 'Never , rarely, sometimes, always'.

5.8/10

'Cherry' (2023)

Cherry is a young magician who hasn't found her calling in life yet. She lives in the shadow of her successful sister. She falls pregnant to her boyfriend who isn't that into her, and must decide whether to keep the baby.

It's a comedy drama abortion film. Sounds very difficult to pull off and the director Sophie Galibert doesn't quite nail it . There are some laughs but it's just a little short on the drama and dialogue, and there are alot of noticeable editing / dubbing issues which takes the viewer out of the film.

A film with alot of heart but not enough meat on the bones. if you're after an abortion drama you're better off watching the excellent 'Never , rarely, sometimes, always'.

5.8/10

I have this in one of my numerous watchlists.

Strange teenagers who murder the mother of one of them. True story from NZ.

Best thing in this movie is that it introduced Kate Winslet & Melanie Lynskey to the movie world.

By [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24583384

Avanti! - (1972)

I've often felt myself divided when it comes to Billy Wilder - I absolutely love his serious stuff, but when it comes to his much-heralded comedic films they consistently fail to tickle me in the way they should ... 7.5/10
I'm curious as to whether or not you've ever seen Wilder's One, Two, Three and, if so, what you thought of it.

Yeah, I think it might've been a bit of growing pains as he got used to this more realistic approach to his stories and characters, something which he perfected later with The Wrong Man and especially Vertigo.
It's interesting that in Truffaut's interviews of Hitchcock, Hitchcock felt that the fundamental problem with I Confess --certainly in regards the audience-- was that only Catholics would understand that the priest may not disclose the secret of the confessional; but that Protestants, atheists and agnostics basically feel it is ridiculous that a priest would sacrifice his life for such a thing, even in 1952.

Because of that circumstance he later said in the interview that the picture ought not to have been made. I don't know if he was joking or not. Sandwiched between Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder, I Confess is an anomaly, although IMO a very good one.

Strange teenagers who murder the mother of one of them. True story from NZ.

Best thing in this movie is that it introduced Kate Winslet & Melanie Lynskey to the movie world.
So not a fan? I think this film is great.

10th Rewatch...An Emmy award winning actor and writer named Rob Reiner put himself on the map as a director and created a brand new movie genre called the Mockumentary, which was the basis of the Christopher Guest rep company, most of whom appear in this wicked satire about an aging rock and roll band struggling with coming back with the release of a new album for the first time in decades. Brett Michaels of Poison says watching this film makes him incredibly uncomfortable because everything in the movie is so on target. After almost 40 years, this movie still makes me laugh out loud. Love Bruno Kirby as the limo driver and Nigel complaining about the small sandwich bread backstage. Also love when they can't find their way to the stage in Cleveland.

I forgot the opening line.
I'm curious as to whether or not you've ever seen Wilder's One, Two, Three and, if so, what you thought of it.
That's on my watchlist for sure - I've never seen it and I'm growing more and more curious about the Wilder films I've yet to see.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

A Chorus Line (1985)

I never saw the Broadway show (which, according to critics, should have made me like the movie more since I had nothing superior to compare it to), but I did own the original Broadway album when I was young, so I knew all the words to the songs (and I loved the album so I was looking forward to finally viewing the movie version).

I tell ya... I almost put this down in the movies I couldn't even finish thread... but I stuck it out (although, since I was watching it on TCM OnDemand, I fast-forwarded through a couple parts).

Except for some of the chicks in their dancing outfits, I found this movie almost painful to sit through. Even though I was familiar with the basic premise due to the album, it was not what I was expecting. The dreary subplot with the Director's (Michael Douglas) ex-girlfriend auditioning for a job was almost as unwelcome as commercials - it just felt like it kept interrupting the only interesting parts which were the other dancers, and I was like, "Get back to the dancing girls & songs!"

The dancing was good, the singing - not so much, especially for a musical - and the vocal performances didn't compare to those on the original album.

Halfway through the movie it literally felt like it still hadn't actually started (then you realize what feels like a long intro IS the entire movie).

This kind of review isn't like me as I usually find something I enjoy in most movies, but I found this one overall "cringey". The best part was the final number at the end, which had the big song & everyone in golden tuxedos with top hats, but it was really only the best part because it marked the end of the movie.

A Chorus Line (1985)

I never saw the Broadway show (which, according to critics, should have made me like the movie more since I had nothing superior to compare it to), but I did own the original Broadway album when I was young, so I knew all the words to the songs (and I loved the album).

I tell ya... I almost put this down in the movies I couldn't even finish thread... but I stuck it out (although, since I was watching it on TCM OnDemand, I fast-forwarded through a couple parts).

Except for some of the chicks in their dancing outfits, I found this movie almost painful to sit through. Even though I was familiar with the basic premise due to the album, it was not what I was expecting. The dreary subplot with the Director's (Michael Douglass) ex-girlfriend auditioning for a job was almost as unwelcome as commercials - it just felt like it kept interrupting the only interesting parts which were the other dancers, and I was like, "Get back to the dancing girls & songs!"

The dancing was good, the singing - not so much, especially for a musical - and the vocal performances didn't compare to those on the original album.

Halfway through the movie it literally felt like it still hadn't actually started (then you realize what feels like a long into IS the entire movie).

This kind of review isn't like me as I usually find something I enjoy in most movies, but I found this one overall "cringey". The best part was the final number at the end, which had the big song & everyone in golden tuxedos with top hats, but it was really only the best part because it marked the end of the movie.

