What is the Greatest War Movie of All Time?

Tools    

What war do you think has inspired the Best War Movies?
0%
0 votes
Past Wars (American Revolution, Roman Empire, Star Wars, etc.)
3.03%
1 votes
Civil War
84.85%
28 votes
World War II
0%
0 votes
Korean War
9.09%
3 votes
Vietnam War
0%
0 votes
Persian Gulf War
3.03%
1 votes
Future Wars (Red Dawn, the Terminator, etc.)
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Are you serious? I mean, I give it a higher rating than most and the actual Pearl Harbor attack is a long and well-done sequence, but you need to watch more war movies if you're 100% serious. War is dirty business and supposed to make you sick to your stomach. It's not really supposed to make you cheer and yell, "I got you, you S.O.B. Take that! HA!"

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I picked WW2 because of

The Guns of Navarone
Kelly's Heroes
The Great Escape
Stalag 17
Force 10 from Navarone
The Longest Day

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Inarticulate?

Anywho...

World War I is my response. About 10 years ago I probably would have said Vietnam. If war is dehumanizing and a violation of life itself... people die in war... then my vote goes to World War I because I think I've seen some of the most interesting movies concerned with that war.

Honorable mention goes to Apocalypse Now, which is my favorite war film, simply because it's a road film and a trek through Hell as these men travel up river to confront a larger than life figure (Kurtz). It's a brooding film and nearly perfect. It's surreal and shows the fragility of the humane psyche, even in the mind games of prey vs. predator when they're never even met.

I think Apocalypse Now trumps Platoon, which is a bit too compromised for the mainstream. The Killing Fields is good, but in all honesty a bit boring and like someone said that's about Cambodia - next door to Vietnam. Full Metal Jacket has moments of brilliance, but in large it is far too disjointed for my tastes.

World War II films seem to be more along the lines of patriotic and tend to glorify war, which it was a war that the US was united behind, so you get more "rally the troops!" type of films.

Some of the best "message" films have centered around World War I and deal not only with the enemy from the other side, but also the domestic enemy. I'm generally anti-war, of course, and I don't like preachy films, but I do like message films and at times the balance is delicate.

1. All Quiet on the Western Front

The original is amazing. It tracks several German secondary school boys as their teacher tells them to "serve their country." The movie was an early talkie having come out in 1930, but it features some great sound effects and wonderful combat sequences. For me, it is the definitive war movie. The trench warfare seen is horrific. Probably no better demonstrated when the main character played by Lew Ayres is stuck in a trench with a dead Frenchman and strikes up conversations with him and befriends him. Very bizarre. When Ayres goes back to school after the war to tell the truth and alienates himself from his school and town, it's a perfect bookend.

2. Paths of Glory

This is the war movie that people should think of when they mention the name Kubrick. Trench warfare is shown to be cruel and terrifying, but the film spends little time with the enemy. Instead French beaurcracy and battlefield politics are shown. Kirk Douglas is the star and he gives a passionate performance with great material. What seperates a hero from a coward? There's a military tribunal and a firing squad death that is gripping and monstrous. I love this movie for being unique in showing that soldiers do not win on the battlefield. They are simply pawns. The story is amazing and at 80-minutes the pacing is perfect.

3. A Very Long Engagement

Brutal and Beautiful. Audrey Tautou and Jean Pierre Jeaunet follow up their pairing in Amelie, with this movie and it's a kicker. It starts off in the trenches; rainy, cold, damp, and dirty. Tautou plays Mathilde, a young woman who's finance went to war, and is lost after escaping the fire squad due to a "self inflicted injury." The colors in the film and the landscape of faces are spectacular, as in all Jeaunet films. The story is involving and the creativity soars. A Very Long Engagement is a pastry of a movie, only if that pastry with battered in blood.

Honorable mentions go to:

Lawrence of Arabia
The Blue Max
Sergeant York
Grand Illusion

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I agree with all movies above, except Pearl Harbor which was more like a Soap opera/chick flick with great FX.

I have yet to see Flags of our fathers & Letters From Iwo Jima.

I would like to add Dogs of War, though not related to any real war or a country.. but it's my favourite movies with mercenaries.

Anyone seen Merrill's Marauders??

My top three world war two movies would have to include...

1. The Bridge Over The River Kwai
2. Tora Tora Tora
3. The Guns Of Navarone

1. Gallipoli (more accurately an antiwar movie than a war movie)
2. Saving Private Ryan (a favorite of my father, a veteran of WWII and Korea; and my uncle, a veteran of Korea and Vietnam; all they would say is that it was the most accurate depiction of war they'd seen in a movie, and it still wasn't as brutal as the real thing; I'll want to catch up with the thread on this one later, but I thought the movie cast some big questions in very personal/human terms).
3. The Long Engagement (thanks, iluv2viddyfilms, for reminding me of this; an absolutely splendid movie).
4. Black Book (about the Dutch resistance)
5. The Great Escape
6. Stalag 17

Just name a few that come to mind. But Gallipoli is easily my first pick.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Toss-up between WW2 and Vietnam; picked WW2.

Stalingrad.
Come and See.
Europa, Europa.
Cross of Iron.
Valkyrie.
Enemy at the Gates.
Letters from Iwo Jima.
Conspiracy.

The Deerhunter.
Apocalypse Now. (original cut--NOT 'Redux')
Born on the Fourth of July.
Full Metal Jacket.

I liked The Quiet American and Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence

This is a most bizarre idea for a thread. Wars as inspirations for movies. Yes, i can't WAIT for the exciting glorifying adventures that might come out of the current mindless, unjustified and offensive war going on now.
What will we see? The human face of men sent off under false pretences to save their darling sweetheart Oil-ivia and teach those evil arabs how to live in US-controlled-freedom. Then, in the terror-raising conclusion, we can watch as our heroes discuss how their goverment removed the original iraqi-chosen government and funded Saddam and friends into power, and then tried to fund their mutual annihilation with Iran, before falsely connecting them to international terrorism and WMDs capable of attacking anyone. Oh, no, wait, the happy ending. Yes, then they go off and deal with people who genuinely do have WMDs that threaten the world, and rule in blissful dominance ever-after. Amen.
I think it will inspire some fantastic movies. I can't wait.

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket

~Loves a good classic movie~
Saving Private Ryan
Sergeant York
So Proudly We Hail! (1943)
The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944)
Battle Circus (1953)

My favorite war films:

Apocalypse Now
Platoon
The Deer Hunter
The Killing Fields
The Hurt Locker

My favorites are as follows, and in no particular order....

The Great Escape
Twelve O'clock High
Kelly's Heros
Force 10 from Navarone
A Bridge Too Far
Band of Brothers
Brave Heart
Glory
Gettysburg
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Battle of Britain
and speaking of Chuck Heston, I must include Midway. I saw it 4 times in "Sence-Around" back in 1976.