Directors Who Are More Interesting Than Their Work?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
David Lynch. His films mostly are interesting but the man himself in interviews is very interesting to me. He almost grants permission to be creative just by thinking about what creativity can be and how to obtain it. Lots of food for thought and a good storyteller/comedian.
I agreed, until the TM stuff.... He started one video saying how the world could be so much better, etc., but it was "Send us this money for ________" -- if it can save the world, at least tell people to breathe in slowly, etc... 30-seconds of information couldn't hurt, it could only help, and he has a big enough audience to have done a simple quick video, or text on his web page, as the stats show (after the internet, phones, etc) how insomnia has gone up, and other mental dysfunctions.. I can say from experience anxiety and insomnia is the worst thing I face. But yeah, if he's talking, I want to tune in..

I also thought it was so interesting that he ate at the same restaurant for many years.. I also remember him chain smoking.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
TM as in transcendental meditation? I've never seen them ask for donations and I've been a practitioner since 1988. That's pretty weird.

TM as in transcendental meditation? I've never seen them ask for donations and I've been a practitioner since 1988. That's pretty weird.
Did you do Vissipana?
My brother has done that for longer. I don't think they ask for donations either, except for teaching and retreats. I'm not questioning you but his reasons for asking for money to change the world. First time I've heard of it. I'm sure it wouldn't have gone down well with the heads of those organisations.

My brother has done that for longer. I don't think they ask for donations either, except for teaching and retreats. I'm not questioning you but his reasons for asking for money to change the world. First time I've heard of it. I'm sure it wouldn't have gone down well with the heads of those organisations.
I just went through the David Lynch page to see if anything had changed....

It's $1,000!! --- typical middle-class phonies pretending to help the world. I guess it's only for rich people.

David Lynch just got 40 million for Twin Peaks.... it's never enough money, isn't it? I can't trust people who have no empathy for working-class people.

Yeah as I said its very weird. TM charges for courses and retreats and does stuff like massive group meditations, free classes in prisons to change negative 'energy' but other than that I've never seen them ask for money from non practitioners. I think my course back then cost $150. A 3 day retreat in a mansion only covered food. I think he's talking out his bottom.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Victor Salva is more of a creeper in real life than the antagonist of Jeepers Creepers, if that counts.

Can't get on board with this one...I think Burton's work is infinitely more interesting than he is. JMO.
Ditto

Maybe Wes Anderson....Some movies are very bad but some others like Grand Budapest and Tenembaum are very nice movies...I have heard an interview and he is very interesting guy.

movies can be okay...
Lars Von Trier: "I love Hitler"
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Lars Von Trier: "I love Hitler"
He seems to provoke to get attention... Like "Nymphomaniac" -- getting people to talk about all the simulated sex, etc... To me, that's the OPPOSITE of pushing the envelope, but I did think "Dogville" was creative, but the highest score for any of the 5-6 movies I saw was 7.5/10

The Bib-iest of Nickels
He seems to provoke to get attention... Like "Nymphomaniac" -- getting people to talk about all the simulated sex, etc... To me, that's the OPPOSITE of pushing the envelope, but I did think "Dogville" was creative, but the highest score for any of the 5-6 movies I saw was 7.5/10
I thought Antichrist was solid.

I knew Lars would pop up here. Anyways, I love his movies but I may have to give the win to the person. Lars is an endlessly fascinating individual. Very unique personality. To have a conversion with him is like a mind game. He loves to provoke yes, but he loves to be provoked back even more. I heard he's the sweetest and most kind guy in real life and from what I have seen and read I can believe that. But he's really a person you can't really hold between your hands and study. He is fascinating but intimidating, withdrawn but very in your face. He might be the most interesting person I've ever read into tbh.