The Videogames Tab

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Back from vacation and decided to finally finish Until Dawn. I liked it. Ended up with only 3 Survivors. I'm literally holding my breath so the controller won't shake and I still died. Even after re-doing the last section, still had 3 survivors, just different people.

Suspect's Reviews

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Having a long pedigree of cheating at games, I think I tried setting the controller on the floor.

Maybe a sign of good things to come?

Shawn Murray said No Man's Sky passed Sony certification the first time. Which apparently never happens.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Maybe a sign of good things to come?

Shawn Murray said No Man's Sky passed Sony certification the first time. Which apparently never happens.
I read it all in one sitting...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Having a long pedigree of cheating at games, I think I tried setting the controller on the floor.
I rested my arm on the arm of my chair, controller in hand.

Before I figured out that trick I'd lost a few teens. Oh well.

Following a week in which it reignited interest in one of its classic games franchises with Pokemon Go, the video game company announced Thursday it's releasing a new, compact version of its classic Nintendo Entertainment System.
The new device, called the NES Classic Edition, is a shrunken replica of the console that launched in North America in 1985, which over its lifetime sold more than 61 million units worldwide. It will come pre-loaded with 30 games and one controller.
You won't have to dig out an old tube TV either, as it will be able to connect to modern displays with an included HDMI cable. In another modern twist, each game will have "multiple suspend points," allowing players to take a break and return to the point where they left off without entering passwords.

The NES Classic Edition will be available in November for $79.99 in Canada. Additional controllers will be available for $12.99. (Nintendo)

The NES Classic Edition will be available in stores Nov. 11 for $79.99. Gamers can buy a second controller for $12.99.
"We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo's original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place," Pierre-Paul Trepanier, Nintendo of Canada's general manager and senior director, said in a release.
Games include Super Mario, Zelda, Castlevania

The games in the NES Classic Edition include an impressive range of Nintendo-made and third-party titles. Here's the full list:
  • Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • ​Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
read it here

You notice which Mega Man they included? That's right.

What I don't like about that is no port so you can play cartridges and no SD card slot so you can shiver-me-timbers some ROMs, features that a number of those 3rd party console-on-a-chip devices have. Heck, even the Sega sanctioned Mega Drive clones have them - I own one.

My initial reaction is, "OoOmagosh Need it!." Then I think, "You know you won't play it. They will make a million and there will be no resale market. Still pondering going to Gamestop to pre-order."

Think I'm nearing the end of the campaign in XCOM 2. I've been save scumming a bit (not sure why; I didn't that too much with the last one), though in my defense, it's been pretty hard internalizing the tweaks they have. I like pretty much all of them, but they throw a lot of crazy stuff at you. More on the world map than in combat, where in the first hour or two you have all sorts of competing needs thrown at you with no real way to know what the trade offs are for focusing on one thing (like research) over another (like supplies, or intel, or engineering).

But still, it's a really good game, and clearly more refined than the last one, which I loved. I'm looking forward to doing pretty much an immediate replay now that I have an idea of how to build out the Avenger, and just let the combat chips fall where they may in that one.

My initial reaction is, "OoOmagosh Need it!." Then I think, "You know you won't play it. They will make a million and there will be no resale market. Still pondering going to Gamestop to pre-order."
Yeah, with my Sega one I spent a few hours going "Yeah, I remember that one" and haven't switched it on since.

It's a neat little thing, though.

Unimportant franchise furore:

Aww yiss, freebie offline Battlefront modes coming July 21st . Walker Assault and Fighter Squadron modes only, as leaked, but sounds like the bots should be suitably varied / deranged.

Most importantly though (beyond the longevity this might add), is I get to go back to first person, dump the HUD, and enjoy some uber-immersive pewpew

(The reminder in my phone is literally 'NO HUD PEWPEWPEW' )

---

GTA V can sod off again. Laggy lobbies and being at the behest of the 'wisdom of the crowd' for track selection gets old pretty quick. Will drop back in when the custom creator's been out a while. It's more fun when everyone's up for experimenting rather than endlessly choosing the optimal rep tracks (IE the most tedious and predictable ones :/)

No idea what platform this is coming out on, but I like it...

