The official "I Hate Anime!!!" and "I Hate Fan Fiction!!!" Thread

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'll give it to you that this forum is about hate, but it is just ignorant if you hate for the wrong reasons.

I'm still betting the only "anime" you've ever seen comes on Cartoon Network.

And this is my BOOMstick!
No offense man, but that Berserk thing was just a pointless bloodbath. No matter what anime I see, I will always hate it, and there isn't a single cartoon out there that can change my mind.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Nitzer
Nerds call it anime, because "cartoons" sounds too childish. I hate everything about it, no matter what you tell me to watch, ALL of it sucks.

OMG look at me my mouth is tuny when closed, takes 2/3 of my face when open! Look at my eyes, even though I'm supposed to be asian, they take 2/3 of my face (that is when my mouth is closed.) I have hair that is impossible to stylize because normal human hair doesn't grow in chunks or stay in the exact same shape every day of my life no matter what I do - be it being poured down with water or stand it blastering wind. My fellow companions are always slim and fit, because you will never see a female anime character being fat, my look and my eyes are full of subliminal messaging to brainwash those imbecile American children. I am in every nerd's sexual fantasy, hell they even get off at looking at me naked. Behold I'm anime! And you just can't have an anime character walking around without some kind of superpower or gift. ****ing inbelivbable, that there are still people out there who enjoy this subliminal trash.

Oh and how can I forget that little white blobs of something are supposed to be cute to appeal to children as well as thier parents! Let's draw a little circle with half circles for legs and arms, and once again watery eyes that take up most of the character's face. The only thing left is to give it a cuddly name like Hamushiro or Hamtaro, and voila! - watch the billions come in from ****ty merchandise and pointless TV series.
I could not have summed it up better myself. And if you get mad about what Nitzer said, well, this kinda is the truth. Those cartoons, movies, whatever, never look asian. At least in American animation they resemble who they're supposed to be drawn like! I salute you, Nitzer. God bless your soul.

No offense man, but that Berserk thing was just a pointless bloodbath. No matter what anime I see, I will always hate it, and there isn't a single cartoon out there that can change my mind.
I can see how you'd say it was a bloodbath, as that really was all that video was. The actual show does have plot, but that is beside the point...you can't just lump everything into one category...it isn't all childish...Unless you think that that was childish...

I personally did used to hate Anime. I have a buncha friends who are really into it and I used to make fun of them for it. I used to call them cartoons. I used to make fun of them for the exact same reasons you do and then I watched a real Anime and shut my mouth up.

I could not have summed it up better myself. And if you get mad about what Nitzer said, well, this kinda is the truth. Those cartoons, movies, whatever, never look asian. At least in American animation they resemble who they're supposed to be drawn like! I salute you, Nitzer. God bless your soul.
I can't think of a single Anime, save for Spirited Away, that is actually supposed to take place in Japan and have Japanese people...

It doesn't matter where it takes place, all the characters resemble asians, hence Japanese who came up with the whole concept. And as I said, they want to make themsleves look "american-ish" but fail miserably.

Originally Posted by OG-
I can't think of a single Anime, save for Spirited Away, that is actually supposed to take place in Japan and have Japanese people...
I've read the back of anime boxes and have taken glance at some of their shows when flipping through the chanels. A lot of them seem to take place in Japan, whether it be past or future (never the present)

If they resemble Asians and fail to look American...then doesn't that prove what you're trying to say wrong? You don't know what you're talking about...

Ever stop to think that these things don't just happen...they aren't just randomly drawn...that some actual thought goes into the production and design of a character in an Anime? The way the "Anime" you're talking about is drawn is a specific style of anime...it isn't ment to be realistic, hell half the **** they focus on are made up creatures! Unless you take the time to look at the context of the Anime you are in absolutely no position to make a judgement as to whether or not they are failing miserably.

