Best Picture Oscar 2019

Tools    

Which gets your vote for Best Picture of the year?
4.65%
2 votes
BLACK PANTHER
6.98%
3 votes
BLACKkKLANSMAN
4.65%
2 votes
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
25.58%
11 votes
THE FAVOURITE
13.95%
6 votes
GREEN BOOK
25.58%
11 votes
ROMA
18.60%
8 votes
A STAR IS BORN
0%
0 votes
VICE
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Welcome to the human race...
Not when one of them is Bohemian Rhapsody. I'll concede that one to the "Academy nominates librul movies instead of good movies" crowd.

I would like to hear some thoughts on what people would like to have seen nominated.

For me Old Man And The Gun was my favorite of the year so I would love to have seen it here. My Chazelle crush continues with First Man as well. Both these got pretty lukewarm receptions so I wasn't expecting them to pop up. Annihilation would be a other choice for me but that was probably too strange from the word go to crack this group.

I would like to hear some thoughts on what people would like to have seen nominated.
First Reformed, Eighth Grade

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

First Reformed, Eighth Grade
Liked both of those a good bit. I thought First Reformed would get more love honestly. Surprised Hawke didn't get nominated.

BTW, I will mention it here since we don't have a doc thread. I was shocked Won't You Be My Neighbor didn't get a nom. That movie destroyed me.

BlackKklansman
Blindspotting
Cold War
Eighth Grade
Green Book
Hereditary
The Favorite
Roma
A Star is Born
Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Hearts Beat Loud
Leave No Trace
Eighth Grade
First Man
The Sisters Brothers
First Reformed

I like all of them a lot. All Best Picture nomination worthy in my book, anyway.

Also liked Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Isle of Dogs, Private Life, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and Sorry to Bother You. Of the actual nominees, The Favourite, A Star is Born, and Roma are all excellent choices and among my favorites of the year, too.

*I have not yet seen If Beale Street Could Talk, The Rider, Shoplifters, Stan & Ollie, Let the Sunshine In, Blindspotting, or Paddington 2.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

@Holden Pike I need to see Hearts Best Loud. Hadn't even heard of it till a week ago. On Hulu so I will check it out. Sisters Brothers and First Man are in my top ten as well. Leave No Trace gave me nothing and I was so looking forward to it because of both Winter's Bone and word of mouth.

@Siddon I also loved Won't You Be My Neighbor, think I had it #3 in my top ten. You have 5 of the nominated films in your ten. You should be loving the noms this year. Hereditary was fine for me but horror usually isn't in my top tier stuff.

I want Black Panther to win, I think Bohemian Rhapsody should win, but I think The Favorite has the highest chance of winning.

@Siddon I also loved Won't You Be My Neighbor, think I had it #3 in my top ten. You have 5 of the nominated films in your ten. You should be loving the noms this year. Hereditary was fine for me but horror usually isn't in my top tier stuff.

Haven't seen several of them yet (Roma, Green Book, Cold War) but from what I've seen they "deserve" BP nominations

I watched Beautiful Boy last night. Great movie with captivating performances by Steve Carrell, Timothee Chalamet, and Maura Tierney. How the movie did not get a single nomination, let alone a Best Picture nod, is beyond me.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Because it's not that good. I gave it a
and even then I think I was being generous.
I disagree. I gave it a

It's a character actor's movie. The actors deliver and strongly so.

For me, it's a matter of it not really doing anything too special as either a vehicle for its actors or as an actual film. It's weird how Chalamet is the one getting a bunch of nominations when Carell's the one I remember.

Does it help that it's named after a John Lennon song?

I thought Beautiful Boy was fine. I did love Chalamet in it. Does seem like the type of thing that would get some recognition. I think the critic wave probably wasn't strong enough either way to shine enough light on it.

Does it help that it's named after a John Lennon song?
Despite the movie being named after it, Mr. Holland's Opus will always be the movie I think of when I hear the song. That movie destroys me emotionally.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I watched Beautiful Boy last night. Great movie with captivating performances by Steve Carrell, Timothee Chalamet, and Maura Tierney. How the movie did not get a single nomination, let alone a Best Picture nod, is beyond me.
I completely agree. Best movie this year.

Seeing as Holden reminded me of it earlier, I'm going to say that Hearts Beat Loud is the superior "Hollywood indie about a music-loving father and his child" film.