Movie Forum Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Apartment is irresistible. I adore that film.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For those interested, Honeykid and I did a commentary for the first induction, Psycho.

Now someone will have to do The Apartment

the best movie nominated so far is clearly American History X . Teeter-G you're a beast man .

EDWARD NORTON FTW !

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
the best movie nominated so far is clearly American History X . Teeter-G you're a beast man .

EDWARD NORTON FTW !
You've seen all of the nominated movies? What'd you think of Werckmeister Harmonies by the way?

You've seen all of the nominated movies? What'd you think of Werckmeister Harmonies by the way?
i don't care about Werckmeister Harmonies ...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This is my full rankings of everything that I have seen for the Hall Of Fames so far. I wasn't a part of the first so I have not seen The Big Lebowski, American History X, The Producers, and Farewell My Concubine.

Gone Baby Gone
On the Waterfront
Some like it Hot
Psycho
After Hours
House
Purple Rose of Cairo
Mary and Max
The Swimmer
RoboCop
Faces
The Straight Story
The 400 Blows
Nausicaa of the Valley Of the Wind
Memento
The Apartment
Cabaret
The Hedgehog
The Insider
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Duck Soup
Eyes Wide Shut
Dark City
Blithe Spirit
Nashville
Sex, lies, and Videotape
City Lights
Dr. Strangelove
Once Were Warriors
Dr. Zhivago
The Wind Will Carry Us
Stalker
PMMM

Chappie doesn't like the real world
No. It generally takes people a bit to do their write-up. I usually do the announcement right before I add the write up, but I guess I should go ahead and do it.

The 3rd Hall of Fame had some great movies nominated and has been my favorite round thus far. Thanks again to everyone that participated. Every round gets better and better and I hope this continues on for a long time.

Here are the members and their nominations:

1. Some Like it Hot (1959 Billy Wilder)

Nominated by: Rauld14

"Why: I nominated it for the great performances from the three leads, all who put in their career performances. And Billy Wilder is a genius, with this being his best films among his tons of gems."

2. The Swimmer (1968 Frank Perry, Sydney Pollack)

Nominated by: Cobpyth

"This metaphorical journey through the life of a middle aged man from the upper class is captivating, original and some of the best drama I've ever witnessed. Burt Lancaster is magnificent in the main role.
This is one of my personal favorite films and I'm happy to share it with all the members of the committee. I hope you'll enjoy it!"

3. Nashville (1975 Robert Altman)

Nominated by: Seanc

"I have never seen a movie with so many characters end up blending together so seamlessly. No character is uninteresting. Great ending. This film is only growing better as I contemplate it."

4. House (1977 Nobuhiko Obayashi)

Nominated by: JiraffeJustin

"House is another great example of late 1970s horror, which, like its peers, pushed the boundaries of the depiction of terror on screen and reveals the interest in the language of experimental filmmaking in genre and mainstream cinema of the time." ~Alex Fitch

5. Sex, Lies & Videotape (1989 Steven Soderbergh)

Nominated by: Frightened Inmate #2

"one of the most fascinating character studies i've seen. it starts off a little slow, but by the end i was kind of in awe at how profound it was at times, and how great james spader was in it. i was thinking about it for a long time after it was over. certainly one of the best directorial debuts ever."

6. Urga (1991 Nikita Mikhalkov)

Nominated by: Sane

"A wonderful French/Russian production set in northern China and focussed on the culture clash when a Russian truck driver is helped by a family of Mongol farmers. Visually fantastic and very funny in parts."

7. The Insider (1999 Michael Mann)

Nominated by: Sci-Fi Slob

"Pumped up with sharp editing, vivid performances and a damning true story to tell, it's a morality tale with a hard contemporary punch." ~Liam Lacey

8. The Straight Story (1999 David Lynch)

Nominated by: Honeykid

"For a good few years now, I've said that anyone who doesn't like this film is someone I don't need to know. While that might not be true, I believe the sentiment is true, as I really can't see
how anyone even remotely human can't help but love this film. Can't help but get emotionally involved with Alvin and his journey to reach his brother. Why he's going, how he's getting there and
the people he meets on the way. The Straight Story is the film that keeps on giving. The film is life's journey and is as deep, introspective and philosophical as you want it to be. If you
want to watch a true story, you can. If you want to watch a simple story, you can. If you want to watch a film that can prompt you to ask yourself the most profound questions anyone can ask
themselves, well, The Straight Story can do that too. "

