Favorite Japanese Movies

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Love Japanese Cinema! Nothing else like it.

Really like Takeshi Kitano films, prob in this order

Zatoichi
Hana Bi
Sonatine
Brother
Violent Cop
Boiling Point

also like

Ichi the Killer
Azumi 1 and 2
Battle Royale
Audition
Dark Water

and loads I haven't seen yet.

Eureka

It makes one believe that intimate human connections are possible, that empathy is worth struggling for.

the ring, althought the american remake was better imho
7 samurai
ran
13assassins - loved it. a great throwback.

Harakiri
Woman in the Dunes
The Face of Another
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
Kuroneko
Mind Game
Akira

1. Tokyo Story (1953)

2. Seven Samurai (1954)

3. Akira (1988)

4. Late Spring (1949)

5. Spirited Away (2002)

6. Rashomon (1950)

7. Like Someone in Love (2012)

8. The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959)

9. The Hidden Fortress (1958)

10. Princess Mononoke (1997)

11. The Embryo Hunts in Secret(1966)
12. Ran (1985)
13. Yojimbo (1961)
14. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
15. House (1977)'
16. Nausicaä (1984)
17. Paprika (2006)
18. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)
19. Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)
20. Lady Snowblood (1973)
21. Sonatine (1993)
22. Porco Rosso (1992)
23. Ringu (1998)
24. Audition (1999)
25. Branded to Kill (1967)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I was supposed to don't watch more Kiarostami, but his latest film really got me interested. I have to watch more Ozu as well and watch at least one Miyazaki film. I feel like otherwise Gua is going to kill me!

From my top 50:

Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Tokyo Story
Ikiru
Red Beard

In no particular order:
Godzilla
Throne of Blood
Battle Royale
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Hidden Fortress
Godzilla vs Mothra
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail
13 Assassins
and Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy

I was supposed to don't watch more Kiarostami, but his latest film really got me interested. I have to watch more Ozu as well and watch at least one Miyazaki film. I feel like otherwise Gua is going to kill me!
Why wouldnt you watch more Kiarostami? Imo he is one the greatest directors still making movies, even though his movies in the 1990's: Close-Up, Through The Olive Trees and Taste of Cherry, probably are his best movies. Anyone making a list for the MoFo 1990's should watch those films.

I need to watch more Ozu as well. I got Floating Weeds recommended and its on my to watch list but other than that im not really sure whats worth watching (He has made 54 movies).

I like Miyazaki, though not in the same degree as Guapo. I still need to see My Neighbour Totoro. Spirited Away and Princess Mononeke are def. my favorites.

I've seen Taste of Cherry and thought it was not bad
. The Wind Will Carry Us seriously put me off.
Had this let down since then.

I've seen Taste of Cherry and thought it was not bad
. The Wind Will Carry Us seriously put me off.
Had this let down since then.
Have you seen Close-up and Through The Olive Trees? I would def. start with those.

Certified Copy from 2010 should also be very good, i think im going to watch it tomorrow...

Anyway im a Kiarostami fanboy and besides Bela Tarr and Haneke he is one of my favorite "modern" directors. The only one out of the 9 movies ive been kind of disappointed with is Ten which i gave

Have you seen Close-up and Through The Olive Trees?
No. Might try one of these in the future.

On topic: Loved Dolls and Departures when it comes to newer movies!

Japanese movies and tv series tend to be more powerful than movies made in other countries. I don't know why but they appear to be more realistic in their depiction of life and so their fictional characters appear more real than from movies made in other countries, which makes their movies more moving.

I think that's because in the Western world fictional narratives focus on the hero's journey (something that is not routine) and not on the more common aspects of life, while Japanese fiction, including even the craziest fantasy animated series, tend to develop a much stronger domestic and more realistic characters side than western fictional works. Western fiction portrays characters that are much more extrovert and much less risk averse than real people (they are heroes and not ordinary folk) while Japanese fictional characters are more introvert and risk averse, thus more like real people (they are just ordinary folk).

Some of the stuff I think are a must:

These were among the movies I though deserved a

Kurosawa
-- Rashomon

-- Ikiru

-- Seven Samurai

-- Red Beard

-- Dersu Uzala (Soviet film, though)

-- Ran

-- Dreams

He is Japan and Asia's greatest director in history. If one wants to be literate about films one must watch at least a dozen Kurosawa films.

Ozu
-- Late Spring

-- Tokyo Story

-- An Autumn Afternoon

Ozu is perhaps the most humanistic of directors (at least from those which I know something about). No other film director managed to touch the human soul so naturally and with as much depth as Ozu. As Kurosawa once described Ozu's films: like still water with strong currents underneath.

Though I still haven't watched a large proportion of his films, so I can only give three masterpieces to the table. I think that the average quality of his films is superior to Kurosawa's, even though he is slightly less influential.

Mizoguchi
-- Ugetsu

-- Sansho Dayu

Mizoguchi is another great director. Though I must admit that his filmmaking skills were significantly lower than Ozu's and Kurosawa's. His movies fell less "natural" on average (sorry for my lack of my English vocabulary) and pacing is a bit off, though he was the most popular Japanese director among Western critics in the 1950's and 1960's, thanks to his exotic period dramas, and despite the relative difficulty I found in consuming his work I think that movies like Ugetsu are still incredibly powerful and unforgettable experiences.

Miyazaki
-- Future Boy Conan (TV series)
-- Nausicaa
-- Castle in the Sky
-- My Neighbor Totoro
-- Kiki's Delivery Service
-- Porco Rosso
-- Princess Mononoke
-- Spirited Away
-- Howl's Moving Castle

The greatest Japanese living director, greatest animator in history and also my favorite director overall.

Takahata
-- Grave of the Fireflies
-- Only Yesterday

Another animation director, not as good as Miyazaki on average but when he gets things right his movies are as moving as Ozu's and more adapted to the modern zeitgeist.

Mainly due to the rise of the manga, since the 1980's the animation industry became much bigger than live action cinema in Japan. Even Kurosawa complained in the late 1980's that animation had drawn out all the talent from film.

Most animation in Japan is made for TV and video, Ghibli is the only animation studio out of the over 430 animation studios in the association of animation studios of Japan that focuses exclusively on film, the others produce mostly TV and direct to video products. As a result I think that watching stuff like the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion is a must, even though it is extremely silly it is also a extremely powerful and unforgettable series. Even more silly but perhaps even more powerful and quite disturbing is another anime series I am watching lately, Madoka, it is about magical girls and it's genre that it's fits in are drama, horror and tragedy, it's target demography are young adult males.

Hmm, most of you guys seem to be films little bit old films. Of course I like them, but my favorite is “Water Boys” recently released in 2001, because it describes younger days in school days, but every male student like to do synchronized swimming haha.

my favorite is
Hana-bi (Fireworks)
Seven Samurai
Tokyo Story
Battle Royale
Tokyo Olympiad

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa of the valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Seven Samurai
Grave of the Fireflies (I've only seen Fireflies once but that was enough)

A great new film from Japan is Departures !

As for my favourite It's between Ikiru and Grave of the Fireflies