Godoggo's 120 favorite movies

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've wanted to do a personal favorite list for awhile now. I was going to do a write up for each movie in advance, but I've scrapped that idea. I do a few things well, but writing is not one of them. I just ended up hating every thing I wrote and threw it all away. I think a few ill-written rambling sentences off the top of my head works much better for me.

The reason I chose 120 movies is simple; as I narrowed my list down I didn't want to part with any of the movies once I got to this number. I'll just go with it.

Until we get to the top 10 or 15, there is no rhyme or reason as to the order of the movies. It's not something that works for me. A different day and a different mood number 22 could move to number 56, so the movies are numbered simply to let me know where I am in the list.

So enjoy. I can guantee that the only person who is going to like every movie in this list is me, but I bet you'll like at least a couple.

120. Harvey Krumpet(2003 Adam Elliot)

Fakt 116: Certain frogs can come back to life when thawed. Humans do not.

My one and only short on my list belongs to Harvey Krumpet. I know it's cliche to say that a film is inspirational, but Harvey Krumpet is my clay-mation hero. Everything awful happens to Harvey, (his parents freeze to death, he has tourettes, loses a testicle and there is even more) but not only does he persevere, he finds a way to live life to the fullest.

Adam Elliot has a real gift for finding the joy in the absurd and I love that.

I'll have to seek that out. I like claymation.

And I need to add some more to my own ongoing cool movie list. I get distracted easily.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I found the short film on YouTube, I'll watch it when I'm not in the mood for a full movie.

I like clay-animation, have you seen any Svakmajer works?

118. Moonstruck (1987 Norman Jewison)

Moonstruck is an intelligent, quirky, funny movie about love and family. I'm a big Cher fan and this is her best role. Nic Cage could have gone over- the-top, but he plays his role with the perfect blend of sincerity and humor. Olympia Dukakis is another stand out playing Cher's mother.

119. National Velvet (1944 Clarence Brown)

I was one of those preteen girls who loved horses and everything about horses. I had every movie and book about horses I could get my hands on. I even had a horse. It only made sense that I fell in love with this movie, but now that I am no longer that girl, it's still one of my favorites.

It's a great family movie. The Brown's are warm and supporting but without being all too schmaltzy. Maybe a little, but just a tad. I love the parents. Some of the moment between the two of them are my favorites in the movie. I also like that Mrs. Brown is a strong female and encourages Velvet to be so as well.

I found the short film on YouTube, I'll watch it when I'm not in the mood for a full movie.

I like clay-animation, have you seen any Svakmajer works?
No, but that's a good reminder. Someone recommended Alice to me a long time ago and I still haven't seen it.

I hope you guys like Harvey Krumpet. In 22 minutes, I laughed, cried and cheered. Sometimes at the same time. After my first viewing, I sent the YouTube link to a few people. Not one of them liked it. One of my friends called it a "depressing piece of crap." And here I thought it was one of the most life affirming things I've ever seen.

I'll have to seek that out. I like claymation.

And I need to add some more to my own ongoing cool movie list. I get distracted easily.
Yeah, I was wondering if you were going to put more movies up soon.

I love, love, love clay-mation. I wish that Adam Elliot would do a story of my life, so that I could be a clay-mation character.

That's the first time I've heard of Moonstruck in several years. I wasn't interested in seeing it when I was younger, but since I like Cage and Cher, I'm going to make an effort to see it now.

Never heard of the other.

116. Basquiat (1996 Julian Schnabel)

Boom...For Real!!

Oh, if I could travel back in time and live in New York during this period.
This is Schnabel's directortial debut about doomed artist John-Michel Basquiat. I don't think anyone but Schnabel's should have made this movie. Because of his artistic sensibilities and his own involvement with this world (he knew Basquiat and Gary Oldman's character is loosely based on himself and those are his paintings we see in his studio) the atmosphere feels authentic. The movie itself is a piece of visual artwork. The scene where Basquiat is walking through New York in his pajamas is hauntingly tragic.

Jeffrey Wright's performance is almost spooky it's so right on. There has never been a better Andy Warhol than David Bowie and Dennis Hopper is surprisingly funny as art collector Bruno Bischofberger.

117.Terribly Happy (2008 Henrik Ruben Genz)

A trippy noir from Denmark. I'm suprised this one doesn't get mentioned more as it seems like a movie a lot of people would like.

It's definitely a movie that the less you know going in the better, so I'll just say that all you fans of the Coen brothers should give this a watch.

Sought this out on YouTube, very enjoyable. I would agree that it was life affirming. 22 minutes of clay-mation is just the right amount.

That's the first time I've heard of Moonstruck in several years. I wasn't interested in seeing it when I was younger, but since I like Cage and Cher, I'm going to make an effort to see it now.

Never heard of the other.
You must see it if you like Cage and Cher. Nice to see another Cher fan, by the way.

National Velvet isn't going to appeal to everyone, but it's worth a watch to see what you think.

Damn. Harvey Krumpet. You're pretty cool I'd say.

Don't be surprised about the lack of familiarity with Terribly Happy, Denmark's output aside from von Trier is pretty unknown, though it looks good.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
National Velvet appeals to my family and me, and it's in my extended mafo's MoFo Top 100. (Forgive the weirdness of this post - I thought it made sense at the time).

I think I have a couple more on this list in common with you, Mark. I didn't realize you had National Velvet on there though.

I think it's a movie that appeals to a lot of people, but I wasn't quite sure if Cricket would be one of them.