Pelican's Weekly Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

The Good The Bad and the Interesting
This Forum

This is a weekly forum, so at the very least I will have one submission every week. I'll review anything and everything, from short films and TV series to classic, or more modern films.

I'd love to review films that you suggest I watch as well, so if there is a film you'd like to see reviewed on this forum, you can leave a comment below, or send me a Tweet.

https://twitter.com/Slatetothepoint

Be sure to follow me, because I might Tweet some polls if I am undecided what to review.

Review Scores

Week 1: Memento (2000)

Week 2: Network (1976)

Review #1 MEMENTO (2000)

“You don’t want the truth; you make up your own truth.”
-Teddy

Before Interstellar, before Inception and even before the extremely successful Batman trilogy, there was Memento. This neo-noir film was released in 2000 and introduced the world to the beloved storytelling style of Christopher Nolan. Nolan is very avant-garde in his screenplay structure. In the case of Memento, the film runs normal, but the scenes are presented in reverse. You start at the end and work your way back to the beginning of the plot. Although this sounds confusing, the film is edited in such a way that the audience feels the same disillusion as the protagonist, Leonard (Guy Pierce).

Leonard is a man suffering from the brain disorder known as anterograde amnesia, which means that he is incapable of creating new memories. Amnesia is the biggest roadblock Leonard faces in his search for the man who killed his wife. To cope with this conflict Leonard has created a system of taking polaroid photographs and getting body tattoos, as constant reminders of any updates with the investigation. In addition, he has help from side characters Natalie (Carrie-Anne Moss) and Teddy (Joe Pantoliano). The two work really well in Memento and were partially cast because of their previous experience working together in The Matrix.

Elements of the classic noir style, such as low key lighting, flashbacks and the usage of voice overs are present within this film, but that style is also integrated with a more modern look and feel to run consistently with the main themes this film is trying to convey. One of these themes is of course memory and unlike other film noirs, the audience is forced to question the subjectivity of Leonard’s thoughts, because of his memory loss.

The thoughts and accusations presented by lead characters in noirs of the past, such as Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon and J.J. Gittes in Chinatown are more believable because they are constantly adapting to new information, where Leonard is incapable of doing so and forces the audience to question the reliability of his notes.

Although Christopher Nolan initially got the idea for the film after a discussion with his brother, Jonathan Nolan during a road trip, the film did go on to receive an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay. In response to unusual script format, an executive at the independent production company that funded the film, Newmarket films called Memento, “Perhaps the most innovative script I had ever seen.”

Memento is certainly not one of those films an audience will fully understand on a first viewing, so be prepared to watch this movie more than once.

I just read your review, that was a extremely well crafted, articulated review! You made me want to watch Memento and previously I hadn't considered the movie, but thanks to your review I'll put it on my to watch list. Good job

Announcements!
  1. Second Review will be up tomorrow
  2. It will be a review on the 1976 satirical comedy Network
  3. The last few days I have been working on another piece, which I will link below
  4. Please continue to follow this thread for more reviews, commentary and updates!

After watching Network I got the idea to write about how peculiar it is for satirical comedies to be, often times, correct when predicting the future. This took me a few days to research, organize and then write up, so I hope you will enjoy reading it. I focus more of my attention on the accuracies made in the film Network, but there are other films I discuss as well.

Writing this ate up most of my free time, pushing my next review back until tomorrow, but in the meantime, I hope you will enjoy the commentary I have created.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...34#post1544934

Review #2 NETWORK (1976)

“I think I’d like to be an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our time.”
-Howard Beale

I cannot delve into the 1976 dark comedy, Network that dominated at the academy awards the following year without first discussing its strongest aspect… the script. In what can only be described as prophecy, Paddy Chayefsky wrote a screenplay that doesn’t criticize the cultural norms of television at the time but instead exaggerates and even forewarns the dangers of corporate media.

In his final performance within a major motion picture and the only role that ever earned him an Oscar, Australian actor Peter Finch takes center screen as the veteran news anchor, Howard Beale of the Union Broadcast system’s UBS Evening News. After learning he will no longer be working at the station, due to a rating plunge, Beale addresses the audience in the first of many monologs this film is best known for. Over the course of two days, he rants, raves, curses and even threatens to kill himself on air!

His state of mind raises concerns from co-star, news division President and friend, Max Schumacher (William Holding), but also causes ratings to go up. It doesn’t matter if Beale is a senile old man, executives, such as Diana Christensen (Faye Dunaway) will keep putting him on the air because all they see are dollar signs.

Keeping Howard on the air provides him a platform to criticize anyone and anything. Issues addressed range from the influence of money and corporate takeover of the power of television and how it influences culture and decision making. The dialogue presented within this film is fresh, thought-provoking and arguably the strongest aspect of this film.

Faye Dunaway leading the boardroom.

Paddy Chayefsky went on to win an Academy Award in 1977, for his work in writing the film, but he wasn’t the only cast member to take home a golden Oscar. As much as I loved Peter Finch’s performance as the lead, Howard Beale, I can’t say he carried this film on his back. There are too many “Oscar worthy” moments presented in this film to mention. It is no surprise to me that Peter Finch took Best Actor, or that Faye Dunaway took the best actress, but what might come as a surprise is that Beatrice Straight received an award for “Best Supporting Actress” even though she had less than ten minutes of overall screen time. The scene that can be best attributed to her award is short, but executed with a passionate fury, as she is forced to confront the crumbling of her 25-year marriage. My heart sunk as I watched her pour her heart and soul all over the set. I won’t spoil what Max Schumacher did to devastate the state of his marriage, but what I will say is the destruction left him at a crossroads, desperate and willing to return to his family life, by the story’s end.

Network became the second film ever to win in 3 out of the 4 acting categories. (second only to A Streetcar Named Desire [1951]) In addition, the film became the first to recieve an Academy Award for an actor after they passed, as lead actor Peter Finch passed away shortly after the film's release. The only other time the Academy awarded a performance to a deceased actor was in 2009, for Heath Ledger’s performance in The Dark Knight.

It must be noted that this film was written as a satirical look at broadcast journalism and many within the field at the time, such as Barbara Walters and Walter Cronkite did not like the film, as they feared audiences would see it as fact. Corporate Media did not have nearly the amount of influence in the mid-70s, as it does today. Paddy Chayefsky unintentionally proved to have prescience when he wrote 1976 must see dark comedy Network. In fact, this film is so prophetic that writer Aaron Sorkin (Moneyball, Newsroom, The West Wing, The Social Network) said, “No predictor of the future – not even Orwell – has ever been as right as Chayefsky was when he wrote Network.

It is the message that transcends to audiences even now, over 40 years later that makes this film great.