New Members Guide To Games and Group Activities

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
This is an idea Citizen Rules and I came up with so that new members can have an understanding of some of the games and activities and not have to feel lost.

There are tons of things always going on here and people just joining might feel overwhelmed or not inclined to play along due to lack of understanding. This can be both a place for new members to acquaint themselves with various Movie Forums activities and for senior members to have a place to refer anyone with questions to.

These are guidelines and not specific rules. Anyone running a game will have their own rules but this will give everyone an idea of what the heck is going on.

Feel free to ask questions in here too. That's what its for.

Note: this is a work in progress, so as things get written we will post them. Feel free to ask for things you want explained.

Hall Of Fame

A Hall of Fame is an ongoing process where a group of people each nominate one movie to be viewed and discussed by the group. Once everyone signs up for a HoF (they will sign up in the thread) they send me a nomination by messaging me. This should include the name of the movie, the director and year with a short explanation of why they think it should be inducted into the HoF.

Then a time will be assigned to watch all the movies. This is generally one week per movie. So if 12 people join, the session will last 12 weeks as there will be 12 movies to watch.

Everyone is required to watch all the movies. If a movie has been nominated that you have seen several times you may excuse yourself from watching that particular movie. The guideline I go by is; if you can clearly remember the details of the movie and have an in-depth conversation about it, then it's up to you whether or not to rewatch it.

There is no required order to watching the movies. As you watch a movie the next step is to tab it in the thread and give some initial thoughts on the film. Often there will be conversation back and forth as people agree and disagree about a particular movie. This is encouraged.

After you watch all movies and feel you have discussed each one as much as you have needed to you rank the movies in order from most deserving to be inducted into the HoF to least deserving. After I have received all the lists I add the scores together. If there are 12 movies the top movie receives a score of 12, the next movie 11, all the way down until the final movie receives a score of 1. It would be the same for eight total movies or any other numerical value. The top rated movie always receives the score of the total number of movies.

The movie with the most points gets inducted to this thread: MoFo Movie Hall of Fame

Each individual is allowed to come up with their own criteria for ranking movies but these are some things to take into consideration. Acting, directing, story, influence on other films or media, personal impact, if the movie is a stand-out in its genre or adds anything new to it, uniqueness of the film in general.

If a film that you nominated gets inducted you should prepare to do a personal review of the film for the induction.

Once the process is complete it starts all over again. People may join in as many or as few as they want. New members are encouraged to join. Also people not officially part of the HoF committee for that particular round are still welcome to comment on and discuss the films.

From time to time specific HoF will be run. These are for specific films that may be otherwise overlooked or ineligible for the standard HoF. So far there have been two short films, but in the future there will be a documentary HoF, miniseries HoF, animation HoF and possibly a musical HoF. (Note, musicals, documentaries and animated movies are all eligible for standard HoF.)

Album HoF

This is ran by Jiraffejustin and is similar to the movie one except that albums are nominated. The process is the same as the other one.

Tournaments

A MovieForums tournament is a game played by creating a tournament thread for a category such as: movies, TV characters, songs, etc. It's created by anyone wishing to run a tournament, that person sets the guidelines and they are called the Tournament Master. Any specific rules will be noted in the first post of the tournament thread.

Tournaments usually have a pairing of two nominations in a post. Those playing will vote by bolding which ever of the two choice they like better in a post that they make. An example would be: Sound of Music vs Godfather.

Brackets are groupings of nominations, usually of eight or more pairs. For those types of tournaments to work, the number of nominations need to be able to be divide into groups of eight. A tournament could start with 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 nominations, etc. As long as they are dividable by the number 8.

Tournaments usually have nominating done in rounds. A round is where each person nominates one or two of their favorite choices. A certain amount of time is given for everyone to vote. The winner of each nominated pair then move on to the next round. Each round of voting eliminates half of the nominations. The rounds continue until only one nomination is left standing, which is then declared the winner.

Movie Tournaments: The amount of time to vote before new bracket nominations are put up will usually be between two weeks to a month. This gives people a chance to watch any movies they haven't seen. The voter must have seen both movies to be able to vote in a pairing. If they haven't seen both movies in the pairing they need to skip voting in that specific match up.

Song Tournaments: Links will be provided for the nominated songs from sites like YouTube or Grooveshark. Each person participating in the tournament needs to listen to both songs and then vote for their favorite. Usually voting lasts twenty four hours before moving on to the next set of brackets.

TV Character Tournaments: Are when two TV character nominations are paired against each other and you vote for your favorite character. Since it's time consuming to familiarize yourself with a TV show, the rules for voting in this type of tournament may be more relaxed. Voting usually lasts 24 hours before new matches are set up.[/font]

Signing Up. A person signs up to participate when a new tournament is announced by either: private messaging the Tournament Master or making a post saying they intend to play.

