Max Von Sydow, A Reviewography by 7thson

Tools    

Max Von Sydow

This is a thread I am dedicating to Max Von Sydow, who I feel is one of the greatest actors of all time. Yes he is still alive as of this posting so this is not an R.I.P. thread. Sorry if it looked that way. Hell he is even listed as filming right now and as having a role in the upcoming movie Bach.

It will simply be a place where I post reviews on his movies over the last 60 (almost 70) decades and maybe a few things about his acting career in general.

Here is a small bio I did about him I posted on MOFO around 12 years ago:

______
Max Von Sydow took my breath away when I watched him for the first time as Father Merrin trying to rid Linda Blair (Regan) of the “beast” that had taken possession of her. His on screen presence was magnificent and the Swedish actor has never failed to amaze me. He has played the son of God in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) and then switched sides later in his career in the wonderful film Needful Things (1993). His filmography is vast in deed and he is still making films as he closes in on his eightieth birthday. He is like a beacon in the dark when he enters a scene, and I am sure he is the same in person. He has a sparkle in his eyes that betray his seriousness at times, but it lends credence to his sarcasm which is one of the things I love about him. One of his favorite roles of mine is of course when he totally integrates his craft with the character Ming the Merciless in the 1980 cult classic Flash Gordon. He made his early mark on film playing in many Ingmar Bergman films including the Seventh Seal (1957) in which he played a game of chess against Death. He is one of my favorite actors and has been a roles model to me since I was very young.

Bergman himself said:

“There's an enigmatic relationship between Max and myself. He has meant a tremendous amount to me....As an actor, Max is sound through and through. Robust. Technically durable. If I'd had a psychopath to present these deeply psychopathic roles, it would have been unbearable. It's a question of acting the part of a broken man, not of being him. The sort of exhibitionism in this respect which is all the rage just now will pass over, I think. By and by people will regain their feeling for the subtle detachment which often exists between Max and my madmen."

Quotes from Max Von Sydow himself:

Bergman has a very special eye for people. His background taught him to listen and to feel.

I don't believe in devils. Indifference and misunderstandings can create evil situations. Most of the time, people who appear to be evil are really victims of evil deeds.

I think English is a fantastic, rich and musical language, but of course your mother tongue is the most important for an actor.

If Jesus came back today, and saw what was going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

He is still going strong and his most recent film The Inquiry where he plays, of all things, the Roman Emperor Tiberius. I look forward to this greatly.

Birth date/Birthplace

April 10th 1929 / Lund Sweden

_________

I really want to dedicate the time to rewatching his movies and seeing the few that I have never had the privilege to experience. As I watch them I will post a review on my thoughts on the film.

There will be no reasoning behind the order I watch them other than what I have available easily or what I am in the mood for. If anyone has a movie of his they would like me to watch or wants to share thoughts on him or a film I would be happy I welcome your input. I will be starting out with The Seventh Seal which I plan on watching tonight.

I am in no hurry to finish this, but I am already excited about the idea of watching his films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Love this thread and your love for Max.
If Jesus came back today, and saw what was going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.
Max did say this, in character, in Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters.

Love this thread and your love for Max.

Max did say this, in character, in Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters.
Thanks man.

Now I wonder if this should be in the review section even though it focuses on one actor. Eh, I guess it works in either.

The Seventh Seal

Written and directed by Ingmar Bergman.
Photographed by Gunnar Fischer
Edited by Lennart Wallen
Music by Sixten Ehrling.
Set design by P. A. Lundgren.

Cast
Antonius Block: Max von Sydow
Jons: Gunnar Bjoernstrand
Jof: Nils Poppe
Mia: Bibi Andersson
Death: Bengt Ekerot
Girl: Gunnel Lindblom

I may seem purposefully somewhat aloof in parts of my review (I am not) this is an amazing movie. There may also be some spoliery stuff, but nothing I feel that is too revealing.