Anime is made in Japan for Japanese people, it is as simple as that. American's just import it. It isn't being made for an American audience, American's bring it here and shape it into something they want it to be. What you see on the Cartoon Network aired in Japan years ago. If you think they're trying to emulate American's and are failing at it...again, you just don't know what you're talking about.

If you're going to critique Anime because you feel they don't look like real people you might as ****ing well complain about Seaseme Street because the puppets don't look like their real animal counterparts. When was the last time you threw some bread to a duck that looked liked Big Bird?

It is artistic interpretation. That is all it is. Anime isn't realistic by any means. It isn't a documentary, the creators of this know that - just as the creators of the Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles know that turtles don't fight, giant rats don't talk, and reporters with incredibly disproportionate figures don't fight alongside them. Or that Matt Groening draws the Simpsons with yellow skin and four fingers. Surely the Simpsons are American, yes? They don't look it! Man Matt Groening really f*cked that one up, huh?

You can hate the style of it all you want, I hate the style of all Anime that airs on the Cartoon Network and the WB as well, but at least I have enough sense to know that it was an intentional style choice and that they weren't simply trying to emulate Americans and failed miserably.

Plus what you're refrencing normally isn't even considered Anime by the people who create Anime (the Japanese as you so astutely pointed out), they are more cartoons than they are true Anime - which is why they air on the Cartoon Network and the WB.

I'm sure even you could notice the glaring visual differences between a cartoon Anime, like Pokemon, and a real Anime, like Berserk.

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
I've read the back of anime boxes and have taken glance at some of their shows when flipping through the chanels. A lot of them seem to take place in Japan, whether it be past or future (never the present)
I actually should have said present day Japan, so that is my fault. But my above post focuses on that visual issue anyway.

Originally Posted by OG-
If they resemble Asians and fail to look American...then doesn't that prove what you're trying to say wrong? You don't know what you're talking about...

Ever stop to think that these things don't just happen...they aren't just randomly drawn...that some actual thought goes into the production and design of a character in an Anime? The way the "Anime" you're talking about is drawn is a specific style of anime...it isn't ment to be realistic, hell half the **** they focus on are made up creatures! Unless you take the time to look at the context of the Anime you are in absolutely no position to make a judgement as to whether or not they are failing miserably.

Anime is made in Japan for Japanese people, it is as simple as that. American's just import it. It isn't being made for an American audience, American's bring it here and shape it into something they want it to be. What you see on the Cartoon Network aired in Japan years ago. If you think they're trying to emulate American's and are failing at it...again, you just don't know what you're talking about.

If you're going to critique Anime because you feel they don't look like real people you might as ****ing well complain about Seaseme Street because the puppets don't look like their real animal counterparts. When was the last time you threw some bread to a duck that looked liked Big Bird?

It is artistic interpretation. That is all it is. Anime isn't realistic by any means. It isn't a documentary, the creators of this know that - just as the creators of the Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles know that turtles don't fight, giant rats don't talk, and reporters with incredibly disproportionate figures don't fight alongside them. Or that Matt Groening draws the Simpsons with yellow skin and four fingers. Surely the Simpsons are American, yes? They don't look it! Man Matt Groening really f*cked that one up, huh?
Yes, but at least on American cartoons they actually resemble an American look. Sure, the Simpson's may have a different skin color than your average white guy, but their facial expressions and all look the same. As for mythical creatures, anyone can draw them anyhow, anyway. I won't argue with that. But why draw Japanese characters when they don't even look Japanese? That's what I'm trying to say. Do you see my point now? As for Sesame Street, what does that have to do with anything? We're talking about Anime- not Big Bird. Who cares how they look- it's a kid's show. Little kid's will watch anything. And when I say that, I'm not implying that they'll watch Anime when the character's don't look Japanese or anything like that. What I'm saying is that whatever's on, they watch, and they could care less about the facial look of any character, as long as it's a cartoon or something to that effect. You know what I mean.

North American cartoons, Asian cartoons... their all the same. Why bother with every little detail of a friggin' "cartoon"? How can you have a problem with any of these drawing styles? Just close your eyes and flip the channel or let it pass. So dont' spaz out on every little thing.

