Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

My movie:

Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Directed by Tony Randel
Released in 1988

I first saw Hellbound: Hellraiser II after it was released on VHS. I would have been five years old. That's a very young age to be watching something as depraved as that movie.

If you have not seen the first Hellraiser movie, please do not trouble yourself to watch that movie before watching Hellraiser II. Although it's good if you do, I am not asking you to. The reason I chose Hellbound: Hellraiser II instead of Hellraiser is simply because I think Hellraiser II is the most twisted horror film I know of. If that means I just haven't seen enough twisted stuff, so be it.

I wanted to showcase what I believe is something that is just "hardcore horror" while also being fascinating and beautiful in a dark way at the same time. The first Hellraiser movie has got it, too, and I actually think it's really the better movie, but Hellbound: Hellraiser II is just so balls-to-the-wall that I just couldn't not nominate it. It might possibly look dated or corny or cheap to your eyes, but behind my eyes and going back to a time when I saw it with such a young, innocent perception of the world, I see something out of this world, something so rich and complex and far more twisted than anything I've ever seen in horror films. It has given me nightmares throughout my life -- not as dreams that literally frightened me, but the characters and the emotions of the film have been there. It even has moments that I think (I think -- mind you, and you know, I haven't actually seen much of this) that I think seem like strange elements of a weird Japanese anime film, such as the bizarre creation of the Dr. Channard cenobite, with his tentacle fingers and such.

I know a lot about the movie and I've seen it countless times. When I first got it on Blu-ray, I watched it a ridiculous number of times, and it wasn't even that great of a Blu-ray transfer. I'm more numb to it now more than ever, but I can easily get in the mood for it again. I appreciate the film for how dark and sinister it comes across to me. What I like even more is that in some ways, it's not even as horrible as it really could be. It has a balance, I think, which has made it age well and live longer. Many horror aficionados KNOW this movie as a cult classic and understand why so many people love it more than the first Hellraiser. The art of Hellbound: Hellraiser II inspired a Hellraiser comic book series and a mythology -- there have been two comic book series, one that is still going on today. There are a legion of fans. People are fascinated by Hellraiser and it's largely thanks to this movie, not the first film. So, it may work for you, it may disgust you, it may do nothing for you. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

I only saw Hellbound once, at the movies when it came out. All I remember is that I didn't like it as much as the first, but I really love the first. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

I only saw Hellbound once, at the movies when it came out. All I remember is that I didn't like it as much as the first, but I really love the first. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
I am jealous that you got to see it at the movies when it came out.

By the way, Raul, some of the music in Hellbound: Hellraiser II is in Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3.

Like, when Doc Ock becomes who he is in that operating room, you can hear Hellbound music during that scene. Christopher Young, who scored Hellbound, did additional music for Spider-Man 2 and he did all of the music for Spider-Man 3. Which we just watched. He scored both Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II.

It still says on the first post that you can join. Okay well in hopes of slipping in...

Audition (1999) by Takashi Miike

By far the creepiest and most interesting Horror film I've seen. I consider very few movies to be truly frightening, and I love that sensation when a movie actually makes me feel fear. I also consider this to be Takashi Miike's best work of what I've seen. This is no slasher. Violence is used sparingly. It is the atmosphere and the nature of everything happening that sends shivers up your spine. Violence is not glorified as in so many of today's films. The violence in this movie is meant to repel you as violence should. It's the kind of movie that a typical slasher fan, if they don't understand the qualitative features of film very well, may likely accuse of being nothing more than an excuse for violence. Because it disgusts them, they don't understand why, and they don't like feeling that way. Movies are something to enjoy, so who would enjoy being grossed out? Me. But there is so much more to this film than it's ability to inspire fear. It's a gritty realistic film that pays a lot of attention to detail. I wish Miike had put this much effort into all of his films. I feel he would be up there with Kurasawa and Tarkovsky if he had.

I was hoping Swan would have nominated Alien.
And I was hoping you would nominate Halloween.

I definitely considered it. Obviously it was the first thing that popped into my head. But, I would hate to see it lose, and for these things I like to nominate something other than my tip-top favorites. Makes it more interesting for me.

I just finished watching The Abominable Dr. Phibes and it was a nice surprise. I was worried that I wouldn't like it, thinking it would be cheesy, and that it's something I would've liked a long time ago. That was partly true, in that I probably would've liked it more when I was younger, but that's the case with a lot of older horror films. The good thing is that I didn't find it all that cheesy; I mean it is a little, but I never thought it got silly at all. The story is good, it's well made, the death scenes are very good, the acting is good, it has just the right amount of humor, and Vincent Price is a God. Oh yea, brilliant closing song too. It turns out that it's just a pretty good all around movie, and I'm glad it was nominated because I was completely unfamiliar with it. I give it a very strong

Cool, cricket. I honestly haven't watched it since... damn, I must have been a wee lad. But I loved it back then. The most important part is that Price works for you, and it seems he did, so that's awesome.

Yea, and my ratings in this Hall of Fame won't be as high overall because they're just different types of movies. 3/5 is pretty great for me for a horror film. I don't look at many of them as masterpieces, but rather just a lot of fun.

Master of My Domain
Honeykid- Was on my watchlist for quit some time.

MovieMeditation- Rosemary's Baby is one of the few horror films I love. Being a psychological one is a likeable factor. It's thrilling from start to end and never keeps me relaxed, of course in a fun good way.

Swan- Lol love the way it twists the famous line. So far lookin good.

hello101- Never heard of it.

Jiraffejustin- Saw Suspiria a few months ago but didn't really enjoy it, maybe this HoF will give me a chance to re-discover it. Did like the stylish colors you mentioned.

Sane- Has been on my watchlist for quite some time but I avoided it. Now I have no excuse.

TheSamoanLawyer, Sexy Celebrity, Mistique- Heard of 'em, didn't seen 'em.

MovieGal- Never heard of it but that pic has me sold.

Godoggo- Glad someone chose a non-typical type of horror film. Looks pretty good.

Rauldc14- The Ring was decent for me, also IMO its kinda overrated.

Cricket- Well for starters it's Cricket. Yay!

TheUsualSuspect- Judging from description yours may be on of the favorites of the pack.

Are you a fan of Vincent Price by chance, Gatsby? If you haven't been introduced to him yet (which I'm sure you have), this is the film to watch. He is fantastic in it.

Master of My Domain
Not a fan but I do know him. Will keep a close eye on his performance.