The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
We think there's 20 left then?

Here are my guesses for the remainders then

WARNING: spoilers below

I didn't order them, just kind of typed them out as they came to mind.

Probable locks:
Lebowski
Duck Soup
Dr Stangelove
Life of Brian
Holy Grail
Airplane!
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
City Lights
Ghostbusters
The General

My guess for the remainders
Groundhog's Day
Shrek (ug, I don't like this one)
The Philadelphia Story
Network
Beverly Hills Cop (haven't seen, so my sense of it might be off)
Lethal Weapon (haven't seen, so my sense of it might be off)
The Princess Bride
Spies Like Us
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Might have a chance, but not in my final cut for guesses:
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
History of the World Part 1
Possibly a fifth Coens' movie
The Nake Gun
A Night at the Opera
Funny because,
WARNING: "Yipes! Hope I don't get banned." spoilers below
every one of your "probably locks" may be on my list.
And exactly one of the "guess the remainders" may be on my list.
And none of the "might have a chances" may be on my list.

Victim of The Night
That film was funny! This reminds me of another film that I feel won't make the cut...

I love this film. I was actually wondering just yesterday if I should maybe have found room for it, but alas...

Victim of The Night
Raising Arizona is rated INCREDIBLY high, holy shit. I never would have guessed that that movie hit the top 25.
And I raised a bit of an eyebrow at how low it was.
I thought it would make the top 15, possibly even higher.

Victim of The Night
...and you're the first person I've come across that didn't think of Network as being a comedy (successful or not is a different question).
*raises hand*

Again, the mere presence of humor in a film does not, to me, make it a Comedy. Or Lethal Weapon is a Comedy. No Country For Old Men is a Comedy. The Big Chill is a Comedy. Grease is a Comedy. Con Air is a Comedy. And on and on and on.
And, based on this list, I might actually argue that they all are. And that literally everything is.

*raises hand*

Again, the mere presence of humor in a film does not, to me, make it a Comedy. Or Lethal Weapon is a Comedy. No Country For Old Men is a Comedy. The Big Chill is a Comedy. Grease is a Comedy. Con Air is a Comedy. And on and on and on.
And, based on this list, I might actually argue that they all are. And that literally everything is.

I can't speak on Lethal Weapon (or Beverly Hills Cop. We can also throw 48 Hours into that mix as well), since I was guessing off of vague impressions. There's a general category of movies from the 80s that I was too young for at the time of their release, and for some reason never felt the need to go back and revisit, so I'm going off of 30 year old memories of trailers and posters there.

Wrt Network, what would you categorize it as then?

It's whole purpose of existence was to satirize through an extreme exaggeration of caricatures.
Look up the ending of the movie on YouTube, tell me their news line-up wasn't a complete mockery of what one would consider the news to be heading towards. Which, I'm just wondering, for comparison in comedic tone, how did you feel about Being There? (Which I guess could be a remainder as well).

Like, I get the sense that a certain kind of comedy just isn't registering with people because... Unclear. I'd say the jokes aren't telegraphed enough, but then people challenged Brazil and Being John Malkovich. So, I'm left guessing, maybe because there are parts that cut off the sugar high of laughing?

This thread has feeling a lot like the few times I've been told in the past year (IRL), "well John Carpenter's The Thing isn't really horror."

Network by any definition is a satire.

Satire is by any definition comedy.

This one is about as clear cut as it gets. It's not a hybrid of other genres. It's whole function is comedic. Yes, it is presented soberly, but so is most satire. What exactly is the debate here?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Raising Arizona for the All-Time Countdown, but as usual, I don't seem to get the humor in the Coen Brothers movies. I find their movies to be interesting and unique, but they don't make me laugh.

Bringing Up Baby is a great movie, and I considered it for my list, but it just didn't make my final list. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown without my help.

Raising Arizona is great, and has one of my favorite lines ever:

"Hey, do these blow up into funny shapes?"

