Official "Weird Al" Yankovic Thread

Tools    

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier
As a child I grew up listening to his frisky, polka-fied, food related songs and I still listen to him this day. His aging saddens me though, seeing him with a grey mustache makes me well..sad. Also, UHF has got to be my favorite comedy and I'm so tempted to try the hotdog Twinkie. Any Weird Alcoholics here?

The Adventure Starts Here!
A gray mustache? Last time I saw him, he didn't HAVE a mustache, or his glasses (since he had laser surgery). Check again, my buddy!

I'm probably the biggest Weird Al fan here. Been a fan since 1978, before Al had a recording contract ... back when he was sending cassette tapes to Dr. Demento, who would play them on his radio show. I've seen him perform live over half a dozen times, the first time being 17 years ago this past Thursday, when I took a then-10-year-old Yoda (our site owner and admin, also my son) along to see him perform in Cleveland.

Loving the new album, of course. Have UHF and his videos and also the DVD of the defunct Weird Al TV show from way back when.

He's not "aging" yet, BTW. He's only going to be 52 in October and he has a wife and young daughter and is in better shape than most 30-year-olds.

So, yes, I'm a Close Personal Friend of Al....

Semper Fooey
I used to hear those tapes on Doc Demento also. I am not a fan. I preferred:

Shaving cream
Stay nice and clean
Shave everyday
And you'll always look keen

So much for the "Official 'Weird Al' Yankovic Thread" then.... We've already got non-fans posting in here what they like better. Must be a new record.

Welcome to the human race...
Colour me a fan of sorts, though I'm not as into his stuff as I used to be. I still haven't picked up Alpocalypse, for instance.

I still think it's pretty stunning that he's managed to make a career out of this.

Anyway, my views of Yankovic are always going to be colored, because, well, Aus is my mom and therefore I grew up knowing the words to almost every single song he had ever made. Often times I heard his parodies before I heard the originals, and the originals sound "wrong" to me, and my head keeps wanting to sing the parody lyrics instead.

Sorry about coloring your views, Yoda. I have the same problem -- when I hear originals now, I end up singing the wrong words.

But hey, you even got to meet Al and got to sit in the same car with his keyboardist. So, there's that.

As for making a career out of it, between him and the RiffTrax/MST3K guys, I swear my friends and I missed a few huge opportunities to become millionaires.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I love Weird Al, I've been a fan since I first saw the Eat It video on MTV, and then forced my poor parents to listen to In 3-D countless times on car trips to my Nan's house in Boston. I'm loving his new stuff too, it's like he never gets old or runs out of clever ideas. His last two have been amazing. I may get to see him in Boston in October. possibly.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

MP, have you ever seen him perform live before? It's a total treat. Multimedia craziness and many costumes ... and yet, it's also just a good show musically too. His entire band is awesome. GO if you can, and buy the best seats you can!

He actually is not that bad looking for his age.

He looks better here than he does...

here. I suppose. I'm not attracted to the hair or his general attitude and you can tell he's aging in the face and has gray hair that he dyes, but he has aged well.

I like Weird Al, but I dunno if I looooooooove Weird Al. I did love him when I was a child, though. I also saw him in concert in 2007. I have only seen him once. I had good seats - saw everything pretty well. But when I was a kid, I loved UHF (I haven't seen it as an adult, but I used to watch it all the time.) I remember ordering it off Pay-Per-View and taping it. And I can even remember getting the Even Worse cassette when it first came out. But I only really liked the songs that were based on real songs that I knew and nothing else. This limited my interest with his music. Today, I'm not crazy about his parodies.

Aww, SC, but some of his newer parodies are just amazing. "White and Nerdy" is brilliant (the video is hilarious), and the newest one, "Perform This Way" is far more entertaining than the original....

Still, some of my favorite Al songs are his originals, especially the semi-creepy fake love songs.

I'm not sure he dyes his hair, BTW. I know he's never permed it -- that's natural curl. And I do know he eats right (last I heard he's a vegan, but that might have changed now that he has a wife and daughter) and exercises a lot. I definitely think he looks better without the glasses and 'stache and that the longer hair with a part is better than the semi-'fro thing he had going for so long.

Honestly, "Party in the CIA" doesn't do it for you? LOL

I just found out he did a parody of "Hot in Here" by Nelly called "Trash Day"..his rapping skills are pretty good I have to admit.

"White and Nerdy" is brilliant (the video is hilarious), and the newest one, "Perform This Way" is far more entertaining than the original....
I've heard them. White and Nerdy is one of his best in awhile, but then again, I like the sound of it because I like the song Ridin'. I saw him sing it in the concert (although, sadly, none of my memories of that concert are vivid, except maybe for seeing him in the Fat costume.)

Originally Posted by Austruck
I'm not sure he dyes his hair, BTW.
I wasn't too sure, but I'm guessing because it looks gray at the roots, like when it starts coming in after it's been dyed.

I definitely think he looks better without the glasses and 'stache and that the longer hair with a part is better than the semi-'fro thing he had going for so long.
He makes the no-glasses thing work after years of wearing them. I'm glad they're gone although I do wonder what kind of glasses he would choose to wear these days. Probably some small, trendy, rectangular pair that would make him look like everyone else.

Honestly, "Party in the CIA" doesn't do it for you? LOL
Nope.

&ob=av2e

&ob=av2e

Wow, those are all old ones. Love 'em all, but I like his new stuff a lot. I'm always thrilled when a new album comes out and I still enjoy 'em as much as I did the first ones way back when.

It's a ton of fun in concert to sway back and forth with the whole audience during both "Yoda" (which is usually the encore) and "Amish Paradise." ... Now I wish I'd made a point to get to a concert this summer....

I would like to note how much I envy Al, being able to work with Dweezil Zappa (Frank Zappa's son) must have been awesome. He made a song in the style-parody of Frank though I can't remember the name.

So my friends and I are going to perform one of his songs at the talent show for school but we just can't decide which song to sing. We might sing "Perform This Way" dressed in crazy costumes, "Party in the CIA" with suits and ties, or "Ebay" dressed in all white like the Backstreet Boys..choices, choices.