My Top 10 Overrated Films

Tools    

No Country For Old Men
-The Conversation
-The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Were you drunk or beaten senseless when you watched these? That would explain why you listed them as overrated.

When anyone lists Westerns as less than appealing it's pretty understandable since not everyone can get into that genre, though I love TGTBTU. The Conversation probably should have been a short film since it technically goes nowhere. No Country For Old Men...I'd rather have been beaten senseless.

EDIT: To be fair I can understand No Country... in terms of just entertainment but eh

Really? I really am going to have to take new viewing of this soon.
It's still a decent film, don't get me wrong. But it seems to make a lot of Top 100 lists and people seem to have a hard time choosing between that and Pulp Fiction when deciding Tarantino's best film, which I can't really comprehend as Fiction just seems clearly superior to me.

EDIT - I'm getting sick and tired of these (relatively) new users neg repping me for my opinion. Get a grip, twats.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Juno is easily the most overrated movie I've ever seen. It's not nearly as funny, clever or charming it seems to think it is. Also, the screenplay and performances are nothing special.

I also add The Shining (I'm a huge Kubrick fan, but this is a slow-moving bore), Bram Stoker's Dracula, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Wild At Heart, Broadcast News, The Exorcist, Gladiator, Risky Business, Sexy Beast, True Romance, Sin City, The Bourne Supremacy, The Evil Dead, Apocalypse Now (structurally, it's a wonderful film, but not even close to being one of the greatest films of all time, what with all it's flaws).

When people say over-rated, what exactly do they mean? Do they mean the movie is not as good as most people think it is or do they mean the movie is not as good as most savants think it is? What happens when the average joe and the savant actually agree on a movie? Can it still be considered over-rated? I don't think so.
I would have to disagree with you on three of your choices: Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump and Casablanca.
Let's start with Forrest Gump. To you it lacks credibility. I don't think that the viewer was intended to believe that in real life one man could go through all those situations and not wind up in an insane asylum. The beauty of the movie lies in the story line, which foremost is meant to be entertaining and over the top. It also focuses on the innocence of a truly good soul that triumphs over every adversity, as ridicolous as it may appear. It's meant to be a feel good movie with angelic after thoughts and it succeeds in that. It also succeeds in raising every-man's self asteem when he compares himself to someone as innocent and naive as Forrest Gump.
As to Saving Private Ryan and Casablanca, I'm sure that there are many others out there capable of more eloquence than little old me, that would defend the greatness of those movies, so I prevail on them to do so.

What happens when the average joe and the savant actually agree on a movie? Can it still be considered over-rated? I don't think so.
Pretty weak proof. These wouldn't happen to be self-proclaimed savants would they?

Let's start with Forrest Gump. To you it lacks credibility. I don't think that the viewer was intended to believe that in real life one man could go through all those situations and not wind up in an insane asylum. The beauty of the movie lies in the story line, which foremost is meant to be entertaining and over the top. It also focuses on the innocence of a truly good soul that triumphs over every adversity, as ridicolous as it may appear. It's meant to be a feel good movie with angelic after thoughts and it succeeds in that. It also succeeds in raising every-man's self asteem when he compares himself to someone as innocent and naive as Forrest Gump.
He succumbed to what others told him to be, and in conforming succeeded in everything he did. If you act like an individual you lose your legs. That's antithetical to raising self-esteem. Plus credibility aside as you addressed, the way they jumbled every pop culture reference together seemed gimmicky as hell. The whole thing is a giant veil of "who'd a thunk it," of course the "average person" will like that, but it's projected as an inspiring and cinematic trek and so "savants" will like that. I know lots of average filmgoers who didn't like the jumbling of events just because they lived through them and it didn't address much about them; a lot of things covering little ground.

As to Saving Private Ryan and Casablanca, I'm sure that there are many others out there capable of more eloquence than little old me, that would defend the greatness of those movies, so I prevail on them to do so.
SPR is just three, superbly shot and choreographed battle scenes sat among a sea of poorly scripted sentimentality.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I don't think Gangs Of New York is regarded well enough to be called overrated. I like it myself, but it's not exactly a unanimously praised film.

