Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Blissfully Oblivious
Drive

Touching yet tragic storyline, deep characters played by a talented cast, beautiful cinematography, and uniquely fitting music. Couldn't find a single negative. Absolutely loved it. Kind of makes me feel less for Only God Forgives.

It Follows

While It Follows commits one of the cardinal sins of horror movies by not being that scary (there was one scare that worked real well though) and has some pacing issues in the middle, the areas it does focus on (atmosphere, music, cinematography, characters) worked well and I liked the unique twist they used with the classic slasher theme.

Welcome to the human race...
Kingdom of Heaven -

Must be one hell of a director's cut that is able to redeem a film that is pretty standard for Scott.

I watched Layer Cake last night.

A more than watchable British gangster flick.
Kenneth Cranham and Michael Gambon accompanies Daniel Craig in a fast moving story around the theft of 5 million ecstasy pills.
The soundtrack is also excellent with Sienna Millar looking delishus in black lingerie.
8.5/10

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Layer Cake is a DAMN GOOD film

A Bittersweet Life (KOREAN)
Every single thing was spot on. The cinematography, the dialogue, the acting, the fights and the shoot outs, the pacing - everything. Just a truly excellent film from the very beginning to the very end.

First time seeing this. It was even better than I expected it to be. Go figure. On a sidenote, yes, Jennifer Lawrence did deserve her Oscar, if you want my honest opinion anyway.
This movie was my introduction to Jennifer Lawrence, it was quite the first impression.

King Kong (2005)

Rewatched this again. If only every remake was this good. I don't even care if it is an hour too long, a great update to King Kong. I cannot wait for Skull Island and King Kong vs Godzilla. The monster movie lover inside of me's thirst will be quenched.

I...Comme Icare/ I As In Icarus (1979) - Henri Verneuil

Very businessman like in its making, tense and gripping...the ending is rather obvious but that doesn't spoil anything...

8.5 out of 10

Borgman (2013) - Alex van Warmerdam

This I found very interesting...a rather puzzling experience. Many interpretations are probably possible. I see it mostly as the worst nightmare of the 'Haves' to lose all that they possess...and the film slowly but surely makes that nightmare a reality...

8.5 out of 10

Welcome to the human race...
Empire of the Sun -

Can't decide whether or not the fact that a lot of Spielberg's more serious films tend to be
quality is a good thing or not.

Hoop Dreams (1994)

Very good documentary, but I didn't find it to be as dramatic as I expected. The two boys are pretty good boys, but I kind of thought they were underachievers. I was rooting for them, but I didn't feel that they worked as hard as they could, to be the best that they could be. This prevented me from being completely involved with their characters. Of course, they're dealing with a very tough environment. I remember Cabrini Green from growing up in Chicago. Mayor Jane Byrne spent a night there once back in 1981, and a song came out about it. I remember that it went-Cabrini Green where the mayor sleeps.....It was very funny, but I can't find it anywhere. I found it very interesting seeing the recruitment process play out, and also how the families supported their sons. Those were my two favorite aspects of the movie. It's a little long at just a shade under three hours.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Husbands
-

Haven't seen a film this vile since Hard to be a God.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Drive

Touching yet tragic storyline, deep characters played by a talented cast, beautiful cinematography, and uniquely fitting music. Couldn't find a single negative. Absolutely loved it. Kind of makes me feel less for Only God Forgives.

The Football Factory (2004)

I like crime/thug movies set in England, and this one is about hooligans. It's not one of the best, but it has lively characters, a few recognizable actors I like, colorful language, and a few major brawls. A nice recommendation by HK.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Tropa de Elite a.k.a. Elite Squad (José Padilha, 2007)
(rewatch)

Probably the best movie about brazilian slums.
First, a mention to acting: Wagner Moura as Capt. Nascimento is the true definition of badass, forget any Hollywood actor! I also liked the development of Andre Ramiro's character development.
Overall, this movie has amazing action scenes, great plot and above all a perfect script! I feel lucky I understand Portuguese. The copy of the film I watched has english subtitles and it's so far away from making justice to the amazing dialogues on this film!
The gritty cinematography and camera work gave it an extra realistic look!
Another rewatch to organize my Top 100 and this will certainly be there!

-