Best Movies Of The 90's

Tools    

What are some of the best movies from the 90's?
I'd have to say: The Shawshank Redemption, and Forrest Gump. What are your favorites?

I agree with both of those choices - both were just fantastic. I can't get over how good Forrest Gump was.

I'll tell you this much: "Titanic" sure as hell wouldn't be on my list!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I personally think Titanic was a very good movie. The first time I saw it, not so much, but from all the times its been on HBO it's actually a good movie. I never really apreciate a movie the first time I see it as much as the second time.

Sorry - I hated it. Leo just read off the teleprompter and went home each day. The guy was terrible in that movie. He has talent, but it didn't show there at all. Not only that, but he was the only one in the movie who sounded out of place - he sounded like he was from LA - everyone else's voices were the way they should be.

I liked all three movies mentioned. The 90's had a ton of great films...i can't even begin to mention them all.

The Cider House Rules was great and should be on the list of top movies in the 90's.

I just thought of a few more movies: Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List. Two very good Steven Speilberg movies.

Didn't see it.
I'd second Saving Private Ryan.

I can narrow my list down to 15...lol. In no particular order: Ghost, Goodfellas, JFK, Silence of the Lambs, A Few Good Men, Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Good Will Hunting, As Good As It Gets, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, American Beauty, The Green Mile, The Sixth Sense, and Dances With Wolves. LOL. I think that's it for me

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

Most of the ones mentionned were great and I'd add Gladiator (if we are talking about movies made in the 90's), The Messenger, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and the list goes on and on and on...but if it's for the originality it's definately Gladiator

Cheers!

I have watched American Beauty around 5 times this week, it is such a great flick. I also agree with Rodney on his suggestions.

without a doubt, "Saving Private Ryan". "Forrest Gump" was GOOD, but ... well, predictable. VERY predicatable. The special effects were good, and obviously I think that Tom Hanks is an excellent actor if I cast my vote for "Ryan".

I would love to hear what people think that the WORST movie of the 90's was -- I lean to that stupid sequel to "Saturday Night Fever", but cant remember if that was an 80's or 90's movie. I wasn't too thrilled with "When A Man Loves A Woman" either.... it made "alcoholic" Meg Ryan so sanitized. Anyways, what about it? What do you think the WORST movie of the 90's (or of all time) was??

The Adventure Starts Here!
I tend to base my decision on how good a movie is on whether or not I'll drop everything and watch it when it comes on cable.

So, with that definition (not scientific, but anecdotal), I'd have to put these down:

Raising Arizona (uh oh, was that '80s or '90s?)
Forrest Gump
As Good As It Gets
The Matrix
Austin Powers (the first one, before it became a pop culture icon)

...and suddenly I'm blanking on movies specifically in the '90s. Figures.

Raising Arizona was actually made in 1987:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0093822

The others are all obviously in the 90s though. For me, being younger, the problem is naming movies from the 90s, not from 2000.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Another thread here made me remember another one I always watch now: Fargo.

The first time I saw it I could barely sit through it -- it was kinda gory and I had trouble finding the humor behind it.

Now it's just hysterical. Frances McDormand (wife of one of the Coen brothers who did the film) is so great in that movie. And again, Wm. H. Macy, a favorite in anything he does. I think it's his eyes.

William H. Macy is, for me, grouped with Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman - those three are very "real" looking. They're not terribly good looking or particularly interesting to look at - they have oversized features at times, and other such things.

They remind me of what someone said on this site once: that he likes Renee Zellweiger (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) because when she squints, it makes him squint. Those people look like people we might know.

My absolute favorite would be "Fargo". Other 90's favorites would include "L.A. Confidential", "The Usual Suspects", "Red", "Raise the Red Lantern".

And a real "guilty pleasure" that I can watch over and over is "Velvet Goldmine". It just totally captures that place and time and has great music.

Sid
I would have to say that Dances With Wolves is one of the best movies of the 90's and all time
just love that movie. i own the 180min one and the full version at 226min long.

Didn't see it.
I'm going to have to respectfully dissent about Dances with Wolves.