Independence Day Resurgence

Tools    

Producer hints at progress for the sequel

The producer of 'Independence Day' has said that he and director Roland Emmerich are actively working on a sequel.

“I can tell you that Roland and I have been working together for the first time in 11 years and we’re every excited about the idea of doing it,” Dean Devlin told Heat Vision.

“Whether or not we can make this happen, if we can get all the pieces to come together, that’s gonna be challenging. But creatively, for the very first time since we did the original, I feel we have a worthy concept, a worthy path to go.”

It was reported last year that Fox was planning to film two sequels to the 1996 blockbuster.

“We resisted doing the sequel for years because we still wanted to honor the first one,” added Devlin.

“The first one gave us all careers, and we really love that movie and loved the experience. We didn’t want to make a movie because it was financially a good idea, we only wanted to do it when we had an idea and a concept that creatively felt like it honored the first one - that it felt like an organic sequel as opposed to ‘let’s just go make some more money.”

It was also rumoured that Will Smith was asking for a fee of $50 million (£32 million) to star in the sequels, and that they also feature roles for his children Jaden and Willow.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/independe...ng-ahead-.html

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Will Smith is taking the pi** there, I love him as an actor but his demands are ridiculous.

Rumours have been going around for a few years now. It says it was last year news appeared of a sequel, I heard about it near 3 years ago.

Not sure how they'll do it though... maybe a return of the alien species looking for revenge for their fallen relatives.

What makes me wonder is, if Will Smith is making it a family affair... will the original actors get a look in? Especially Vivica A Fox and Ross Bagley.
Or will they be written out because Smith wants it to be an engine for his family's career?

I also forgot to mention what a sickening, obscene amount of money Smith is looking to get paid. That's completely unreal.

I love a good post apocalyptic film and I think ID2 would offer the opportunity to make a great film in the genre. Rather than bring back the Aliens (which would be silly IMO) they could create an epic 'rebuilding society' type film with struggles between emerging groups. Perhaps a modern Mad Max.

Well if those rumours are true, then I have to assume that Will Smith is broke/bankrupt or something. This guy should have well over £200 million in his savings account, asking for that amount of money means theres more to it. Either that or he's just a greedy fooker.

I remember liking the first film, but I haven't seen that since I was like 12, so not sure how it would hold up today. Not at all thrilled about the possibility of sequel.

I love a good post apocalyptic film and I think ID2 would offer the opportunity to make a great film in the genre. Rather than bring back the Aliens (which would be silly IMO) they could create an epic 'rebuilding society' type film with struggles between emerging groups. Perhaps a modern Mad Max.
So an Independence Day sequel totally without the aliens?

God, no. I want those big spaceships back. Just talking about this film makes me wanna go watch it.

When I first saw that movie in 1996, I came out thinking it was the BEST movie I had ever seen. I used to be really into alien stuff and that movie was so exciting. But I feel that a sequel could not capture the spirit and fun of the first film, although I'd like to see them try. The fun part of the original was all of the stuff in the beginning -- the aliens showing up, everyone freaking out, everyone finding out that there was life on other planets -- and then -- KABOOM!

There was some unfortunate silly stuff -- Will Smith was largely the problem with that, I think. I would rather skip him completely for the sequel and maybe bring back just Jeff Goldblum, who was far more entertaining.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
As long as they find a way to incorporate the great Will Smith quote 'Welcome to Earf' again i'm happy. I'd like them to bring Bill Pullman back though...He needs a comeback...

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Him and Jeff Goldblum... One of my favourite actors, man. I was hoping the recent Morning Glory film would give him a role to showcase his cool acting style, but instead he was sidelined for Harrison Ford's deadpan performance.

No need, there is a new Mad Max film coming out.
Really! Wow, I need to do some catch up on what is coming out. Had no idea,
Thanks for the heads up

So an Independence Day sequel totally without the aliens?

God, no. I want those big spaceships back. Just talking about this film makes me wanna go watch it.
I guess I am just not a big fan of Aliens in movies. Maybe a few could have survived underground and are now rising up, with all new giant space ships of course!

Really! Wow, I need to do some catch up on what is coming out. Had no idea, Thanks for the heads up
Yeah, the actor Tom Hardy is playing the lead this time around.

Yea, just checked it out. They started filming this year so I am guessing a release date of 2013. Looks good.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Fair play to Smith asking for such a huge fee, the worst anyone could do is say no, and if they don't then Kerching!

I'm not really fussed on this though, I was never that big a fan of the first film. The first 45 minutes are terrific stuff with funny, likeable and interesting characters, and a ticking count down and sense of urgency that The Dark Knight Rises could only dream of matching (and doesn't...), but after the 'SPLOSIONS it's all quite dull. The best bit came too early... (fnar).

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Fair play to Smith asking for such a huge fee, the worst anyone could do is say no, and if they don't then Kerching!

I'm not really fussed on this though, I was never that big a fan of the first film. The first 45 minutes are terrific stuff with funny, likeable and interesting characters, and a ticking count down and sense of urgency that The Dark Knight Rises could only dream of matching (and doesn't...), but after the 'SPLOSIONS it's all quite dull. The best bit came too early... (fnar).
I love the first movie, but everything you just wrote is true. The beginning was fantastic, but the best came to early.

I also forgot to mention what a sickening, obscene amount of money Smith is looking to get paid. That's completely unreal.
And it won't happen. Will Smith just isn't as culturally relevant as he was when the film was made. They could easily grab a better actor for less than 50 freaking mil.

Will brings in the money, however it's a lot money! A lot!