The Fifth Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'm in.

I have a question that relates to a movie I'm considering nominating. Where is the cut off in terms of material that could be deemed offensive? So, from Miyazaki's Ponyo to Von Trier's Antichrist, where is the line

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm in.

I have a question that relates to a movie I'm considering nominating. Where is the cut off in terms of material that could be deemed offensive? So, from Miyazaki's Ponyo to Von Trier's Antichrist, where is the line
That's a great question, Sane and something I never considered. My first instinct was that I don't care let anything be nominated. I've seen Antichrist and I'm fine with that. However, I'm not watching A Serbian Film and I'm not watching Cannibal Holocaust and I'd rather not watch any movie where feces is consumed but I will if I have to.

I guess the thing to do is to tell us the specific movie and we can discuss why watching that particular movie would bother us or if it would or not and we can put it to a vote.

I'm not super sensitive (although some would consider me so, I guess) but I do have a short list of I won't watch that.

Well, if I take all the feces consuming movies off my short list I don't have much to choose from ...

I think I've changed my mind anyway and will go for something on the Ponyo end of the line but I'll put the movie I was thinking of out there for discussion - Blue is the Warmest Color.

As I said, I won't nominate it but it is a great movie and will give an idea of boundaries I guess.

I don't find that an offensive movie in the slightest and would hope that you would reconsider nominating if that's the reason you're thinking of not nominating it.

I can see good reasons for not wanting to watch a certain movie, but I think that we all should be able to handle explicit sex scenes for the purpose of the HoF.

OK, I'll think about it. I want to nominate a movie by a director that people may have not seen too much of - but is still a great movie. Kechiche and BITWC fit the bill but I have three others I'm considering. I'll get back to you in the next few days ...

For the record, I think Antichrist is a perfectly acceptable movie to.

I think that movies that are really out there and push the limits greatly of someone's sensibilities can be open for discussion as to wether they should be nominated and therefore force people to watch it when they may be very much opposed to otherwise, but I think mostly people should be tolerant of most movies.

I'd like to hear what other people think. If there should never be any limits or if some limits are acceptable and why.

OK, I'll think about it. I want to nominate a movie by a director that people may have not seen too much of - but is still a great movie. Kechiche and BITWC fit the bill but I have three others I'm considering. I'll get back to you in the next few days ...
No problem. It is a great movie. I just don't want you to not nominate it of you think it crosses some boundary because in my mind it doesn't come close, but I am really interested in the discussion of where those boundaries (if any) should exist for the future.

I got my nomination and pitch down. I actually think that this film might spark some interest from both arthouse lovers and genre film buffs, but we will see.

At least i did'nt nominate Brakhage

ok if I join in the discussions sometimes? Cant guarantee to watch all of them so don't want to take a voting place
Of course! I'd love to have your input.

Yes, Seanc, of course you can change your mind and be in.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Is gaining access to all nominated movies not an issue? I saw some listed in another thread that made me wonder.