My Top 10 Overrated Films

Tools    

To say that one or another movie is overrated is not good if you saw that movie once.I think you have to watch it a couple of times,analyze it,read reviews,interviews and know about it as much as you can.Usually,if I don't like a movie,even if it's well-rated,I don't come back to it.
Well the first movie with I thought about when I saw this thread was Schindler's List.It was boring for me,not very sad(as people say it is),maybe even a bit lifeless.It just kept going with no ups and downs.BuT I saw it only once and not even in the original language,so I just can't judge.
I noticed that there are some people who didn't like Forrest Gump.I love it and the main reason why I do it's because of the message it sends.I think it shows that many people imagines life as a complicated thing.People even make love and friendship complicated(Jenny and Lt. Dan shows it well).We also have pointless wars and a difficult politics.Forrest didn't understand anything but he was so happy.Critic Roger Ebert noticed a great thing in this movie - Forest wasn't dumb.People were too clever.
And I had no problem about the reality level,this movie isn't about a lucky mentally ill person,it's about what a person can do,when he just does it without thinking about the complexity of things.Life challenges us but we shouldn't become cold-hearted and sarcastic.Forrest Gump also talks about main values and important things such as love,war,family,friendship,drugs,politics,life and death.It is also a comedy/drama movie.One minute you're laughing,the other you're crying.Just like life - not only black or white.For a long time,I even thought that it could be a best movie ever made,because unlike other great films,this one talks about everything.I saw when I was about 12 and often rewatched it and now I think that it even changed my view of life(the movie tagline is - "The world will never be the same once you've seen it through the eyes of Forrest Gump.").This movie is amazing ^^

Well the first movie with I thought about when I saw this thread was Schindler's List.It was boring for me,not very sad (as people say it is), maybe even a bit lifeless.It just kept going with no ups and downs.BuT I saw it only once and not even in the original language,so I just can't judge.
How is a movie about genocide "not very sad"?

Anyway, let me scrape my jaw off the floor for a second here, I think your argument that people should watch a movie several times and research it before judging it is kind of ridiculous. If a film didn't move you, didn't make you laugh, didn't do what it was supposed to do the first time around, in all likelihood it won't do it no matter how many times you watch. This is especially true considering you'd be going into the second watch already knowing that you don't like the movie and aren't going to be able to view it with the same fresh, open mind that you did the first time.

Its happened before, I got over it

What.
I believe you mean why? Anyone can have a have a subjective opinion and that's what you are voicing .
You can check out movie ratings based on the opinions of average movie fans. Currently Saving Private Ryan is in 41st place based od IMDB 250 top fifty movies of all time ( which has a fan base of over a million people )so I would say that the majority movie buffs have come to the conclusion that Saving Private Ryan is actually one of the best movies ever made. On the other hand, the professionals awarded the movie a bunch of Oscars. There is an agreement between the average Joe and the movie savants, so it would really take someone to play the spoiler just for spoilers sake in order to disagree.That or being completely ignorant and not caring about the rules that apply. If the profesionals that made the movie and the viewing public agree on something, it can not be over-rated. Now you can feel that the movie sucks all you want but the fact is the very system that rates these movies certainly doesn't feel that this movie is over-rated.
Maybe you should create your own system but based on you quircky pickiness, it would most probably be a system of one. So you might as well just talk to yourself and I'm sure you won't have any disagreements.
Sometimes having a high IQ actualy works against you in normal society.
To really understand the norm you have to be willing to drop down a few notches so that you can relate to what's being said. Now, you can choose to distance yourself from the maddening crowd but that doesn't in any way imply that your world will be taken as Gospel but more fittingly as some bright but reclusive eccentric. Your style and allegory might be accepted by some artsy wannabee individuals but trust me, the masses shun guys like you. One word of advice, instead of dwelling on the negative in things, trying to find faults and imperfections, your life could be more enjoyable by being positive and building rather than thearing down.
To praise someone or something is actually harder but definitely more productive.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I agree with nearly all of this. the only difference is some of these I can enjoy on a bit of a MST 3000 level. also, I don't really care that Jack and Rose and Arial and Eric fall in love all unrealistically, even though I agree it's just fluff.

overall, good review thingies!

