Any Computer Experts Out There?

Tools    

And yeah if you have not already you might want to check your storage space on the HD. Anything more than 85% full I have learned can start to cause issues on some drives, especially Segate drives.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Could it be that Matt's computer has too many files/movies stored on the hardrive and so it's full...which means when the computer needs to write to the hardrive for example paging file it can't readily do that.

Matt can you check the amount of available disk space on your hardrive and post back?
I have 25 gigs available.

If you go to your task manager and look under the processes tab and then look for the "Disk" category you will see what programs/processes/etc... are using your hard drive. See if you notice anything very high. You can click on the category to have it sort by most to least.

If you can narrow it down to what is causing your drive to be used at such a high rate you might be able to see if it is software or hardware. If your drive is still spinning at that rate and nothing (software wise) is causing it it may be a bad HD. Usually it is not the hard drive unless it is older but sometimes you can get a bad one

I would also like to thank you and everyone else for helping me. I wouldn't have thought of using my thumb drive to watch a movie for example.

That doesn't sound like much, but it depends on the percentage of free space left...so how many total gigs is your hardrive?
900 gigs.

For most of the time I've been at around 5gigs, and everything worked fine, but I got rid of a lot of things in the last few days.

900 gigs...I have 25 gigs available.

For most of the time I've been at around 5gigs, and everything worked fine, but I got rid of a lot of things in the last few days.
You should have at least 135 gigs free according to what 7thson wrote:
And yeah if you have not already you might want to check your storage space on the HD. Anything more than 85% full I have learned can start to cause issues on some drives, especially Segate drives.
Try deleting more files, especially movie and photos can take up a lot of room. Get it down to 135 gigs free and then reboot and see how it goes.

You should have at least 135 gigs free according to what 7thson wrote:
Try deleting more files, especially movie and photos can take up a lot of room. Get it down to 135 gigs free and then reboot and see how it goes.
I'll try. Thanks again.

It hasn't maintained, but of course, I see that there was an automatic installation today, so I uninstalled. They won't even let you turn it off - you have to delay it..

I think Windows wants all our computers to go bad so we can keep buying one every year.

You ready? You look ready.
Yeah, Windows 10 doesn't give you the option to control updates. They took the route of Apple for security reasons. And so they don't get stuck supporting a product long past its end of life.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Usually it winds up being a compatibility issue and drivers or coding in whatever services has to be done. If it is because of the windows update you are more than likely not the only one this has happened to. If you have not already I would manually update my drivers and make sure video codecs are also updated. What software do you use to watch videos? Try maybe an alt media player like VLC or something just to see if there is a difference. If you did get it to work after removing updates it is almost certainly not your hard drive with a few rare exceptions (ie. updates being written to a bad sector on drive).

You can put off updates for quite awhile, but ultimately you will need them for other things to work properly.

Usually it winds up being a compatibility issue and drivers or coding in whatever services has to be done. If it is because of the windows update you are more than likely not the only one this has happened to. If you have not already I would manually update my drivers and make sure video codecs are also updated. What software do you use to watch videos? Try maybe an alt media player like VLC or something just to see if there is a difference. If you did get it to work after removing updates it is almost certainly not your hard drive with a few rare exceptions (ie. updates being written to a bad sector on drive).

You can put off updates for quite awhile, but ultimately you will need them for other things to work properly.

I've tried VLC, and there was no difference from what I use now (GOM Player)....

They won't even let me uninstall certain updates.

Account terminated on request
I'm sure they can help you, as it's the biggest online, free, self help community for W10.
Yep! It's absolutely a great place.

But in a worse case scenario if you can't fix your laptop, there's no need to throw it away. You can put a user friendly Linux operating system on it, easy to do. That's why I have for an OS.
As a long time software engineer, I've been trained on unix (basically linux) since college. I've bounced between various OSes professionally, but at home the hand-assembled gaming moose is Win10pro (for my kids....I never get to use it, lol), but my laptop downstairs is Linux Mint Mate.

Out of all the linux releases, I can strongly vouch for how will the Mint guys take their code from Ubuntu, and carefully make sure it works----hence their releases lag behind Ubuntu's even though they inherit from them. Contrast that with Ubuntu themselves that has a new idea and >poof< it's released and everything breaks. Oy!

But keep in mind that no flavor of linux is devoid of driver issues. Trust me, I've been down in the wires of the thing long enough to realize that it's likely never going to change. The basics will usually work ok (nvidia, Sound, USB stuff, etc.) but printer/scanner drivers are unbelievably flaky.

BUT!
1. His laptop will run speedily and *never* experience the whackjob slowdown that all windows implementations still still still experience.

2. Once he learns his way around, he can run a plethora of software for free. None of it 100% as good as paid software however. Sorry free software mooks, it just isn't.

3. If he really needs to run Windows, he can use his installation key to install a windows 10 instance in VMware Workstation on his linux machine. I have a small Windows 7Ultimate instance just for running Chess Titans (lol).

However I still think reinstalling 10 is the best bet for now.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

I uninstalled Windows Updates, and the videos played SO much better, so be careful installing that crap.
Before you uninstall actually functional windows updates in the future, go and have the computer delete unnecessary files, and delete the downloaded and saved update files.

I am not in front of my win10pro machine, so I can't walk you through it. But it will clear a ton of space.

