I Walk Through The Valley: The PTA Fan Club

Tools    

So who is up for some PTA viewing leading up to his new film. Planning on doing one a month for the rest of the year. I want to watch them all so definitely up for whatever schedule people will join me with. If I haven't heard from anyone by Friday I will go ahead and get something rolling,

I'm in

Are we going to be doing them in chronological order or what?

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

So who is up for some PTA viewing leading up to his new film. Planning on doing one a month for the rest of the year. I want to watch them all so definitely up for whatever schedule people will join me with. If I haven't heard from anyone by Friday I will go ahead and get something rolling,
I'll definitely do Boogie Nights and Inherent Vice. Will try to join in with the others too.

Well @Camo mentioned Boogie Night. You guys want to start there?
Go chronological i'd say, makes more sense. Was just saying i'm going to make sure not to miss either of those as i need to see them again. Have only seen Boogie Nights once when i was 16.

If I had to pick my faves of PTA, they'd be;

1)Magnolia
2)Boogie Nights
3)Sydney
4)Punch Drunk Love
5)There Will Be Blood
6)The Master
7)Inherent Vice

When PTA first started up I was excited because here was an American director breaking ground like Tarantino and Anderson had or would. Once he hit his complete brooding and alienation mark around the time of There Will Be Blood, I started to lose interest, and was completely repelled by his last two films, figuring them as just unnecessary stress. To me, PTA used to have something to say. What he says these days I just can't force myself to care about. I feel betrayed. It's almost as if a lot of his fans now frown at his early ambitions and instead prefer his dull and pretentious work. I call it pretentious, time will tell if I change my tune or taste, but I very much doubt I will.

We can definitely go in order and do them all. If you guys are the only two who weigh in we will do that. I admit I was hoping to skip Hard Eight because it is the only one without a Blu-ray release so I don't own it. I can hunt it down to watch though. I like it more than most.

If I had to pick my faves of PTA, they'd be;

1)Magnolia
2)Boogie Nights
3)Sydney
4)Punch Drunk Love
5)There Will Be Blood
6)The Master
7)Inherent Vice

When PTA first started up I was excited because here was an American director breaking ground like Tarantino and Anderson had or would. Once he hit his complete brooding and alienation mark around the time of There Will Be Blood, I started to lose interest, and was completely repelled by his last two films, figuring them as just unnecessary stress. To me, PTA used to have something to say. What he says these days I just can't force myself to care about. I feel betrayed. It's almost as if a lot of his fans now frown at his early ambitions and instead prefer his dull and pretentious work. I call it pretentious, time will tell if I change my tune or taste, but I very much doubt I will.
I don't think I fall into this category. I could probably pick Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, The Master, or Punch Drunk Love as my favorite on any given day. Boogie Nights is also one of my all time favorite movies and I think probably his funniest. Hard Eight is a
and Inherent Vice is a
. I love the man.

01.There Will Be Blood
02.The Master (could be #1)
03.Punch Drunk Love
04.Magnolia
05.Inherent Vice (need to see again)
06.Boogie Nights (need to see again)
07.Hard Eight
08.Junun

I don't think I fall into this category. I could probably pick Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, The Master, or Punch Drunk Love as my favorite on any given day. Boogie Nights is also one of my all time favorite movies and I think probably his funniest. Hard Eight is a
and Inherent Vice is a
. I love the man.
I probably came off a bit ratty, sorry if I did. I'm a former fan of his work, I suppose. I just cannot relate to The Master or IV. At all. TWBB took me a couple viewings to appreciate it, which I did.

I probably came off a bit ratty, sorry if I did. I'm a former fan of his work, I suppose. I just cannot relate to The Master or IV. At all. TWBB took me a couple viewings to appreciate it, which I did.
Have you seen Junun, Joel?

Probably won't see it again but i did quite enjoy it. Would be interested in PTA doing a longer documentary about something he cares about.

No you didn't and I am sorry if I acted like I took your post personally. Just responding. Bummer you don't like The Master more. Have you given it more than one shot?

1. The Master -

2. Boogie Nights -

3. There Will Be Blood -

4. Punch Drunk Love -

5. Magnolia -
(very strong chance that this could go up on rewatch)
6. Hard Eight -

7. Inherent Vice -

Have you seen Junun, Joel?

Probably won't see it again but i did quite enjoy it. Would be interested in PTA doing a longer documentary about something he cares about.
I literally just saw a tiny bit of info about it on the net. Not gonna lie, doesn't seem up my alley, and I'm a musician. I'm in a foul mood right now so lol...I'm open to changing my attitude later

No you didn't and I am sorry if I acted like I took your post personally. Just responding. Bummer you don't like The Master more. Have you given it more than one shot?
I have, yes. I saw it at theaters, and then again on dvd at home. The 2nd time I was at least able to enjoy Hoffman's incredible performance, but that was Hoffman for me. I did notice the amazing cienmatography and aspect and 65mm goodness all on display, sadly I just can't get down with the movie-itself. It just seemed like a broken record to me. Reminded me of the film Ghost World where Enid's art teacher shows the class her art film..."mirror, father...mirror, father...mirror, father..."