Favorite Bill Murray Movie/Role?

Tools    

It was way cool.

I didn't ever get a picture with Bill, which is fine. We only saw him on set, and I wasn't going to bother him. That's me with the director in one of those pics above. That was at lunch at Belmont. Got to meet his wife, who is also in the film, and his daughters. Super nice guy. Couldn't have been nicer. My buddy Chris, one of the first storyboards he did, about a decade ago, was for a Mexican music video. Ted directed that, one of his first jobs. Though it was obviously non-Union and I don't think either one of them got paid. But he kept the relationship. Ted has done a lot of videos and commercials, but this was the first of his scripts to get produced. He called up Chris, and asked him to do the storyboards.

I did have Bill Murray's iPod in my hand at one point, and for half a second thought about keeping it. But, I'm not that guy. The closest I came to meeting him was in Brooklyn, in between set ups. I was in one of tents, with headphones on, listening to the dialogue. He came over, there were only a few of us in there, eating cashews. He offered them to me, to everybody. I declined. I am deathly allergic to nuts. If I had eaten even one, I would have to be rushed to the hospital. For a FEW seconds, I contemplated just taking a handful and pounding them. Everybody has to die of something, I was trying to reason with myself, and I figured, Hell, what's cooler than being "killed by" Bill Murray?

But I declined the cashews.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Very cool Holden. I was already looking forward to this movie, now just an added reason to want to see it. Neat stuff.

You ready? You look ready.
So all I gathered from this thread so far is you didn't let Bill Murray kill you. What is wrong with you?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I got this cool opportunity because my best friend, Chris Brandt, worked on the film. He did the storyboards for the director, Ted Melfi. Ted and the producers invited Chris up to the set for a few days in the second week of July, last year, and I got to tag along. Two days in the Brooklyn neighborhood where the houses of the main characters are, and one day at Belmont race track, where we got to be extras in the scene with Terrence Howard and Bill Murray.

That's cool that you got to be an extra in the movie. And you were literally right in my backyard. I live about five minutes away from Belmont. So close that I can walk there on a nice day.

The closest I came to meeting him was in Brooklyn, in between set ups. I was in one of tents, with headphones on, listening to the dialogue. He came over, there were only a few of us in there, eating cashews. He offered them to me, to everybody. I declined. I am deathly allergic to nuts. If I had eaten even one, I would have to be rushed to the hospital. For a FEW seconds, I contemplated just taking a handful and pounding them. Everybody has to die of something, I was trying to reason with myself, and I figured, Hell, what's cooler than being "killed by" Bill Murray?
You should have just ate one or two cashews, went into an allergic reaction, got rushed to the hospital, and then later, Bill Murray would have sent you flowers. Or, he might have even paid a visit. That way, you meet Bill Murray AND you become a person he'd remember because he almost killed you. This possibly could have created a bond.

And you fake not knowing about your cashew allergy, so you don't look stupid.

A system of cells interlinked
Man, tough question. Thinking about it, I just realize once again how much I adore Murray's work. I watched Steve Zissou again recently, and he certainly knocks that one out of the park, but if I had to choose a favorite, Ghostbusters might win out on nostalgia. But then there is Rushmore...oh and Stripes...

Murray rocks!

I just recently saw "Lost in Translation" and i thought he and Scarlett Johansson were amazing in it! Sofia Coppola Directed, and probably her best film to date. Bill Murry gives a subdued performance, and still hits all the right comedy beats he is known for.

Side Note: His best Cameo for me would either be "Space Jam" or "Zombieland".

My top five would probably be:

1.Lost in Translation
2.What About Bob?
3.Broken Flowers
4.Groundhog Day
5.Rushmore

I must say I'm glad to see you have The Man Who Knew Too Little under underrated Holden, I half expected you to have that under worst like a lot of people. The full movie is incredibly ridiculous but I can't help but love it thanks to Murray

Ghostbusters 1 and 2 then it would be Stripes, I liked the movie where he played the scrooge. But by far his best work was on Saturday Night Live and i liked his Cheese Burger Skit with Akroyd and Belushi.

I've come to have a HUGE respect for Bill Murray after "Lost in Translation," and "The Life Aqautic with Steve Zissou," I mean I always though he was hilarious, but he's got some pretty serious acting chops too. So what do you guys think? What's you're favorite Murray Movie/role?

I'm torn between Steve Zissou and Carl from Caddyshack.
I had to think for a minute but it's Peter Venkman. I toyed with Grimm in Quick Change but I think the clown section of that film is the best.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Of course "Quick change". Good job!

I would have to say my favorite Bill Murray film is "Meatballs" 1979, because this film about summer camp was the most accurate depiction of my summer camp years in the early to mid 1980's.

What About Bob?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K.