Much of The Seventh Seal was filmed at Hovs Hallar, Sweden which I find to be exceedingly beautiful from the pictures I have seen. I would absolutely love to walk this beach one day.

I have to start by saying that I have seen this movie at least a dozen times, but it has been awhile since my last viewing. The film flows so wonderfully and I really enjoy the faraway look many of the actors have; always dreaming and wishing or even dreading, and you can see and feel it in their eyes..

Everything begins with one of the most iconic scenes in a film (from this era of cinema or from anytime for that matter) where Sydow’s character , a knight of the crusades, is questioning life and its meaning and man’s place in it all.

He is confronted by death and proceeds to entice him into a game of chess. Later when he is confessing he states that he wishes to die, but not without knowing the “truth”. Not satisfied with faith or blind acceptance he wants knowledge. Something that at some point we all seek, be us pious or otherwise. The knight desperately wants to believe in God, to see him, to know he exists, but is angry at God’s silence. During all this his character inadvertently reveals his strategy in the chess game and feels cheated.

As the knight and his squire ( Gunnar Björnstrand, 1909–1986) travel home they encounter other unconventional (or maybe not so much for the time) characters. One of my favorites is
the witch played by Maud Hansson.

Her gaze is mesmerizing.

Set upon the backdrop of the plague the movie expertly shows the dogmatic futility in believing God is punishing man.

From encountering the alleged witch that is to be executed/burned to death to the traveling actors, the philosophical and allegorical visual eccentricities of this beautiful yet somber and even frightening experience are startling. Every time I watch this masterpiece I too find myself questioning my place and if God exists. Why he seems to punish me at times and also causes pain to so many others, yet I also see the beauty of life and relish in the gift of it all.

The ending does leave a lot to be answered, but so does life and death, so in my mind it is fitting.

So just randomly picking a film of his I have not seen yet, or if I have I cannot remember it.

Robin Hood

Hopefully I can watch this in the next 2 or 3 days and get a review up.

Robin Hood

Directed by Ridley Scott
Screenplay by Brian Helgeland

Cast:
Russell Crow - Robin Longstride
Cate Blanchette – Marian Locksley
William Hurt – William Marshall
Mark Strong - Sir Godfrey
Danny Huston – King Richard

In the forest no one can hear you screaming because you paid to see this movie. Just kidding, for the most part. I almost went and saw this in the theaters when it first came out but that close-up of Russell Crow looking down an arrow at me was off-putting for some reason and I do like most of his films. I could not honestly remember if I had seen this film before I watched it last night, but it appears as if it was a fresh viewing for me.

I recall having a choice between it and something else, I want to say the Karate Kid Remake but not totally sure. Either way I am happy I did not see it in the theater as it is a fairly mediocre movie imo (Yes I know the Karate Kid remake was not that great either, but hey what can I say?).

It is the story we all know for the most part with a quite few twists and embellishments here and there as most Robin Hood flicks do, but this one kind of goes astray. I do like the premise of the plot, but it never really drew me in and many of the characters just seem like A holes. Sydow (and yes I am biased) does a very decent job as Sir Loxley and I wish he had more screen time in this movie. I love how he plays a blind character but you can still see passion in his eyes as both an actor and the elderly knight.

It was also a pleasure to see Hurt and Sydow in a more modern (filmed) scene together.

I do think the best performance overall in this movie does belong to someone else though. Cate was alright as Marian, but nothing too notable and Oscar Issac does a very nice job as the newly crowned douchy King.

The best though was Mark Strong as Sir Godfrey, if this movie was done with his character’s perspective I think they would have had something here, liberties to history and all. He certainly plays the part perfectly and I almost wish he had played the sheriff.

It did have some nice scenes, but not enough to get me too excited about seeing it again or even having done so in the first place. I may watch this again sometime to give it another chance as I went in not really liking the whole idea of Crowe as Robin.

i only know him from watching minority report, i ve never seen his old movies

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
a truly great actor to do a thread for and pretty excited to read the following reviews.