Were you drunk or beaten senseless when you watched these? That would explain why you listed them as overrated.
I can't get into westerns, No Country For Old Men bored me (though the performances were great) and The Conversation, like wintertriangles said, goes nowhere.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm all for everybody having their say, and I realize that not everybody can keep up with all the older threads which basically discuss the same thing, but I still personally hate these types of threads because I've defended so many films I love before and these threads really disillision me because it's not a pretty sight to hear things which are the opposite of what my soul believes. Then again, I've been told recently that I'm too severe so I guess I should lighten up. That would probably be a good idea for everybody.

SPR is just three, superbly shot and choreographed battle scenes sat among a sea of poorly scripted sentimentality.
There is no such thing as perfection, but it's something we all aspire to ( at least I would like to think that ).
So, by your own admission, the three superbly shot choreographed battle scenes were appararently enough to garner 5 Oscars ( inluding Best Director - Steven Spielberg and Best Cinematagrophy - Janusz Kaminski )
and I'm sure that those battle scenes will be forever etched into the minds of war movie lovers, unlike some much better written scripts that have allready faded into obscurity.

Pretty weak proof. These wouldn't happen to be self-proclaimed savants would they?

He succumbed to what others told him to be, and in conforming succeeded in everything he did. If you act like an individual you lose your legs. That's antithetical to raising self-esteem. Plus credibility aside as you addressed, the way they jumbled every pop culture reference together seemed gimmicky as hell. The whole thing is a giant veil of "who'd a thunk it," of course the "average person" will like that, but it's projected as an inspiring and cinematic trek and so "savants" will like that. I know lots of average filmgoers who didn't like the jumbling of events just because they lived through them and it didn't address much about them; a lot of things covering little ground.
I think you tend to over analyze things and assume that most people are on the same mental level as you. News flash, they are not. But you allready know that, so it's as if you are talking down to the masses but the masses can identify with the Forrest Gump character, with all his inadequacies. Most people are not leaders, anyway.
As far as savants go ( and they are what they are, as it's their business )
in their infinite error they awarded 6 Oscars ( including Best Picture, Best Directing, Best Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay ) to Forrest Gump.
And you still may say that initself doesn't mean any thing, but what it does mean is that collectively they are not as bright as you and yes, they definitely have a different opinion from yours. In this case, I tend to agree with them.

There is no such thing as perfection, but it's something we all aspire to ( at least I would like to think that ).
Who said anything about perfection?

So, by your own admission, the three superbly shot choreographed battle scenes were appararently enough to garner 5 Oscars ( inluding Best Director - Steven Spielberg and Best Cinematagrophy - Janusz Kaminski )
Yes, and the sea of sentimentality won them, too, and the politics and the buzz, and everything else that goes into the Academy giving out their prizes.

... and I'm sure that those battle scenes will be forever etched into the minds of war movie lovers,
Good. I'm pleased that people will enjoy them.

... unlike some much better written scripts that have allready faded into obscurity.
Well, I'm guessing that they'll be remembered by the lovers of good scripts. They're not always the same people, y'know.

Well, I'm guessing that they'll be remembered by the lovers of good scripts. They're not always the same people, y'know.
That's ok, but for the puropses of this discussion, this is a general movie discussion, isn't it? Afterall, we are talking about the top 10 overrated films and not the book of the month club.
As a movie, Saving Private Ryan is definitely not overrated by movie criteria.

As a movie, Saving Private Ryan is definitely not overrated by movie criteria.
What does that even mean? There's no right or wrong here, HK clearly thinks SPR is overrated (a sentiment I happen to agree with, to some extent) there's no disproving it because it's subjective.

As far as I'm concerned, Saving Private Ryan is one of the best war films ever made and definitely one of my personal favorites.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

...I'd rather have been beaten senseless.
You really don't want that...LOL! Trust me

Its happened before, I got over it

Afterall, we are talking about the top 10 overrated films and not the book of the month club. As a movie, Saving Private Ryan is definitely not overrated by movie criteria.
What.