You're in good company, Gideon who LOVES musicals and even performed in some in college gave A Chorus Line a 2.5/5
I 'think' maybe I seen this and didn't like it and I really like musicals too. But I suppose one of these days I'll have to watch (or rewatch) it and find out for sure.

Except for some of the chicks in their dancing outfits, I found this movie almost painful to sit through.
Hot chicks in any movie is always a plus

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22535350

Shadowlands - (1993)

Interesting biopic here, exploring the nature of pain and suffering - especially in light of how you have to open yourself up to it in order to enjoy things and love. Famous author C. S. Lewis (Anthony Hopkins), staid, scholarly and intellectual, meets American poet Joy Davidman (Debra Winger). A friendship forms, and it's one of discussion and mental jousting - but as much as Lewis becomes more and more eager to be around Joy, she becomes frustrated that he doesn't open himself up emotionally. That changes when Joy collapses, and doctors discover that she has terminal cancer, and Lewis confesses his love for her. What was initially a marriage of convenience that let Joy stay in England is reconsecrated and the two enjoy what little time they have left together - after which Lewis has a new perspective on pain and suffering. Richard Attenborough brings a certain kind of cinematic mastery to every scene, and screenwriter William Nicholson found himself nominated for an Oscar - along with Debra Winger. This is the kind of film that has Oscar bait written all over it, and despite it being nearly perfect in every way - direction, writing, performance, cinematography etc, it didn't move me as much as I thought it might. Still, excellent movie - always a pleasure to watch an Attenborough film, as rich as they are in detail.

7.5/10

Raising Arizona (1987) -

This is yet another Coen brothers film I would consider great. While the overall kidnapping plot is memorable, I also found myself taken in by the smaller moments in the film which reaffirmed the various difficulties/anxieties of being a parent. Whether you're referring to H.I. attempting to take a family portrait, Ed's reaction to seeing their baby for the first time, or Glen's unruly family causing problems throughout H.I.'s property, there's a lot which leaves an impression on you. In addition to these small moments, a wide array of colorful characters populate H.I.'s and Ed's lives. There are prison escapees Gale and Evelle, furniture magnate Nathan Arizona, Glen's aforementioned unruly family, and a mysterious biker who attempts to rescue Nathan's kid. All these characters are vital to the plot as they all directly interfere with and complicate H.I.'s and Ed's wishes to start a family in one way or another. These subscenes and characters suit the film's parental themes really well and pair nicely with the anxieties/guilt H.I. and Ed have from the kidnapping. Speaking of which, though they're not the most likable characters, we at least get the only true ending for them (and some of the other side characters) which the film could've had, in typical Coen brothers fashion. The balance of hope and uncertainty we get suits their remorse over their crimes very well. The film is also quite fun as the various chase/fight scenes spread throughout are well-choreographed and consistently inventive with the set pieces and tension on display. Overall, this film really struck a chord with me and I wouldn't mind rewatching it sometime in the future.

Raising Arizona (1987) -

This is yet another Coen brothers film I would consider great. While the overall kidnapping plot is memorable, I also found myself taken in by the smaller moments in the film which reaffirmed the various difficulties/anxieties of being a parent. Whether you're referring to H.I. attempting to take a family portrait, Ed's reaction to seeing their baby for the first time, or Glen's unruly family causing problems throughout H.I.'s property, there's a lot which leaves an impression on you. In addition to these small moments, a wide array of colorful characters populate H.I.'s and Ed's lives. There are prison escapees Gale and Evelle, furniture magnate Nathan Arizona, Glen's aforementioned unruly family, and a mysterious biker who attempts to rescue Nathan's kid. All these characters are vital to the plot as they all directly interfere with and complicate H.I.'s and Ed's wishes to start a family in one way or another. These subscenes and characters suit the film's parental themes really well and pair nicely with the anxieties/guilt H.I. and Ed have from the kidnapping. Speaking of which, though they're not the most likable characters, we at least get the only true ending for them (and some of the other side characters) which the film could've had, in typical Coen brothers fashion. The balance of hope and uncertainty we get suits their remorse over their crimes very well. The film is also quite fun as the various chase/fight scenes spread throughout are well-choreographed and consistently inventive with the set pieces and tension on display. Overall, this film really struck a chord with me and I wouldn't mind rewatching it sometime in the future.
Very nice review! I've loved this film from the time I saw it when it was released. It's still my favorite Coen Bros. The flick really put N. Cage on the map, and it's one of his best roles. The film is full of belly laughs. Even though I've seen it a bunch of times, it's still hilarious. Randall "Tex" Cobb was perfect as the invincible outlaw biker. Even the music score was perfect.

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

The 1930 version is much better but this was worth the watch. Technically impressive even if I thought it wasn't always technically appropriate. The battlefield scenes were the big highlight for me and thankfully there were a lot of them. Otherwise it was still good but nothing stood out and I don't think it will stay with me.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023)

Jesus Christ, Chapter 3 was already much better than 1 & 2, but this is even better. Some of the best action sequences ever since Hard Boiled. Unabashedly kinetic, superb cinematography, and many references that do not feel like rip-offs (The Matrix, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Hotline Miami). Hands down my favorite set pieces in the series, from Osaka to Berlin to Paris. Let's hope the 5th one is even better, as it's totally a 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 series for me!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.