BTW, the movie in production, Bach, looks very worthwhile

Oscar going "the full Skeletor" .
you know Max didnt play Skeletor... it was Frank Langella

Max Von Sydow played Ming the Merciless.

you know Max didnt play Skeletor... it was Frank Langella

Max Von Sydow played Ming the Merciless.
How could I forget (in both cases) !?

No, it's a reference to when Oscar Isaac was playing Apocalypse in X-Men. He often got loud and expansive in the role and would discuss with Bryan Singer whether to "go the full Skeletor", a reference to Frank Langella in Masters of the Universe. You can see him using the same scenery-chewing scale in Robin Hood.

Very nice thread, 7thson! I too am a big fan of von Sydow's. I never tire of watching Three Days of the Condor (1975), largely due to von Sydow's part:

How could I forget (in both cases) !?

No, it's a reference to when Oscar Isaac was playing Apocalypse in X-Men. He often got loud and expansive in the role and would discuss with Bryan Singer whether to "go the full Skeletor", a reference to Frank Langella in Masters of the Universe. You can see him using the same scenery-chewing scale in Robin Hood.
Ah sorry, my misunderstanding.

Voyage of the Dammed
Directed by Stuart Rosenberg

Cast
Faye Dunaway
Max Von Sydow
Lee Grant
Malcolm McDowell
Orson Wells
And many more…

Rosenberg, of Cool Hand Luke fame, directed this film about the very controversial topic of Jewish immigrants seeking a safe Haven in Cuba aboard the MS St. Louis. Based on true, horrible, and momentous events this story is one that many nations (rightfully so in my mind) are very ashamed of. Max Von Sydow plays the ill-informed Captain of the liner that the Jews are using to escape their dilemma. It quickly becomes apparent (if you could not already tell by the film title) those poor souls are being used for nothing more than propaganda and there was never any intention of allowing them any type of refugee status. Although it is historically documented many have never heard of this awful account so I do not want to go into too much detail as to spoil the film. Oddly enough (outside of fellow movie aficionados) when I ask family and friends there are more who have not seen this or even heard of it than there are who have. This is of course my experience and it certainly may differ to other’s. After doing a little research it seems as if this is a story that has been ignored or just thought as something too painful and or embarrassing to talk about.

I know I have seen this movie in the past, but it has been a very long time and I certainly feel that I appreciate and sympathize with the subject matter now more than I ever knew was possible. My wife is Jewish and without trying to compare her struggles with anyone else she does get a lot of hate from people on occasion and especially in the customer service arena in which she works. Many times she has mentioned hateful talk about Jews from people that had no clue she is one. It pisses me off as does this flick, but in a way that educates and makes one reflect and not because of how the film was made.

The tragic footnotes at the end of the film bring home the absolute disregard our fellow humans can have for each other.

As for the acting and the filming I think this is an amazing movie. It draws one in to the plight of the passengers as well as the desire to see the right thing done. There are a few moments that shine and give a little feeling of justice. One of my favorite scenes in when the Captain confronts a Nazi party member played by Helmut Griem. The Nazi does his best to make the passengers feel uncomfortable and Sydow’s character is not having it on his ship.

This was the perfect part for him and he does it very well.

There are definitely other notable scenes:

Lee Grant was nominated for an Academy Award as Sam Wanamaker’s wife and if you have seen the film you know what scene more than likely got her that nod.

McDowell also does an excellent job as the captain’s assistant.

I definitely suggest this movie and wish it got more attention than it has. I cannot say that it stands up to a movie like Cool Hand Luke, but it did make me think quite a bit and there is definitely the advantage of star gazing whilst one watches. The only reason I do not rate it higher is because there are a few wasted roles by some amazing actors.

Oh I just noticed that the whole film is currently available on you tube. Give it a go if you have never seen it.

I guess not anymore