I'd Be Happy To Give You Movie Recommendations

Tools    

Anymore Movies you can Recommend for me. They can be Movies from 1970 - 2020. I really like any good Mystery Horror Movies with a good story.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Anymore Movies you can Recommend for me. They can be Movies from 1970 - 2020. I really like any good Mystery Horror Movies with a good story.

-The Ninth Configuration (1980)
-The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)
-Images (1972)

-Room For Rent (2019)

I like Woody Allen (minus his films he made during the period between September and Melinda and Melinda with a few exceptions (Mighty Aphrodite, Small Town crooks for example)
I like the Films of David Lynch, especially Blue Velvet, Wild at heart, Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive
I like the films of Jim jarmusch
I like dark comedy like Brazil and Dr. Strangelove.
I like movies that make you think Momento, Angel Heart, Lost Highway,
Movies with character development.
Movies that take time to present a tight plot.

Non english movies are not a problem with me as long as they are subtitled and not dubbed

I don't like a typical action movie. I like some of those that have a good story or a twist. (The French connection, Live and Die in La, Nolan's Batman Movies)

I don't like overly sentimental movies Titanic would be the example there.

I don't like thoughtless or sloppy movies. Plot holes, and silly movies.

I would rather watch a movie I like rather than watch some movies just to watch them. Syllvester Stalone, Arnold Schwartznegger, most Bruce Willis Movies (although I do like Sixth Sense and 12 Monkeys)

Interested in what you will come back with. Ask questions if you want me to be more specific.

Great thread! I'd love a recommendation or two for something in the likes of these 4 here:

Bad Boy Bubby (1993)
In China They Eat Dogs (1999)
Freeway (1996)
God Bless America (2011)

I haven't posted enough to be able to post links yet, but in case you feel extra helpful, my favorites are listed in the second post in my thread List your favorite movies here and get recommendations and my dislikes and overrated are in a post round the middle of page 32 in the thread Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Great thread! I'd love a recommendation or two for something in the likes of these 4 here:

Bad Boy Bubby (1993)
In China They Eat Dogs (1999)
Freeway (1996)
God Bless America (2011)

I haven't posted enough to be able to post links yet, but in case you feel extra helpful, my favorites are listed in the second post in my thread List your favorite movies here and get recommendations and my dislikes and overrated are in a post round the middle of page 32 in the thread Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

"Bad Boy Bubby" was a fine movie. The theme and story (especially before he leaves the house, which is all he knows) are excellent. I think his success later on were a bit too much, still a fine movie.

"God Bless America" was recommended to me by non-American backpackers in Europe. Maybe not a GREAT movie, but full of great points. I remember I identified with many of its points because I have a LOT of criticisms of modernity (last 40 years).

I would really like to watch something like what Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead have been making. Haven’t seen Synchronic (2019), but I’m especially fond of Resolution (2013) and The Endless (2017). I thought Spring (2015) was excellent, but what I want is more like the other two.

I think what gets me about their work is the metafictional aspect, with all the tapes, and also the aesthetics. The relationships are understated and restrained. So it’s something with that same sci-fi/horror flair, ideally explored through male gaze/two male protagonists.

"Bad Boy Bubby" was a fine movie. The theme and story (especially before he leaves the house, which is all he knows) are excellent. I think his success later on were a bit too much, still a fine movie.
I agree that the last half of the movie is a bit too much, but it's also what justifies the horror of the first half and makes it probably the most bizarre feelgood-movie ever. Can imagine lots of lame people not stomacking the beginning and writing the movie off as something completely different than what it is without watching the whole thing.

"God Bless America" was recommended to me by non-American backpackers in Europe. Maybe not a GREAT movie, but full of great points. I remember I identified with many of its points because I have a LOT of criticisms of modernity (last 40 years).
It's not great, but somehow it fits in with the other 3 movies. In China They Eat Dogs is however friggin GREAT in my opinion Black comedy at its very best.

Freeway is more of a B-movie, but pretty great in how it shines within its own rules, all from the eerie music in the begining until the end of the movie, leaving lame mainstream Hollywood conventions behind where they belong.

It's difficult to describe what these 4 movies have in common if you haven't seen all of them. I guess they all have some revenge theme going, but it's not so much that as the unpredictable and unconventional adrenalin driven dark humour they all share that gets me.

The low budget, low profile, straight to video vibe of especially Freeway makes me think there could be other good movies like this I haven't heard of. Like how most of Richard Linklaters movies are pretty great, or at the very least interesting and different, yet widely unknown.

I thought of a movie recommendation I'd like...anyone can respond.

I'm looking for a western with the theming of a film noir, anyone know of such a film?
Bad Day at Black Rock 1955 Directed by John Sturges