What is the Greatest War Movie of All Time?

Tools    

What war do you think has inspired the Best War Movies?
0%
0 votes
Past Wars (American Revolution, Roman Empire, Star Wars, etc.)
3.03%
1 votes
Civil War
84.85%
28 votes
World War II
0%
0 votes
Korean War
9.09%
3 votes
Vietnam War
0%
0 votes
Persian Gulf War
3.03%
1 votes
Future Wars (Red Dawn, the Terminator, etc.)
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Well, what is it? Here's my list:

1. The Dirty Dozen
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. The Longest Day

and I don't know if this counts, but I'm adding it anyway,

4. Band of Brothers

There are some more WWII ones that I could rattle off, including some Vietnam ones, but I'll leave it up to you guys to list 'em. As you can see, I'm a Big Fan of World War II, and when I graduate from UCLA, I plan on becoming a Movie Director, and one of the many films that I plan on directing will be a series of World War II movies, and I'm calling them the "Battlefield Series", and each series is based in a year during WWII, starting with "Battlefield 1942" and all the way up to "Battlefield 1945". And if any of you are video game bluffs, then you know that my movie is based off the game with the same title.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Well, what is it? Here's my list:

1. The Dirty Dozen
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. The Longest Day
and I don't know if this counts, but I'm adding it anyway,

4. Band of Brothers

There are some more WWII ones that I could rattle off, including some Vietnam ones, but I'll leave it up to you guys to list 'em. As you can see, I'm a Big Fan of World War II, and when I graduate from UCLA, I plan on becoming a Movie Director, and one of the many films that I plan on directing will be a series of World War II movies, and I'm calling them the "Battlefield Series", and each series is based in a year during WWII, starting with "Battlefield 1942" and all the way up to "Battlefield 1945". And if any of you are video game bluffs, then you know that my movie is based off the game with the same title.
We had a lively little discussion on The Dirty Dozen a while back. Kong isn't fond of the film, but it sparked some interesting debate. You should do a search for it.

the best are:
1.Saving Private Ryan
2.We Were Soldiers
3.A Thin Red Line

We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and his Uptown Five. -Jack Black (High Fidelity)

My Dad and I rented "We Were Soldiers" not too long ago, and I must say, it was a pretty good movie. I like its opening title music. My favorite part is when they tell the troops to watch their ammo, and they pop up a flare, and see all of the Vietnamese troops in the dark. Another part I enjoyed is when Mel Gibson's wife and that other lady went around giving letters to wives whose husbands had died in war. I never saw "The Thin Red Line", but I hear it was good. Is it based in WWII? If so, I gotta see it. By the way, another good WWII movie that I liked was "Hart's War".

Kong didn't like We Were Soldiers. Every scene with the wives was sappy, and manipulative. Kong also didn't think the men who went to war were developed in a round enough way, and this left the battle scenes to be less tense then they should have been. Oh, and the scene near the end with taxi was one of the most manipulative scenes of the past decade; it was downright shameful.

Anyways. Yes, The Thin Red Line is set in WWII. It's a very good film. You should definitely check it out.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Kong
We had a lively little discussion on The Dirty Dozen a while back. Kong isn't fond of the film, but it sparked some interesting debate. You should do a search for it.
I second that. I loved that chat.

And I loved the film.

Full Metal Jacket

What about "The Patriot"? I heard that that was a good movie...
It is. Mainly due to a WONDERFUL performance by Jason Isaacs as the villain.

Glory is an all time favorite of mine.

Without a doubt WWII has THE best war films.

Beale's Top 4 WWII films (no real order as these are all films that could go on my top 10 of all time)

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
The Dirty Dozen
Stalag 17

What about "The Patriot"? I heard that that was a good movie...
The Patriot was overdone. Way too sentimental/sappy for my tastes.

I've always enjoyed Vietnam movies the most, as they have consistently been more succesful in evoking true thought and feelings from me.