Yes, but at least on American cartoons they actually resemble an American look. Sure, the Simpson's may have a different skin color than your average white guy, but their facial expressions and all look the same. As for mythical creatures, anyone can draw them anyhow, anyway. I won't argue with that. But why draw Japanese characters when they don't even look Japanese? That's what I'm trying to say. Do you see my point now?
I see your point...but I guess I just don't see it important at all, because the artists draw them as they want to draw them, they're drawing an animation - not some photorealistic rendering of real people.

What I'm saying is that whatever's on, they watch, and they could care less about the facial look of any character, as long as it's a cartoon or something to that effect. You know what I mean.
Do I even need to respond to this? Is it just me or does what you just said defeat everything you're talking about...they are kids shows, aren't they? So why does it matter what they look like then?

North American cartoons, Asian cartoons... their all the same. Why bother with every little detail of a friggin' "cartoon"? How can you have a problem with any of these drawing styles? Just close your eyes and flip the channel or let it pass. So dont' spaz out on every little thing.
Now that I agree with, but this is a hate thread so they can complain about it all they want, but I can try to debate it because I think they're hating Anime for all the wrong reasons. Anywas...but as for why bother looking at every detail...cartoons, Anime, animation, whatever you want to call it it is still an art form so there is no reason to not look at every detail. Sure you don't have to scrutinize it on some painstakingly intense level, but just because it is a "cartoon" doesn't mean it shouldn't be appreciated...

There are plenty of legitmate reasons to dislike anime. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of them raised in this thread yet.

The main ones that I've noticed are things like cheap pandering and exploitation of women, and the tendency to rely on plot/character convolutions and half-baked mysticism in order to dazzle a (mostly teen and preteen) audience into thinking they're watching something 'deep'.

There are some other ones around, like the point that the anime industry is extremely derivative from a few key source influences (which, incidentaly is a more persuasive explanation for the reason most anime have characters with big eyes than the cultural one in my book. ie- they got it from Japanese comics which in turn got it from Osamu Tezuka who himself took it from old Disney cartoons.)

But nevermind all that. The big eyes in anime just arent that interesting a topic, because characters have big eyes is not a good reason to watch something and it follows that it's not really much of a reason to not watch something either. I could mention plenty of exceptions to just about all the complaints mentioned so far (anime without characters who have big eyes, anime set in modern Japan etc. etc.) but if you can't get past the big eyes, that's just your loss.

Hmm... what??

Originally Posted by Diablo
Hmm... what??
Is it just you, or does stupid run in your family?

Originally Posted by Nitzer
Is it just you, or does stupid run in your family?
Brains aren't everything. In fact in your case they're nothing.

Brains are nothing. Thirst is everything. I'm gonna obey my thirst.

Originally Posted by Diablo
He says as as he has a an avator of an American Cartoon...

Originally Posted by linespalsy
There are plenty of legitmate reasons to dislike anime. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of them raised in this thread yet.

The main ones that I've noticed are things like cheap pandering and exploitation of women, and the tendency to rely on plot/character convolutions and half-baked mysticism in order to dazzle a (mostly teen and preteen) audience into thinking they're watching something 'deep'.

There are some other ones around, like the point that the anime industry is extremely derivative from a few key source influences (which, incidentaly is a more persuasive explanation for the reason most anime have characters with big eyes than the cultural one in my book. ie- they got it from Japanese comics which in turn got it from Osamu Tezuka who himself took it from old Disney cartoons.)

But nevermind all that. The big eyes in anime just arent that interesting a topic, because characters have big eyes is not a good reason to watch something and it follows that it's not really much of a reason to not watch something either. I could mention plenty of exceptions to just about all the complaints mentioned so far (anime without characters who have big eyes, anime set in modern Japan etc. etc.) but if you can't get past the big eyes, that's just your loss.
So, what? Are you yay or nay?

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
So, what? Are you yay or nay?
I think "nay"