If a film didn't move you, didn't make you laugh, didn't do what it was supposed to do the first time around, in all likelihood it won't do it no matter how many times you watch.
oh,come on.Your can start liking move for many different reasons.
People change with age and what they didn't like when they were 12years old ,they can love when they are 50.One watch means nothing.Some time ago,I saw Pulp Fiction.Didn't like it at all.Now it's in my top 3.
Also,some movies are complicated and they require more watches just to understand.And what about movies which are full of details and every time you watch them,you see something new?You think that you can take everything what a movie has to give in a single watch?Well,you can if you watch pointless and typical movies.

You can check out movie ratings based on the opinions of average movie fans. Currently Saving Private Ryan is in 41st place based od IMDB 250 top fifty movies of all time ( which has a fan base of over a million people )so I would say that the majority movie buffs have come to the conclusion that Saving Private Ryan is actually one of the best movies ever made. On the other hand, the professionals awarded the movie a bunch of Oscars....If the profesionals that made the movie and the viewing public agree on something, it can not be over-rated.
Dude you keep comparing average people and "movie buffs" (self-proclaimed) as if they're the same person. It does not matter what the populous opinion is; also featured on the inarguable IMDb 250 are Inception, The Usual Suspects, American Beauty, etc. (and somehow The Avengers in the top 50 - really reliable list here), many movies which actual film people, in other words people not arrogant enough to call themselves movie buffs, would say both the critic and public consensus is wrong. THAT is what is inarguable, you see it here and any other legitimate movie forum as well as offline. These films are CLEARLY capable of being overrated, and, just to bring in your hierarchal bs, especially if my and others' film professors argue against them.

Sometimes having a high IQ actualy works against you in normal society. To really understand the norm you have to be willing to drop down a few notches so that you can relate to what's being said. Now, you can choose to distance yourself from the maddening crowd but that doesn't in any way imply that your world will be taken as Gospel but more fittingly as some bright but reclusive eccentric. Your style and allegory might be accepted by some artsy wannabee individuals but trust me, the masses shun guys like you. One word of advice, instead of dwelling on the negative in things, trying to find faults and imperfections, your life could be more enjoyable by being positive and building rather than thearing down.
There are not enough words for hilarious. You say all this like you're trying to teach me something but man you are so bad at this widespread negative assumption concept, which ironically clashes with this worldview you have for those with higher IQs. It's also not productive to think highly of yourself, but oh damn I'm being negative again!

Whatever you do, ca, don't read the bad movies in the IMDB top 250 thread.

I'd search for some acrimonious debates about the Oscars, but I fear the threads that touch that subject are too numerous.

Dude you keep comparing average people .

There are not enough words for hilarious. You say all this like you're trying to teach me something but man you are so bad at this widespread negative assumption concept, which ironically clashes with this worldview you have for those with higher IQs. It's also not productive to think highly of yourself, but oh damn I'm being negative again!
It's nice how you like to twist words around to prove some imaginary point. Do you read your own posts? I think you like to see yourself in print but most of the time it's critical and negative and that's what I am referring to, and inexplicably you seem to think that you are the only one than can grasp something and it's like your offering people some revelations.
I really resent your condescending attitude. What's hilarious is that attitude is directed at someone whose IQ is actually higher than yours and can see through your phony rhetoric.
Since you had to flaunt yours, I just had to see how far I'm lagging ( who knows, maybe with age I was becoming dumber ).
The attached is what it is. I don't know how reliable but I can tell you that ten years ago the MMFIT showed a higher result.
So I'd appreciate it, if you stopped talking down to me.