My favorite is Apocalypse Now.

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe

Without a doubt WWII has THE best war films.

Beale's Top 4 WWII films (no real order as these are all films that could go on my top 10 of all time)

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
The Dirty Dozen
Stalag 17
Never saw Schindler's List, but I saw the Seinfeld episode (Hence my avatar and signature) where Jerry and his girlfriend make out during the entire movie. Very funny plot and ending. Saw a very little portion of Stalag 17, it's almost similar to another one of my favorite WWII movies, "Hart's War". But both "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Dirty Dozen" are true Hollywood classics. I just watched "The Dirty Dozen" a while ago, and I'm still impressed. I love the music. I even found two mistakes in the movie, one where a gun is fired and no sound is heard, and another scene where Lee Marvin is driving that big truck and for about 4 seconds (that's how long this scene is) if you look to the right, you can see the production crew sitting and standing. I couldn't believe it at first, so I rewinded it a few times. But it's there, and it's quite amusing to see such a stupid mistake in such a great film. But who cares- I'm probably the only guy who noticed it in about 20 years.

Stalag 17 and Hart's War are pretty different; particularly since Stalag 17 is more of a comedy. Kong wouldn't really consider them to be war films though. Same for Schindler's List and to a lesser extint Apocalypse Now. They are all set amid war but they aren't war films in the same way that Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down are.

Hey Beale, what about "The Longest Day" and "Band of Brothers"? Those two are WWII. Ever see them?

Ah, Black Hawk Down... another beauty.

And speaking of which, you want to know the worst WWII movie ever? Pearl Harbor. I won't even put its name in quotations it's so bad. What do you guys think?

And speaking of which, you want to know the worst WWII movie ever? Pearl Harbor. I won't even put its name in quotations it's so bad. What do you guys think?
Never saw it, and don't plan on bothering. Nevertheless, Kong is astonished that the line, "I think World War II just started," actually made it into the film. Didn't a writer, or director, or actor, or editor, or someone notice the stupidity of that line at some point before final printing? That kind of a line is a complete insult to the intelligence of the audience.

Do you know my poetry?
My favorite war movie of all time is "Saving Private Ryan", I love Tom Hanks in this movie, and also Matt damon is cool

Hey Beale, what about "The Longest Day" and "Band of Brothers"? Those two are WWII. Ever see them?

Ah, Black Hawk Down... another beauty.

I haven't seen Band of Brothers or The Longest Day...but I plan to very soon.

I LOVE Black Hawk Down.

Kong: I consider all of those to be WWII war films, but, If you consider WWII War films to be only those that involve combat...then my Top 2 are Saving Private Ryan and The Dirty Dozen.(I get what you are saying though.... )

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
I haven't seen Band of Brothers or The LOnbgest Day...but I plan to very soon.

...my Top 3 are Saving Private Ryan and The Dirty Dozen.(I get what you are saying though.... )
Yes. You really should see those movies/mini-series. And how do you get Top 3? I only see 2.

There is a very good thread on war movies HERE

And now that that is out of the way… I’m going to address the subject of signatures… while some of the signatures on here are interesting, funny, what have you… they are also very irritating because it is hard to sort the posts from the signatures… could you guys please cut them down.. You can always change them around every day or so…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
There is a very good thread on war movies HERE

And now that that is out of the way… I’m going to address the subject of signatures… while some of the signatures on here are interesting, funny, what have you… they are also very irritating because it is hard to sort the posts from the signatures… could you guys please cut them down.. You can always change them around every day or so…
Sorry to make you angry ma'am, but I'm a big fan of Seinfeld, and I like the way my signature is, thank you very much.

Do you know my poetry?
Sorry to make you angry ma'am, but I'm a big fan of Seinfeld, and I like the way my signature is, thank you very much.
Yeah moviemaker, I also love Seinfeld and I love your signiture, I dont think you should change it