"Well, no, unless round is funny".

I imagine for some this is less a joke than serious commentary on the shape of balloons. But what do I know of comedy. Probably nothing

Ive never been a fan of Bringing Up Baby. It always feels to me it pushes to far into screwy territory, and just loses me, but this is just my personal taste. It's got a great pedigree with everyone in front and behind the camera. And the problem certainly isn't that the characters are unlikeable.

We think there's 20 left then?

Here are my guesses for the remainders then

I didn't order them, just kind of typed them out as they came to mind.

Probable locks:
Lebowski
Duck Soup
Dr Stangelove
Life of Brian
Holy Grail
Airplane!
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
City Lights
Ghostbusters
The General

My guess for the remainders
Groundhog's Day
Shrek (ug, I don't like this one)
The Philadelphia Story
Network
Beverly Hills Cop (haven't seen, so my sense of it might be off)
Lethal Weapon (haven't seen, so my sense of it might be off)
The Princess Bride
Spies Like Us
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Might have a chance, but not in my final cut for guesses:
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
History of the World Part 1
Possibly a fifth Coens' movie
The Nake Gun
A Night at the Opera
I left off an obvious probable lock (I call them "probable locks" because I don't take it for granted that something will be on the list at this point, though some of their omissions might surprise me more than others).

This is Spinal Tap

I'll bump out, well, apparently Lethal Weapon isn't a comedy, though from dubious categorization sources. *cough*Wooley*cough*.

But, the top 20 is probably going to consist a lot more of movies that come immediately to a lot of people's, who aren't me, heads when they hear comedy.

I voted for Bringing Up Baby. If you don't find Mr. Bone the big game hunter funny, I can't help you.

I also voted for The Jerk. If you don't find Navin R. Johnson, sounds like a typical bastard funny, I can't help you.

By the way, despite having BUB at No.14, I agree with you, as I said in my post somewhere back, that the star of the film is the writing. They just happened to get two of the best deliverers of dialogue to ever chew a line to get up on the screen and spout it to the audience.
Yeah Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn are way good in that. I'm trying to think who else might have been able to handle the dialogue like they did? The film definitely benefits from their A-list star power.

Thanks. The 1980s are like me - we own this list!
I think the 80's almost got this in the bag fellas

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I saw Raising Arizona at one of those "preview" showings they used to do, with opinion cards being handed out at the end. Well, since my wife and I were laughing our throats raw at the film, we gave it high marks all around. For me, it's a comedy classic, and almost a Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon on film. So many great lines that punctuate the scenes they're in:

"Son, you got a panty on your head."
"Edwina's insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."
"H.I., you're young and you got your health, what you want with a job?"
"What Evelle here is trying to say is that we felt that the institution no longer had anything to offer us."

Besides the stars, and John Goodman and William Forsythe, I really loved the performances by Randall 'Tex' Cobb as the "warthog from hell" biker, and especially the late Trey Wilson as the kidnapped baby's father. I can watch this to this day and still laugh out loud. Love it. Made my list.

Bringing Up Baby is a classic by any measure, and Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn have rarely been as funny. Screwball comedy at its best and totally fun. I cut this one to put the other Cary Grant on that I listed earlier. I agree with you, @Kaplan about Father Goose. That was a family favorite when I was growing up and I love it to this day, but I only allowed myself one Cary Grant movie for this list, for some stupid reason.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

201 points, 15 lists
The Blues Brothers
Director

John Landis, 1980

Starring

Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, James Brown, Cab Calloway

201 points, 17 lists
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Director

Terry Jones, 1979

Starring

Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle

I will reveal 101- 120 later this afternoon

Excuse me. I will reveal 101-120 after I reveal #12.

Blues Brothers is alright. There are other Dan Aykroyd comedies I'd rather watch.

EDIT: It's been a long time since I've seen Life of Brian, there are other Monty Python movies I've seen many more times.

Reply to Topic