Cool Purchases You've Recently Made

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
I decided to make this thread because my brother recently bought me a lot of singles on vinyl(100 to be exact) and it came with Fat Domino's Blueberry Hill and I thought that was awesome. I wanted to let everybody know that I had that. Then I started thinking about all the cool things I've bought in thrift stores and yard sales, so I made this thread for the cool things I will buy this year. Or be given, or whatever. Most of these purchases are probably going to be vinyls because I was given a record player and 8-track tape deck for Christmas.

Feel free to tell us about the cool things you've bought or been given this year. Pictures are appreciated as well.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I bought a delicious chocolate cake, but I ate it
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've got a 45 somewhere of my uncle singing Blueberry Hill. My uncle wasn't Fats Domino.

Or was it Mockingbird Hill? I'll need to go hunting in the loft now.

He was an old Showband man, by the way (my uncle, not Fats Domino). The lawyer will know what I'm talking about.

My mom owns a thrift shop type place here in our very small town, and she lets me know whenever she gets a donation that includes movies in any format, and the other day there was a VHS that I thought was pretty interesting:

I am not a big college basketball fan, but with it being from the same year as the Olympic Dream Team and Christian Laettner having a big role in that college season I figured I would at least take a look at it. I haven't watched it yet, but I think it's a cool videotape.

Unregistered User
I've got a 45 somewhere of my uncle singing Blueberry Hill. My uncle wasn't Fats Domino.

He was an old Showband man, by the way (my uncle, not Fats Domino). The lawyer will know what I'm talking about.
I do indeed, my da was massively into them.

Is Richie Cunningham your uncle by any chance?

Nope, but he had a similar hair colour and the same baldness with which Ron Howard has come down with.

Uncle Matt wore a wig though, and never changed it even after his natural hair went grey. The ginger/grey striped combo made him look like a big friendly fox.

EDIT - Back on topic. Kinda.

Cool or what?

The first pair of Dunlop footwear I've bought since my Green Flash tennis shoes in the early 90s.

Extreme farming!

My newest favorite acquisition of the year: Lawrence of Arabia on DVD. I didn't purchase it, but it was sent to me by Yoda, because of my awesomeness at fantasy football.

Pfft! Your awesomeness at drafting Jamaal Charles. Booooo. BOOOOOO.

Ahem. Sorry. I get competitive.

But yeah, glad you dig it! It was on your list as unseen, so it seemed a good fit.

I spent $4.10 (AMERICAN!) today, I added some things to my modest media collection. I will do a bit of an update on this in a few minutes. I also received my box full of 45s from my brother, I can't play them yet because I am lacking an adapter but I will go through to see what I like, dislike, or don't recognize. I will post about it.

Do we have any members here that still spin vinyl?

I stopped at an antique shop and a Goodwill today. I didn't get to spend very much time at the antique shop. I would like to go back some time. They don't have a very good LP selection but they have a pretty good size 7" selection. A quick browse through one of the rows revealed some singles that I will most likely go back and nab. However, without the capabilities of even playing these yet I decided to wait and only purchase the one that I was most pleasantly surprised to see. I spent $1 on it, and I think it's a good deal. I don't know much about record rarity as I am a new "collector." But I picked up Vaughn Monroe's Black Denim Trouser and Motorcycle Boots.

The video shows a 78, but mine is a 45. I am pretty sure the 78 was only released in Europe.

At Goodwill I bought two VHS tapes, a paperback book, and a cassette tape.

I spent a dollar each on the VHS tapes: I bought Boogie Nights because I liked the box art and because it's a great movie obviously. I also bought Stripes. The tape is from 1987, and it's in great shape. The sticker on the tape itself is in great condition. The box is pretty neat as well, even though it does have a little wear.

The cassette tape is The Police - Every Breath You Take. I paid 60¢ for it. It includes their singles, so all the stuff I like without the stuff I don't. The Police were always a singles band for me, and I really like most of their singles from the era.

The book is the Folger Shakespeare Library edition of The Taming of the Shrew. It comes with detailed explanatory notes, which will help me feel less stupid when I read it. It only cost 50¢, so I thought why the heck not.

I would have bought a paperback copy of The Brothers Karamazov, but somebody wrote their name on it and that bugs me for some reason.

for those of you who thought "tl;dr" I picked up Stripes and Boogie Nights on VHS, a Police cassette tape that only included their singles, The Taming of the Shrew with detailed notes for dummies like me, and Vaughn Monroe's Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots single on vinyl.

Going through the box of 45s my brother bought me on eBay has been disappointing, most of the records look too beat up to play. He told me that the seller told him he could return them if they weren't in good shape. Apparently she didn't look at them, I don't know. I will let him have them back, so he won't be down $60.

WD Hard-drive. These things are a GOD send. Can never have too many.

Once I pick up the Robocycle deck I might take a rest for a while.

Heck, I don't even play cards that often and my days of doing magic tricks ended whenever Paul Daniels got dropped from primetime BBC1.