9. The Wind Will Carry Us (1999 Abbas Kiarostami)

Nominated by: Bluedeed

"More than any other modern director (save Hou Hsiao-Hsien), Abbas Kiarostami has spent film after film focusing on the development of a personal, poetic cinema. Kiarostami's personal cinema focuses on diegesis, the concept of the frame and the essence of narrative. The astounding thing about Kiarostami's personal cinema is how it takes what seems to be a limitation of the form and expands it into a powerful cinematic tool. The Wind Will Carry Us might be considered the peak of Kiarostami's cinema, a most difficult decision. Its a simultaneously material and spiritual film that forms its spiritual narrative not via grand montage or a stairway to heaven, but by careful framing and focused symbolism. Kiarostami's film is a rich and explorable text from a modern master."

10. The Hedgehog (2009 Mona Achache)

Nominated by: Wintertriangles

" I'm feeling a little sentimental, so I will choose The Hedgehog (2009) because, despite its absurdities, it is a film that is very touching but for reasons unbeknownst to me and I think a discussion will be really interesting for this kind of movie. Plus I think it'd be somewhat accessible, with the quirkiness of Amelie but enough to chew on for art house fans."

11. Mary and Max (2009 Adam Elliot)

Nominated by: Godoggo

"I love the way Adam Elliot takes two lonely sad people and makes them the heroes of their own stories without ever giving them any really extraordinary qualities. Even when dealing the darkest of subjects there is a triumph of spirit and perseverance of joy in these characters that I find inspiring."

12. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Nominated by: Gauporense

"So I am nominating my current favorite movie, PMMM (movie parts 1 & 2), which is the compiled TV series into 240 minutes, later on the creators made another movie to cash in the franchise (part 3), which I found much weaker. If you never watched those cerebral adult anime TV series like Lain, Rahxephon and Haibane Renmei, I don't know what you can expect from it. It's sorta similar to what I imagine would be a mix of Ghost in the Shell, Eraserhead, Videodrome and Sailor Moon. At first I though it was a children's anime but it began showing it's fangs over the first 80 minutes. It's all about manipulating the viewer with extreme success and a highly intricate plot (the most intricate I ever seem on a movie). Youtube has for free the TV version
up to 1080 resolution. It's slightly longer than the movie version because the movies cut a few scenes but I think it's the best version for a first watch."

13. 400 Blows (1959 Francois Truffaut) Winner

Nominated by: Pussy Galore

"Francois Truffaut's "The 400 Blows" (1959) is one of the most intensely touching stories ever made about a young adolescent. Inspired by Truffaut's own early life, it shows a resourceful boy growing up in Paris and apparently dashing headlong into a life of crime" ~Roger Ebert

Dr. Zhivago (1965 David Lean)

Nominated by: Ashdoc

"The sweep and scope of the Russian revolution, as reflected in the personalities of those who either adapted or were crushed, has been captured by David Lean in "Doctor Zhivago," frequently with soaring dramatic intensity. Director has accomplished one of the most meticulously designed and executed films--superior in several visual respects to his "Lawrence of Arabia." " ~A.D Murphy

And the Winner is: The 400 Blows

Congratulations Pussy Galore! It was a worthy nomination and one that was very high on my own list.

Write up coming soon.

Oh no. I didn't know I would have to do a huge write-up if my movie wins. That is terrifying.

You don't have to. Everybody has wanted to so far. If you don't want to then I will find a well-written positive review or something else to honor the movie. I may even do the write up myself if it's a movie I can really get behind. I think there is something a little more special about the person who nominated the movie doing the write-up, however.

Oh no. I didn't know I would have to do a huge write-up if my movie wins. That is terrifying.
If my puny mind can muster one up you will be fine. Besides nothing is beating Punch Drunk.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
If I know the movie well enough I'd be fine doing write-ups for those who don't want to, but it'd be much easier and less of a hassle if you just voted for my movie to win

I forgot about it I'll do it tomorrow!

As you can see I'm not perfectly billingual so I'll try to write in the best english that I can.

Did you decide to finish the 3rd Hall of Fame with only about 8 lists?

So how was the ranking for the 3rd one? I would like to know if PMMM did better than Stalker. I also don't know how Nausicaa performed in the 1st one (I know it wasn't in the top 6).