Cinemaafficionado's 300 Most Memorable Movies

→ in
Tools    

41. Miller's Crossing

This is the neo-noir of all neo noirs. The Coen brothers masterpiece dwells on gang rivalry in the prohibition era 1920's.
All the characters are richly developed and depicted. Arguably Gabriel Byrne's finest performance, his Tom Regan is a compellingly amoral character who takes his beatings from just about everybody but manages to glide through unscated. Alber Finney is great as Leo, the local crime boss and Jon Polito as Johnny Caspar is his chief rival, both funny and psychotic. The great cast is rounded off by John Torturro, J.E. Freeman and Marcia Gay Harden.
That this movie has not received more acclaim is a mystery but just like a " Touch Of Evil " , I believe it is destined for more belated accolades.

42. Mystic River

This precisely and compactly directed movie should serve as a blueprint on how to make movies. No special effects, no sci-fi, it's pure acting and Sean Penn does a remarkable job at it, so ably supported by
Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon.
The story is engrossing and unfolds with ease as it rivets it's audience.
The death of Jimmy's ( Sean Penn ) daughter reunites three childhood friends: Jimmy , Sean ( Kevin Bacon) and Dave ( Tim Robbins ).
Sean is the lead detective in the murder investigation, while Jimmy launches his own. The clues lead to Dave, whose ghosts from the past come a haunting.
Clint Eastwood's directing is so exacting that every piece of the movie marvelously fits together at an even and upbeat pace.
In 2003, this movie won the AFI Best Picture Of The Year.
In 2004, it was nominated for 5 Oscars: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor and won for Best Actor: Sean Penn and Best Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins.

Millers Crossing is alright, though, Mystic River is a great Film.

43. Unforgiven

In one of the great westerns of all time, in 1992 Clint Eastwood hones his skills as a director and actor and realistically brings to life the American cowboy west. His character is intriguing as he is a contrasting combination of a remorseless killer and a humanitarian, a dose that many an American cowboy had to posses to survive.
The cast is enriched by the presence of Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris and Jaimz Woolvett.
In 1993, this movie was nominated for 9 Oscars out which it won 4:
Best Picture, Best Director - Clint Eastwood, Best Supporting Actor - Gene Hackman, and Best Film Editing - Joel Cox.

32. Daas Boot

In 1981, Wolfgang Peterson captured the perfect feel of a Nazi Germany U-boat crew. A group of young nationalist boys find themselves in the iron confines of a submorine and the claustrophobia that ensues makes them begin to doubt their cause and their Fuhrer, whom they've been nurtured to love and trust.
The script and character development, as well as the directing and acting,
make this realistic portrait one of the finest war movies ever made.
In 1983, this movie was nominated for 6 Oscars.
Masterpiece.

44. The Raid: Redemption

Not used to seeing action gems come out of Indonesia, so this movie rerally surprised me.
In 2011, director Gareth Evans put together a stupendous combination of fight choreography, cinematography and sound effect to create one of the best action movies ever. The pace and the realistic fight scenes resonadated without pause throughout the whole movie.
Using the same premise as the Game of Death II Seven Star Tower, a Swat Team ( unlike the poorly edited and incorporated individual Bruce Lee random fight scenes ) raids and fights through a number of floors in a fortified highrise against overwhelming odds and an extremely well prepared drug lord.
Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian, Donnie Alamsyah and Joe Taslim put on a true fight clinic.
For this movie, in 2011, Gareth Evans, received The People Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival and in 2012, Gareth got acknowledged at the Deauville Asian Film Festival, Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival and Dublin International Film Festival for Best Director and Best Film.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Great to see you back around the forum CA.

And after recently watching it I've got to agree with you listing Unforgiven; terrific film!

Great to see you back around the forum CA.

And after recently watching it I've got to agree with you listing Unforgiven; terrific film!
Thanks, looking forward to reading some more of your great reviews.

45. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

I'm a big fan of intelligent comedies and this one was a beaut.
In 1988 Michael Caine and Steve Martin teamed up to create this
favorite. The chemistry between them was flawless. Both conmen and
gigolos ( one small time and the other a gourmet ) they compete with
one another for the affection of available rich women cruising the
French Riviera. This gem of a movie had me in stiches.
For his role in it, in 1989, Michael Caine got nominated for Best Actor
Golden Globes (Comedy/Musical).

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Thanks, looking forward to reading some more of your great reviews.
Well I think there are a fair few you can catch up on so have fun!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
45. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Funny movie, but have you seen the original, Bedtime Story, with Marlon Brando, David Niven and Shirley Jones? Brando is a riot as the idiot Steve Martin character.

No I haven't seen Bedtime Story. I don't think I've ever seen Brando in a comedy ( if I do I might not take myself so seriously ). I'll have to check it out anyway.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
He did a few other comedies, such as The Freshman (spoofing Don Corleone) and Teahouse of the August Moon, which I like but you have to be able to laugh at Brando playing a Japanese.

Frankly, I intentionaly avoided those. Didn't want them to change my perception of Brando. It was sad enough to see him go as he did, Phillipina maid and all!

46. Old Boy

One of the best movies to come out of South Korea, Old Boy starts of with a simple premise: A man is imprisoned, drugged and tortured for 15 years with no clues as to why and no one to hold accountable.
As the movie unfolds the truth is revealed and the man exacts his vengeance.
This thriller delivers with a Korean twist.
The story, coreography and cinematography are equisite.
This movie is part of the Vengeance Trilogy, directed by Chan-wook Park.
The other two movies are Simpathy For Mr. Vengeance and Simpathy For Lady Vengeance.
The main protagonist of Old Boy is superbly portrayed by Min-Sik Choi, who went on to be cast as the villian and unforgetable serial killer in I Saw The Devil.
Old Boy received numerous wins and nominations.
Among them, in 2004 it received Best Director and Best Actor at the Asia-Pacific Film Festival and in 2006 got nominated for Saturn Award - Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film.

47. Papillon

In 1973, Franklin J. Schaffner directs one of the best prison escapes of all time. Based on Henri " Papillon " Charierre's autobiography and adapted to the screen by Dalton Trambo, this movie is about the infamous French island penal colony and the two men ( Papillon - Steve Mcqeen and and Lois Dega - Dustin Hoffman), who serve time there and form a life long friendship.
Papillon, just like the butterfly, can not be contained in one place and his unconquerable spirit pushes him to escape, time after time, from a place that was considered escape proof.
This is truly an amazing story, majesticaly portrayed by Steve Mcqueen, who garnered 1974 Golden Globe for Best Actor.
Also, in 1974, Papillon was nominated for Oscar - Best Music Original Score.

48. Jaws

It's funny how this movie changed my ocean swimming awareness.
In 1975, Steven Spielberg created a cinematic masterpiece by masterfully directing and combining great dialogue, suspence and music to expose to the world the menacing great white shark.
The interplay of Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw , Richard Dreyfuss and The Shark is just pure joy and terror.
In 1976, this movie received 4 Golden Globe nominatons: Best Motion Picture, Best Director, Best Screen Play out of which it won Best Original Score -John Williams.
It was nominated for 4 Oscars: Best Picture and won Best Film Editing, Best Sound and Best Original Music.