Favorite Korean Movies

Tools    

Some I adore from South Korea:

My Sassy Girl

A Bittersweet Life

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - actually like most from the director Kim Ki-duk, especially Samaritan Girl/Samaria.

The Host

A Tale of Two Sisters

The Big Swindle

The Good The Bad The Weird

H

Tell Me Something

Oldboy, and the other two in the trilogy - Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance, and the director's J.S.A.

Mr. Socrates

The President's Last Bang

The President's Barber

The Chaser

There are more but that will do for now.

Some I adore from South Korea:

My Sassy Girl

A Bittersweet Life

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - actually like most from the director Kim Ki-duk, especially Samaritan Girl/Samaria.

The Host

A Tale of Two Sisters

The Big Swindle

The Good The Bad The Weird

H

Tell Me Something

Oldboy, and the other two in the trilogy - Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance, and the director's J.S.A.

Mr. Socrates

The President's Last Bang

The President's Barber

The Chaser

There are more but that will do for now.
I have all of them except Sassy Girl, which I haven't seen. The Chaser, Ppresident's Barber, President's Last Bang, Mr. Socrates, The Big Swindle I enjoyed. All the rest are on my list as exceptional with the exception of Tell Me Something and The Good, The Bad and The Weird, which I found a weird rip-off of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ( if in name only ).

and The Good, The Bad and The Weird, which I found a weird rip-off of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
It's a homage to that film... the title gave that away. Not a rip off in the slightest, but its own wonderful spin on the original film, also lots of things in the Korean film that don't even appear in the Eastwood film.

Put me in your pocket...
I'll have to check out a few on your list. A few of them I've had in my hand (like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring), but put them back for one reason or another. I'll definitely go back and take another look.

Have you seen The Way Home (2002) yet? It's a wonderfully touching slice of life/ relationship movie between a spoiled little boy from the city and his hard working, sweet grandmother who lives in the country.

For your info, its Lee Chang-dong, not Chang-dong Lee. Also, its Zhang Yimou and not the other way round. Chinese/ Korean names are like that.
Yes, of course you are right, but we are still in the west, or are we?

I liked Mother.

I'll have to check out a few on your list. A few of them I've had in my hand (like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring), but put them back for one reason or another. I'll definitely go back and take another look.

Have you seen The Way Home (2002) yet? It's a wonderfully touching slice of life/ relationship movie between a spoiled little boy from the city and his hard working, sweet grandmother who lives in the country.

Thanks, haven't seen it yet but looks worth checking out.

You hit it right on the head, just from the 4 Korean movies I have seen

You hit it right on the head, just from the 4 Korean movies I have seen
Thanks, I've seen many Korean movies ( well, maybe not as many as Japanese ) but the ones I listed are really my favorites and I unabashadly
recommend them, so now you got a repertoire. Just go down the list and enjoy!

Sudoku Blackbelt
Musa The Warrior is a wonderful adventure. I own it, and I've watched it a handful of times. Now I have to go downstairs and get it.

I am glad there are others who have seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring, because I have a question that's been driving me bananas since I saw it.

When I watched the movie, there were subtitles throughout...except forwhen the guy was carving whatever it was on the floor/deck. This was obviously the climax of the movie, where it all came together, and I couldn't read it!!!

can someone please tell me what it was the guy was carving?

Musa The Warrior is a wonderful adventure. I own it, and I've watched it a handful of times. Now I have to go downstairs and get it.

I am glad there are others who have seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring, because I have a question that's been driving me bananas since I saw it.

When I watched the movie, there were subtitles throughout...except forwhen the guy was carving whatever it was on the floor/deck. This was obviously the climax of the movie, where it all came together, and I couldn't read it!!!

can someone please tell me what it was the guy was carving?
It was Korean caligraphy. The old man told him to practise carving it with his knife to let his anger out ( as he could kill easily but was not easy to kill ).