Best Supporting Actor 2019

Tools    

Your choice for Oscar's Best Supporting Actor?
57.89%
11 votes
Mahershala Ali, GREEN BOOK
5.26%
1 votes
Adam Driver, BLACKkKLANSMAN
26.32%
5 votes
Sam Elliott, A STAR IS BORN
10.53%
2 votes
Richard E. Grant, CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?
0%
0 votes
Sam Rockwell, VICE
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I reject the supposition.

But for your dumbass bullsh!t formula, I guess you haven't seen Green Book, because Ali's character is gay as well as black.

I was going to spend time detailing the relatively low number of performances of color or where the character is gay that have actually won, but why counter such an "argument" with facts?
You make an excellent point, potty mouth! That Don Shirley was briefly portrayed as gay is another favorable point in the film's PC cred. Maybe Ali has a chance yet..

I put up a review of Green Book two weeks ago. But based on your puerile response to my above post, I don't think you'd better read it.

Ali's performance was the best we got this year in the supporting actor. Refined and mature. And his portrayal had an air of grace that a pianist should have. Grant did a fine job, but just falls short of Ali's. Maybe they could give it to Grant, considering Ali might have plenty of years ahead of him to win more, but Grant is old. Although I don't think it should be awarded with such factors in mind..

Let's suppose for a minute --purely hypothetically of course-- based upon the past several year's awards, that there are two important considerations for winning an Oscar either for best picture or an acting category: excellence in work, and representation of current fashionable Hollywood PC causes (blacks, homosexuals, women).

With those criteria in mind, both A Star is Born and Vice would be out. Each is about white people. Everyone hates Dick Cheney, so that's easy. Sorry, Rockwell. And although Bradley Cooper kills himself in "Star", which is certainly admirable PC, Elliot's chances are likely nil.

That leaves us with two "blacks" and one "homosexual & women". Blackkklansman is obviously a candidate because it sticks it to the KKK, and Spike Lee is destined for Mt. Rushmore; but Adam Driver is a white dude, so-- not this year, Adam.

Therefore it's probably going to be down to M. Ali (Green Book) and Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?). Based on the hypothetical criteria, I'd suggest that Grant will be your winner.

Here's my reasoning: even though Green Book has plenty of PC gratification (black entertainer braves the Jim Crow South; it's cool to have a white guy chauffeur a black guy), the movie-going public may be a little weary of the constant barrage of racist themed films over the years. Ali has recently won an Oscar, and some may feel his performance in "Book" was uneven.

On the other hand, it's only been in the last few years that we've had homosexuality portrayed to such a high degree in films, so there's certainly plenty of room left for more! And portraying a gay who in real life died of AIDS is another point in its favor. Grant turned in a superb performance. That he is a journeyman actor with no prior nominations is also in his favor.

Top that all off with the story being about a lesbian leaning Jewish woman, directed by a woman, and we have the obvious PC choice. Congratulations, Richard E. Grant!
Yup, I completely agree with you. This is what Hollywood is all about. PC gratification. Movies about the struggles of blacks, gays, and now Hispanics and Women will always be front-runners for award recognition. That's not to mention the longstanding tradition of handing out award nominations and awards to movies about the Jews' struggles.

I don't know why some people get offended by this truth that is clear as day.

Rami Malek played Freddie Mercury, a legendary rock star who was gay, and he is now the front-runner to win. Mahershala Ali played a black gay pianist and he is a lock to win. Those are just two examples from this year.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I was slow to get on board the Adam Driver train, but I enthusiastically got ALL the way on in 2016 with his work in Jeff Nichols' Midnight Special, Marty Scorsese's Silence, and Jim Jarmusch's Paterson. Now I get excited when I hear he has joined a cast, any cast, including for Spike Lee here in BlacKkKlansman. As the Jewish cop in early 1970's Colorado infiltrating the KKK with and for his African American co-worker he broke through for his first Oscar nomination. He won't win but he will almost surely be back.

