Filmmaker Swan

Tools    

I'm a little nervous about making this thread, but cricket encouraged me to. I've recently started making little shorts with my friends. It's been a lot of fun because it's spontaneous - I get out my iPhone (using the app Sean Baker used for Tangerine) or my DSLR and my buddies and I will just start shooting stuff. Then, I take the footage home and try to edit it all into some sort of short film. So far, very short - they haven't really passed the 2 minute mark yet.

It's really just filmmaking practice. I think the more I just make stuff, the better I'm going to get, and the more I will figure myself out as a filmmaker. But it's also SO MUCH FREAKING FUN. FRICK. So here's what I've got so far, and I'll update the thread when I make new stuff (which has been happening quickly lately).

The first video on my channel, Dust Molecule, isn't really anything at all - kind of just like a test - so I'm not going to link to it here. I'll link the ones I want to share.

My YouTube channel
My Vimeo channel

Shorts:

Dust Molecule (more of a test, really)
The Transition
Spin
Pills
The Omniscience
Smash (Abrasive)
Chase (Youth)
Demon (Youth)
Self-Portrait (The Ghosts Inside My Head)
Water/Plant
Object

Feedback is very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I enjoyed all three but Spin was a bit of a spin out. Good choice of music.

Yep, just reversed the footage when I was editing.

Someone disliked a few of my movies.

Little caught up in holiday stuff, but I've saved this link so I can come back and watch them all, probably with Mrs. Yoda. But for now: it's super cool that you're making your own stuff. That's an awesome, gutsy thing to do, on any level, and I genuinely applaud you for sharing your work. Will be back as soon as Christmas dies down with more!

Little caught up in holiday stuff, but I've saved this link so I can come back and watch them all, probably with Mrs. Yoda. But for now: it's super cool that you're making your own stuff. That's an awesome, gutsy thing to do, on any level, and I genuinely applaud you for sharing your work. Will be back as soon as Christmas dies down with more!
My heart is warmed - thank you for this Christmas present of a post!

Thanks dude.

Yep, just reversed the footage when I was editing.

Someone disliked a few of my movies.
I dont hve a YT account so not me, and If I did I would have told you for constructive criticism, so just put it down to more people seeing your channel and take it as a positive, swanny.

@Dani8 - I definitely took it as a positive. I felt nothing but excitement for some reason - just glad people are watching, I guess.

I found a couple others that aren't in the thread. Don't be holding out on us!

In Spin, did he walk backwards or was that a technique?
The first video on the channel, like I said, is kind of a test. But yeah I did upload one right when I was making this thread, which I'll post in a sec (gonna do a write-up I guess).

The Omniscience

The concept for this was basically just to have a collection of Friday the 13th-style "killer's POV" shots that ended right before the murder. Except that the killer is not personified, but is an omniscient presence - this was done to give more leeway with the shooting possibilities; the killer could be in different areas of the same room without be noticed.

With that in mind, this is the first time I executed a pre-meditated concept. I don't think I succeeded with what I had in my head - the biggest issue is I find it kind of drags on and doesn't offer anything that interesting at all. I wasn't able to make it as interesting in the edit, because the shots were all the same kind of thing. I think the ambience adds something to it, though. At least, I hope so.

We also wanted to have heavy breathing over the whole thing, like the last, genius sequence in Halloween - where Myers breathing lingers as we see various shots of the locations he has been through the movie. Unfortunately, my microphone probably isn't the best - and I literally just realized my fan was probably on when I recorded it - so there was a lot of background noise. Fortunately, with heavy reverb and manipulation, I was able to apply something that to me kind of sounds like what you might hear inside a womb. I think it's kinda cool.

@Dani8 - I definitely took it as a positive. I felt nothing but excitement for some reason - just glad people are watching, I guess.
Gahhhh Merry xmas to you and your new avatar, Swanny. I freaking love Silverbacks!!!

Yeah good for you. The more the merrier.
If I can give some advice and just my opinion, I'd like to see more of a punch with your endings. Just something that makes the eyes pop (just a little bit; not all over the ceiling).

Xmas here now so have a lovely xmas eve and a wonderful day tomorrow.

Gahhhh Merry xmas to you and your new avatar, Swanny. I freaking love Silverbacks!!!

Yeah good for you. The more the merrier.
If I can give some advice and just my opinion, I'd like to see more of a punch with your endings. Just something that makes the eyes pop (just a little bit; not all over the ceiling).

Xmas here now so have a lovely xmas eve and a wonderful day tomorrow.
Will definitely work on ending better. Thanks for the tip. Merry Christmas to you as well!

Oh I didnt notice you posted another. Have to crawl off for xmas lunch now but will check when I get back

No I haven't. Could be interesting, but I do like fictional filmmaking a lot.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
going around the city and asking random people questions?
Ask a random girl if she wants to date matt.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Smash

I was inspired to makg thsieioh n4643aoihn; h9843yg09bn907y3n9 743yn947y34097 348 y2 0 9823y 0932872 ybv344vvvvv4 355n36n363 hggggggg ggg beep