Do you think 1917 deserved Oscars Best Visual Effect over Endgame

Tools    

I did not see the other nominees, but I have to admit I was shocked that this was one of the few awards 1917 won...visual effects were not a standout element of this film in my opinion, I was sure this award was going to go to a Marvel movie.

I was surprised too. This was the nominations for the Best Visual Effects:

Avengers: Endgame

The Irishman

The Lion King

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Welcome to the human race...
I think 1917 won because it's arguably the least conspicuous use of VFX in the bunch, especially when you consider how it has to be integrated with the film's already-elaborate long takes. Compare that against the more homogeneous effects of Endgame or Rise of Skywalker, Lion King reusing the CGI that already won The Jungle Book an Oscar, and The Irishman not being entirely convincing when it came to de-aging its cast.

A bucket of anxiety
I was expecting Lion King to win because I was always blown away by the footage I saw of Lion King even though I didn't want to the movie to exist in any sense of the word. It actually bothered me how good it looked because it was such an abomination but I also hadn't seen 1917 yet. Now that I have, considering Disney already won for similar work in Jungle Book and I'm guessing Skywalker looked about as good as any new Marvel flick and The Irishman....? I think it makes sense that 1917 would win. The only obvious CG effect in the entire movie were the rats as opposed to when you see a Marvel film all of the CG is obvious.

A system of cells interlinked
Yes

Unfortunately, I haven't seen 1917, so I can't say that it should or shouldn't have won.

However, I have seen Endgame and I must say I wasn't impressed by its effects. Very standard when compared to the rest of the MCU. I think Alita: Battle Angel deserved a nom for that category far more than Endgame.

Unlike Spider-Man: Far From Home which had the cool Mysterio sequences, I can't think of a single scene in Endgame where the visuals were awesome and not average. The one exception would be the Portals scene, but that was mostly due to what it represented in the story rather than its effects.

That's just my take though. What specific scenes do you think it should have won for?