Also, do yourself a HUGE favor and get windirstat. Thank me later.

I just noticed when I did the scandisk, that although it said "no errors" on top it said, well, I can paste it from that site

I tried doing it again using the Admin Command Prompt - no errors found. I tried doing it offline, and it wouldn't work.

It doesn't seem like a disk problem (at the low level); I'm not sure where that diagnosis came from.

It seems to me like a paging/thrashing problem.

Look into getting rid of all the left over update files and restore points. IME, restore points RARELY help, because it can leave various apps in a weird state of thinking the drivers are in one state when they're not. Also, with windirstat, you'll get a great visual as to where all the huge amounts of information is.

IME windows is an oddball in the OS world: Unlike linux, unix, VMS, and all other OS's I've programmed on that I can remember, going low on disk space dramatically clobbers system speed; the tenforums guys understand this better, but I believe it has to do with it's copious use of temp storage. Outside of windows, storage itself isn't the issue: It's lack of main memory. With windows, it's both.

Anyway...

When you run windirstat, post the image it produces and I'll help walk you through what to look for. The alternative is to set up some kind of remote system repair, and get someone to investigate from remote. I'm no longer the one for that unfortunately; too rusty in windows. I can do it for free, but I would suggest paying a known repair site for remote repair if reinstalling win10 is not an option or you have trouble removing files.

And yes, @CitizenRules is right: tenforums.com.

It doesn't seem like a disk problem (at the low level); I'm not sure where that diagnosis came from.

It seems to me like a paging/thrashing problem.

Look into getting rid of all the left over update files and restore points. IME, restore points RARELY help, because it can leave various apps in a weird state of thinking the drivers are in one state when they're not. Also, with windirstat, you'll get a great visual as to where all the huge amounts of information is.

IME windows is an oddball in the OS world: Unlike linux, unix, VMS, and all other OS's I've programmed on that I can remember, going low on disk space dramatically clobbers system speed; the tenforums guys understand this better, but I believe it has to do with it's copious use of temp storage. Outside of windows, storage itself isn't the issue: It's lack of main memory. With windows, it's both.

Anyway...

When you run windirstat, post the image it produces and I'll help walk you through what to look for. The alternative is to set up some kind of remote system repair, and get someone to investigate from remote. I'm no longer the one for that unfortunately; too rusty in windows. I can do it for free, but I would suggest paying a known repair site for remote repair if reinstalling win10 is not an option or you have trouble removing files.

And yes, @CitizenRules is right: tenforums.com.

Hi and thanks for replying. I used that forum right away, and one guy replied, but its taking forever. He'll give me one order (something that takes me 5 seconds to do), and then I wait 24 hours for a reply, so I'm kinda stuck in the mud.

I'll download windirstat and let you know. Thanks.

I don't know if this means anything to you, but maybe someone else will know.. Once I realized the scandisk was errored, I checked details and got this

DETAILS
Checking file system on C: Volume label is Acer. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 561920 file records processed. File verification completed. 33105 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 6693 reparse records processed. 753282 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 6693 reparse records processed. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 95682 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 39785272 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 975593471 KB total disk space. 856473420 KB in 340102 files. 254912 KB in 95683 indexes. 711747 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 118153392 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 243898367 total allocation units on disk. 29538348 allocation units available on disk. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
0093080054A6060088530D000000000057180000CE0100000000000000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 00089300 0006A654 000D5388 00000000
0010: 00001857 000001CE 00000000 00000000

In Bytes

0000: 00 93 08 00 54 A6 06 00 .“..T¦..
0008: 88 53 0D 00 00 00 00 00 ˆS......
0010: 57 18 00 00 CE 01 00 00 W...Î...
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Hi and thanks for replying. I used that forum right away, and one guy replied, but its taking forever. He'll give me one order (something that takes me 5 seconds to do), and then I wait 24 hours for a reply, so I'm kinda stuck in the mud.

I'll download windirstat and let you know. Thanks.

I don't know if this means anything to you, but maybe someone else will know.. Once I realized the scandisk was errored, I checked details and got this

DETAILS
Checking file system on C: Volume label is Acer. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 561920 file records processed. File verification completed. 33105 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 6693 reparse records processed. 753282 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 6693 reparse records processed. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 95682 data files processed. CHFile verification completed. 33105 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 6693 reparse records processed. 753282 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 6693 reparse records processed. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 95682 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 39785272 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. KDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 39785272 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 975593471 KB total disk space. 856473420 KB in 340102 files. 254912 KB in 95683 indexes. 711747 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 118153392 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 243898367 total allocation units on disk. 29538348 allocation units available on disk. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
0093080054A6060088530D000000000057180000CE0100000000000000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 00089300 0006A654 000D5388 00000000
0010: 00001857 000001CE 00000000 00000000

In Bytes

0000: 00 93 08 00 54 A6 06 00 .“..T¦..
0008: 88 53 0D 00 00 00 00 00 ˆS......
0010: 57 18 00 00 CE 01 00 00 W...Î...
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
Where was the error? It passed the scan.

Where was the error? It passed the scan.
You can see it a few posts up, on the very top of the window. It reads something like "Error scanning drive".

I just did the scan. I don't know if this is the picture you want, but I still have it up.