The B Movie Creature Feature Hall of Fame

Tools    

Could or has a B-movie ever accidentally became a blockbuster? I was under the impression that a B movie was more to do with the budget/production as Mark said, than how well it did at the Box Office. Nothing to do with this thread, i was just curious after reading your comment.
I worded that poorly. I don't know how they did at the box office, but I meant made with the intention of being a huge movie.

Yeah, that's a no.

Maybe I should not overcomplicate this and take away the b movie and just make it creature features? I will have a list of movies I will not allow to be nominated, namely Jaws and Alien, either of which could win a standard HoF.
But then you have to eliminate The Thing, and then King Kong, and then something else. And then 10 years down the road when someone is looking at the Hall of Fame results, they're going to wonder where all the best movies are, which is what the Hall of Fame means. That's why I think B movie creature feature is a great idea, but when I look at this thread, I see hardly anything that fits into that category in the spirit of how I know it.

I'm cool with however this Hof is done There seems to be different ideas as to what is a Creature Feature?

If we take the term Creature Feature literally, then it sounds to me like any movies with creatures that eat, scare or mess with humans.

But if we take the definition of Creature Feature from the Wiki link, then it sounds to me like we're talking about the types of low B budget films that were shown on late night Creature Feature TV shows. From the wiki link.

Creature Features was a generic title for a genre of horror TV format shows broadcast on local U.S. television stations throughout the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. The movies broadcast on the various shows were generally classic and cult horror movies of the 1930s to 1950s, the horror and science-fiction films of the 1950s, British horror films of the 1960s, and the Japanese "giant monster" movies of the 1960s and 1970s.
I use to watch one of the Creature Feature shows, late night they would play old B budget films (horror, horror-sci fi). I remember watching many old Vincent Price horror films; House of Wax, House of Usher, The Raven, The Haunted Palace

So if we go by the Wiki definition, those horror Vincent Price films should all count. But there's no creatures in them.

Yup, those old Vincent Price flicks, were fun old movies! Gosh, I use to stay up till 2 am trying to watch those as a kid on Friday night. That was a million years ago.

We've talked about what is and isn't a B movie.

IMO, a B budget film was intentionally made with low production values as it was intended for Sunday Matinee audiences usually with kids watching. Later the intended market was a double feature at a late night drive in. The films weren't made all that well because they knew the teens wouldn't be watching them too closely anyway.

So it's not so much about the cost of the film but who it was made for.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
It doesn't have to be as strict as the wiki page. I said before, I'd be a little more loosey ~goosey, I just want the majority of the movies to be in the pocket of a creature feature.

I always think of a creature feature is a creature that occurs in nature but may or may not have some sort of science~fiction element to it (see Prophecy) then that creature commences to eat the hell out of people. Like Anaconda, Sharktopus, Piranna, Malibu Shark Attack, Snow Shark, Arachnid, Them! Empire of the Ants.

All those examples are what creature features are to me.

I'll just post the movies I am thinking about nominating (If I decide to join, that is,) so if they are disqualified I won't worry about considering them any longer.

Frankenstein (1931)
King Kong (1933) Doesn't really fit the B-movie theme
The Wolf Man (1941)
Barbarella (1968)
Equinox (1970)
The Toxic Avenger (1984)
Little Otik (2000) - this could be pushing it, but it is about a wooden creature that eats people. An Otesanek.

I don't really have a whole lot of familiarity with the 50s sci-fi, B creature features, so that's why you don't see any of them up there. I also like having something a little out there, so maybe it will stand out from the pack.
Little Otik is a brilliant film but surely it's not a B movie!

Maybe we could split this into 2 Creature Feature Hofs? I think there's enough interest. One could be what most people would consider as a conventional B-movie creature features. The other could be more unconventional movies allowed.

Maybe we could split this into 2 Creature Feature Hofs? I think there's enough interest. One could be what most people would consider as a conventional B-movie creature features. The other could be more unconventional movies allowed.
Let's not and say we did.

Swan, have you ever ordered a pizza for a group of friends? It's near impossible to have 1 pizza suit everyone. Ya know, there's always one guy who hates mushrooms, another who hates olives, then there's the person who wants everything on the pizza and the girl who will only eat cheese.

So, I always order several pizzas. It keeps people happier that way.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Swan, have you ever ordered a pizza for a group of friends? It's near impossible to have 1 pizza suit everyone. Ya know, there's always one guy who hates mushrooms, another who hates olives, then there's the person who wants everything on the pizza and the girl who will only eat cheese.

So, I always order several pizzas. It keeps people happier that way.

I already told you that I'm sitting this one out, so you can order anything you want on your pizza. Even anchovies if it will make you happy.

Hi GBG, I wasn't thinking about you. I was thinking about HoneyKid's post:

I'm out. These just aren't B-movie creature features. Sorry. I'm sure I'll be in the thread, though.
That's why I suggested 2 Creature Hofs.

The girl who will only eat cheese is NOT suppose to be you. I would thought you would have known me better than that.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Hi GBG, I wasn't thinking about you. I was thinking about HoneyKid's post:

That's why I suggested 2 Creature Hofs.

The girl who will only eat cheese is NOT suppose to be you. I would thought you would have known me better than that.

Yeah, I knew that you were talking about Honeykid's post, but I'm usually "The girl who will only eat cheese" at the party.

but I'm usually "The girl who will only eat cheese" at the party.
You've never mentioned to me that you only like cheese pizza, so I would have no way of knowing that. I wasn't thinking of you when I made my post, that's the honest truth.

I seen that Honeykid was unhappy with a creature feature that allowed non-creature movies and so he didn't want to join.

I wanted to help and I hoped he would join, so I suggested that there could be 2 creature feature Hofs....

When I read Swan's post that he didn't think so. I thought I would explain my reasoning in an analogize type story, using ordering pizza for a group.

But then you thought I was poking fun at you with the 'girl who only eats cheese pizza'. I wasn't thinking of you or anyone here at MoFo. I would never intentionally say something to be mean to you. I know other people have been teasing you lately about the restaurants, but that's not what I was doing.

I've been a loyal friend to you for years, I wouldn't be mean. Now I'm bummed out by all this.

I've been a loyal friend to you for years, I wouldn't be mean. Now I'm bummed out by all this.
I wouldn't take it too bad. Gb thinks everything is about her. You could say your butt itches and she'd think you were talking about her.