Assigned Nominations Tournaments. After everyone that wants to play signs up, the Tournament Master will divide the total amount of nominations evenly between all players. The players then post their nominations in the thread as per the individual instruction of the tournament.
This style is usually on a first come first serve basis, so anyone posting after others have nominated must make sure they don't have any duplicates and edit their post if they do.

General Guidelines. The information provided here is just a general guideline. Anyone that runs a tournament can change the rules as needed. Tournaments are easy to play and if you have questions the Tournament Master can answer them.

Voting Depending on who is running a tournament, usually people who did not nominate are still allowed and encouraged to vote, but must vote consistently from Round 2 on to be able to vote in the final rounds. This is to ensure that people voting have a vested interest in the outcome and aren't voting as a favor to a friend.

Box Office Challenge

This is a game ran by Seanc. It is an ongoing game that starts and ends at a specific time, according to when movies are released.

Each player signs up in the thread. Seanc will list the movies to be included in the challenge and each player picks the five movies that they think will make the highest amount of money over double the movie's budget. So if a movie had a budget of $20.000 and made a total of $60.000 at the box office its total would be $20.000.

Seanc keeps track of all the movies budgets and earnings and it is not necessary for the player to do so.

Each player will also pick one movie bomb to give to another player. This should be a movie that you feel will hurt the combined total of the players movies. A movie with a high budget that will not do well at the box office would be ideal. A player only gets one bomb, so you need to bomb someone that hasn't been bombed yet.

You may pick the same movies as other players and bomb with a movie that has already been used.
It is possible for your bomb to help the other person. Choose carefully.

Once the last movie to be released has ended its run, the person with the highest combined total from all movies win the game.

Movie Watching Challenges

This is a simple straightforward game. Whoever runs the challenge picks a type,category or genre of movie. Whoever wishes to participate will watch as many movies as they can that fall within the challenge guideline.

You can watch the movies of your choosing as long as they meet the requirements of the person running the challenge. After you watch a movie, list it in the thread along with a brief synopsis of it to receive credit.

Whoever watches the most movies wins.

Note: In some cases foreign movies may count as double. In that case, an English language movie will be worth one point and a non-English speaking movie will be worth two. The person with the most points would then win.

Group Top 100 Movie Lists

One person will volunteer to run a list and pick a category. This may be determined by decade, genre, type or whatever is determined by the group or the person running it.

Each person that wants to participate will send in a list of twenty-five of their favorite movies that fall under that category. They should always send it in a private message to the person running the list as it is a standard rule not to publicly reveal your list until the countdown is over.

Then the person running the list will calculate the points from each person's list using a spreadsheet. The top movie on the list will receive 25 points with the next movie receiving one less point all the way down until the last movie receives one point.

The movie with the most combined points from the individual lists will be the number one movie with the next movie with the most combined points becoming number two all the way down until a top 100 is formed.

The movies will be revealed in reverse order. Usually two movies a day will be revealed until the top ten, then one movie a day is usually revealed.

Generally, there will be a rule that you must have been a member one month before submitting a list. This is so that people who join for one week and do not come back don't end up influencing a list and we never hear from them again. If you join and miss one, don't worry, we have many more planned.

Sometimes lists will not be movie based. There is an album one currently in progress and talks of a possible favorite book list.

Someone running a list will have their own individual rules, so make sure you always read the first post of each list and follow the instructions.

Master of My Domain
B.. bu... but I was planning to release something similar to this this week!

Anyways nice thread, I'm sure I would have screwed up mine.

B.. bu... but I was planning to release something similar to this this week!

Anyways nice thread, I'm sure I would have screwed up mine.
Well, it's not done so you can certainly help me with it. There are a few more things I know I need to put here like the MoFies and the best of by year thing that is going on. I'm up for suggestions as to what else would be helpful to put on here.

Thanks for making it a sticky, Yoda.

Best Movie of the Year

This is a voting process to find out what MoFo members come up with as their best movie of that year. It was created by Jiraffejustin, but is now being ran by other members. This started with the Best Movie of 1960 and is progressing year by year. The BMY (Best Movie of the Year) gives an incentive for MoFo members to watch movies from the specific year that's being voted on. Anyone can join.

The person running the Best Movie of the Year will give a certain amount of time for watching movies from the year being voted on. Whoever wishes to participate will send a list of up to ten movies by private message to the person running that year. IMBD is being used as the official site for movie date releases. The movies should be ranked in order from: 1 being the most favorite, on down to 10.

The person in charge will then score the movies. The top ten scoring movies from all lists that are submitted will then be revealed.

More time is then allotted to allow everyone to watch any movies from the top ten that they haven't seen. It is not required to watch them, but encouraged to watch all ten.

Out of the top ten, you then list your top five ranking them in order of favorite to least favorite. If you haven't seen five movies out of the top ten you will just include the movies you have seen. This will also be sent by private message to the person in charge before the deadline.

They will again score the movies and the top scoring movie wins the best of the year.

A system of cells interlinked
You are something else, Godoggo! Great work!