What do people think of the IMDB successor boards?

Tools    

Are they any good?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'm confused. What movie is this about, OP?

Someone naming a free forum something that closely resembles IMDB and styling them in a close style does not make them a successor board it just makes them a copycat board imho and just reaks of a lack of originality to me. Given that most have had to have the site pointed out to them indicates to me that no one knows so would not the best thing to do if you are interested in them is actually visit them?

How exactly do I get there from IMDB site? What is the path?
Follow the yellow brick road, my friend.

How exactly do I get there from IMDB site? What is the path?
There is no path, IMDB deleted it's own boards and the thing is brand new.

Someone naming a free forum something that closely resembles IMDB and styling them in a close style does not make them a successor board it just makes them a copycat board imho and just reaks of a lack of originality to me. Given that most have had to have the site pointed out to them indicates to me that no one knows so would not the best thing to do if you are interested in them is actually visit them?
It's a good marketing decision, if the random people in this thread knew about it or not is irrelevant.

There is no path, IMDB deleted it's own boards and the thing is brand new.

It's a good marketing decision, if the random people in this thread knew about it or not is irrelevant.
Frankly, I'm not even sure about that. Sure, many people are going to be attracted by a wannabe IMDB heir which ressembles the original only in name and skin - if only because of the sheer size of the original community.

But for one thing, to administer a forum requires more than a cynical will to be successful. And for another thing, a good marketing decision needs to take much more into account. For example, what was the strength of IMDB, and what need was it catering to ? And how do you attract the same community ?

Ultimately, if your forum fails to answer those questions, and even if it is otherwise successful, it will never - ever - be a successor to the late IMDB board.

Really so how many of the millions of users did this marketing actually attract to these forums? Given that in your OP you had to ask how that forum was I guess you do not use it yourself so it does not seem to be attracting that many people does it?

When a company that was making serious revenue from its forums decides that they are so toxic that it decides to shut them down and sacrifice that money then you know something was seriously wrong. Perhaps the IMDBv2 can rectify those issues I am guessing by having not even a shadow of the real IMDB forums will help greatly with this but me personally I do not see an average user going to IMDB and then being attracted to a seperate forum just because it copied the original forums name. Still perhaps I am wrong and you will tell me that the forum has millions of users.

That one that popped up out of nowhere after the closing announcement was made by the mysterious person who "Never had an account, just read the forums"?

Waaaaaay too suspect to trust with even faked login info.

So Mr. Mystery was never an active member of the community, yet feels some great need to "save" it?

More like they're a notorious troll and found a great way to collect tons of personal info on people. the fact that every post he makes is littered with excuses why he wants all that info is a field of red flags. Especially when he's mentioned doxing a dozen times woven into his excuses.

First off, NO forums ran by someone that was a member (Or casual reader..lol) of IMDb would be worth it as all that place was consisted of sides and fighting.

So out of the gate the mods have not only a hitlist, but access to a lot of behind the scenes info on people.

That one that popped up out of nowhere after the closing announcement was made by the mysterious person who "Never had an account, just read the forums"?

Waaaaaay too suspect to trust with even faked login info.

So Mr. Mystery was never an active member of the community, yet feels some great need to "save" it?

More like they're a notorious troll and found a great way to collect tons of personal info on people. the fact that every post he makes is littered with excuses why he wants all that info is a field of red flags. Especially when he's mentioned doxing a dozen times woven into his excuses.

First off, NO forums ran by someone that was a member (Or casual reader..lol) of IMDb would be worth it as all that place was consisted of sides and fighting.

So out of the gate the mods have not only a hitlist, but access to a lot of behind the scenes info on people.
They asked about 0 personal info when i signed up. Where does he talk about wanting info?

Really so how many of the millions of users did this marketing actually attract to these forums? Given that in your OP you had to ask how that forum was I guess you do not use it yourself so it does not seem to be attracting that many people does it?

When a company that was making serious revenue from its forums decides that they are so toxic that it decides to shut them down and sacrifice that money then you know something was seriously wrong. Perhaps the IMDBv2 can rectify those issues I am guessing by having not even a shadow of the real IMDB forums will help greatly with this but me personally I do not see an average user going to IMDB and then being attracted to a seperate forum just because it copied the original forums name. Still perhaps I am wrong and you will tell me that the forum has millions of users.
I seen forums play bs games over ideological differences a zillion times.

Frankly, I'm not even sure about that. Sure, many people are going to be attracted by a wannabe IMDB heir which ressembles the original only in name and skin - if only because of the sheer size of the original community.

But for one thing, to administer a forum requires more than a cynical will to be successful. And for another thing, a good marketing decision needs to take much more into account. For example, what was the strength of IMDB, and what need was it catering to ? And how do you attract the same community ?

Ultimately, if your forum fails to answer those questions, and even if it is otherwise successful, it will never - ever - be a successor to the late IMDB board.
I am just happy to see a successful forum.

Sunomis has already said what needs to be said about the current 'successor' boards out there. This place is head and shoulders - an understatement - above all the IMDb copycats.

Sunomis has already said what needs to be said about the current 'successor' boards out there. This place is head and shoulders - an understatement - above all the IMDb copycats.
Why?

Piss poor. They're all cloning the boards I never even visited. What people like me miss from the imdb boards is the individual message boards for actors, films, series, directors. THAT was something. The imdb general boards was always a cesspool of suck.

They asked about 0 personal info when i signed up. Where does he talk about wanting info?.
They dont have to ask you anything to get your info. If you're enjoying a copycat board run by people who suddenly just put their hands up to be admin, enjoy.

Alternates where I spend the most time reading and posting:

1. Reddit, IMDbFilmGeneral
2. iCheckMovies forums
3. Reddit, TrueFilm
4. IMDb2 forums
5. Criterion Forums
6. Movie Awards Redux freeforums
7. TCM Forums
8. Movie Forums (here)
9. IMDForums
10. moviechat.org
11. 8ch Film Catalog