Even if your IQ was 300 it wouldn't change the fact that you are completely unable to fathom the concept of irony. I almost feel bad for you but then I remember that you're the one who was being hilariously patronizing in the first place. I can literally take every one of those sentences and they all apply far more to your personality. For someone with such a high IQ I'm astonished as to how you are incapable of recognizing that. SUPREME INEPTITUDE. Also according to that attachment your IQ is one point higher than mine, even though I think IQ tests are bs (see here). You need a bigger measuring stick for your piece?

Even if your IQ was 300 it wouldn't change the fact that you are completely unable to fathom the concept of irony. I almost feel bad for you but then I remember that you're the one who was being hilariously patronizing in the first place. I can literally take every one of those sentences and they all apply far more to your personality. For someone with such a high IQ I'm astonished as to how you are incapable of recognizing that. SUPREME INEPTITUDE. Also according to that attachment your IQ is one point higher than mine, even though I think IQ tests are bs (see here). You need a bigger measuring stick for your piece?
Ha ha. First you are going to flaunt 160 and then point out that IQ tests are unreliable. You flip-flop more than Mitt Romney.
It's not like I specifically chose 161. That was totaly random but to prove a point. I'm well aware of irony. I just don't appreciate it, nor do I appreciate sarcasm as I feel that people that tend to use those means of communication have an inate superiority complex ( although I think your problem is more related to Edipus ).
I think you mistake patronizing for knowledgeable, but I'll take that any day over opinionated.
I just love movies and tend to be over-protective of them and hate to see other people thear them down just for the sake of grandstanding and trying to show others how brilliant they themselves are.
If you were to take a poll on this forum, you would certainly find out that most members would consider you far more critical and negative than I.
And that's the whole point, Jack.

oh,come on.Your can start liking move for many different reasons. People change with age and what they didn't like when they were 12years old ,they can love when they are 50.
If this is what you meant by your statement, then you should have been more specific.

Also,some movies are complicated and they require more watches just to understand.And what about movies which are full of details and every time you watch them,you see something new?You think that you can take everything what a movie has to give in a single watch?

Yes, this is true. You're not going to take be able to absorb everything in one viewing, but one viewing is typically all it takes to form a general opinion of a movie and first impressions are usually the ones that stick.

Even if your IQ was 300
I wonder about my IQ, hopefully I'm better than Forrest Gump? I think he was 75? Though, he achieved a lot LOL!

I think you can move away from failing horribly and paradoxically to psychoanalyze me. If you care about movies as much as a self-appointed aficionado should, you would actually provide something besides rubbish to this site.

I think you can move away from failing horribly and paradoxically to psychoanalyze me. If you care about movies as much as a self-appointed aficionado should, you would actually provide something besides rubbish to this site.
Thank God it's not up to you to decide what I provide. There is no curing you and my wasted time with you is up. Time for you to grow up and just ignore me and I'll return the favor.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
TF-UTTWD!

The F**ked-Up Thread That Wouldn't Die!

I made a simple suggestion a while back. Man, I'm as big a DumbAss as I thought!

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Man, this thread proved more popular than I expected lol. I can't say I stand by some of the choices I made in my top 10 (I still believe Moulin Rouge! and Twister are utter garbage), but I find that a lot of people's choices involving what's overrated or not is entirely subjective. With that said, I found the following films overrated:

- The Expendables (it's like the NFL Pro-Bowl of action stars. Nobody really cares!)
- Braveheart (Mel Gibson just doesn't sit right with me. And also...Best Picture?!)
- Juno (I didn't find anything funny, and the leads were pretty boring, I thought)
- Raging Bull (good fights and excellent acting, but the main story seriously bored me)
- WALL-E (it has it's cute and funny moments, but it just didn't have the charm that other Pixar films have, with the exception of Cars 1 and 2)
- Cars 1 & 2 (boring concept, and has the no-charm aspect I found in WALL-E)
- Kick-Ass (the lead is pathetic even for a beginner superhero, and don't get me started on the little girl's antics and Nick Cage's superhero persona)
- Gladiator (the story was handled to the fullest extent of the usual cliches, though Joaquin Phoenix is super entertaining to watch)