Kinda like Sensible Soccer made insensible

No idea what platform this is coming out on, but I like it...

Kinda like Sensible Soccer made insensible
I bought Natural Soccer a few months back, as it promised some Sensi Soccer type gameplay but am ashamed to say I've not touched it yet.

There's a 7 day free trial if you sign up for Origin Access, EA's Netflix style subscription service, before 18th July. If you don't cancel, it's £3.99 a month. Here are the games you get included:

Need for Speed Deluxe Edition
Unravel
FIFA 16
Battlefield Hardline Ultimate Edition
Dragon Age Inquisition Digital Deluxe
This War of Mine
Titanfall Deluxe Edition
Need for Speed Rivals: Complete Edition
Battlefield 4 Premium Edition
FIFA 15
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
The Banner Saga
Trine 2: Complete Story
The Sims 3 Starter Pack
SimCity (2013)
Dead Space 3
Torchlight II
Mass Effect 3 N7 Digital Deluxe Edition
Battlefield 3
Dungeons of Dredmore Complete
Dragon Age II
Dead Space 2
Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition
Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition
Trine Enchanted Edition
Dead Space
Mass Effect
Peggle
Medal of Honor Allied Assault War Chest

Coming Soon:

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2
Jade Empire Special Edition
Plants vs Zombies
Crysis
Crysis 2
Crysis 3

Might be interesting to someone who wants to try one of the above for free.

EDIT - PC only.

Yeah I keep looking at Origin Access, and then thinking pfff, they get enough of my cash . If there were a few more games on there that I hadn't already snagged for nigh-nothing through Humble Bundles I'd def be tempted tho.

---

This looks intriguing: Dead Century

On iOS and coming to Android, it's an “LGBT Indiana Jones spooky adventure”, with a Telltale vibe apparently. Wish there was some footage about. I've never quite got along with Telltale's stuff, but lordy, that artwork...

---

Also, in a return to franchise fellation, Battlefront's finally getting some of that trench action going on in September

Plus Chewie as a hero, and the much angstified space battles. (Although whether we'll get the coolest bit - cruiser boarding - that'll be key...)

Yeah I keep looking at Origin Access, and then thinking pfff, they get enough of my cash . If there were a few more games on there that I hadn't already snagged for nigh-nothing through Humble Bundles I'd def be tempted tho.
The EA Humble Bundle gave me most of the old titles I'd been after, also, and the newer stuff I'd like to at least try (Battlefront etc) isn't on their list yet. It'll be an interesting service to check out in a few years .... if they're still offering it, of course.

Console-wise, it's only on Xbone so I'm out of luck there.

The Good The Bad and the Interesting
Just recently finished a "True Pacifist" run on Undertale. I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone, but this game is unlike anything I've ever played before. Between the interactive combat system that challenges the player to interact, rather than fight the monsters within the game to the lively characters and witty dialogue, this game is more than an adventure, it is a brilliant work of art. Has anyone else played this game yet?

Star Citizen has a free mode until the 22nd. If you're interested in trying this now legendary lumpen space eternally-in-ALPHA behemoth, sign up through the link below:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...-Free-Fly-2016

Then enter SUMMERFREEFLY2016 as the promo code and download the game.

God I might actually give it a go tonight. Was gonna wait until they sorted out the netcode in the 2.5 update (whenever that's happening).

I'm kinda expecting this tho...

True.

Well, I sold my racing wheel. And my other racing wheel.

They both work on PC but are so old that there's no guarantee that Forza Horizons 3 will support them. No dice on PS4 either so any upcoming Gran Turismos won't work.

After I sold two racing wheels I used the money to buy a racing wheel!

Any interested BritFos should know that the Thrustmaster T150 is £69.99 in Argos right now and it's a wheel I've never seen below £100, usually coming in at £125.

It's an investment. A free investment, as it turns out.