Unlike Driver, Sam Rockwell has been a favorite of mine for years, since Box of Moonlight and Lawn Dogs - right out of the gate. As a fan it was so gratifying watching him not only get his long overdue first Oscar nomination last year for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri but to win in this very category. Here he is back again already, this time portraying George W. Bush in Adam McKay's Vice, one of three acting nominations the film received. He does an excellent job catching some of the W. mannerisms and he is always magnetic on screen, but he isn't in the movie a whole lot. I hope Rockwell rings up multiple nominations regularly now, but he won't win this year.

Richard E. Grant is another favorite, so excellent in Bruce Robinson's Withnail & I and How to Get Ahead in Advertising to begin his long career. He doesn't get the starring role every often but he is always a welcome addition, so it is very appropriate that his first nomination comes here in support. He does a wonderful job playing the humor, intelligent bravado, gleeful depravity, and pathos of the boozing hustler who teams up with Lee Israel's literary schemes in Can You Ever Forgive Me?. Jack Hock is a perfect character to add to his rogues gallery of charming misfits. I am hoping against hope that he can somehow pull off the upset and actually win, but even in defeat there will be few people there in the auditorium enjoying the experience more than Richard E. Grant.

Sam Elliott had a small role in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to start his career (he is one of the poker players in the film's opening pre-credits scene) and it took him a while to establish himself in the business. Lots of guest spots on series television throughout the '70s and then he started to get film work, co-starring with Parker Stevenson and his own luxurious chest hair in the lightweight Lifeguard (1976), the forgettable horror flick The Legacy (1978) where he met his wife the stunning Katharine Ross, and the TV mini-series Western "The Sacketts" with Tom Selleck. He worked steadily, lots of Westerns for the small screen, and that trademark mustache and deep voice made him always memorable. He never became an above-the-title star, but he wound up in some cult favorites including the Patrick Swayze barfighting mullet-fest Roadhouse and The Coen Brothers' The Big Lebowski, both of which are almost constantly playing on cable television at any given moment.

I thought Sam did Oscar nomination-worthy work in Bogdanovich's Mask (1985), with Lily Tomlin in Paul Weitz's Grandma (2015), and most especially just last year when he was snubbed for a Best Actor nod in Brett Haley's The Hero. Playing Bradley Cooper's much older brother in A Star is Born is finally the one that did it. He has a relatively small number of scenes, but he makes each one count. If enough of the Oscar voters go for a dash of overdue career achievement as well as the strength of his performance, Elliott may hear his name called.

But the favorite is definitely Green Book's Mahershala Ali. Ali won in this category on his only other nomination, two years ago as the understanding mentor of a drug dealer in Moonlight. Mahershala had already been working a lot before that Academy Award, but almost overnight he went from being "that guy" you had seen in a dozen different things to trying to learn how to pronounce his name and hoping he is in absolutely everything. This year not only is he kicking all kinds of butt on the third season of HBO's "True Detective" which will surely lead to Emmy and Golden Globe nominations and wins next awards cycle, but his portrayal of erudite pianist Dr. Don Shirley who patiently tries to rise above the prejudice of his day with his steadfast dignity has had him picking up all kinds of prizes. That should continue come Oscar night.

He also has a bit of an advantage in that his role is really a co-starring one in Green Book, and more properly he should be vying for Best Actor with Viggo Mortensen. Unfortunately there is nothing in the bylaws to prevent a little strategic category shopping. As Best Actor, he probably doesn't win and may not even have been nominated. But as Best Supporting Actor he is the favorite.

Having just won two years ago shouldn't hurt his chances, either. There have been other instances of an actor sort of running this category for a while: Christoph Waltz won just three years apart for Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained, Jason Robards won in back-to-back years for his Ben Bradlee in All the President's Men and Dashiell Hammett in Julia, and going back to the inception of the Academy Awards Walter Brennan won three out of the first five years this category existed (Come and Get It, Kentucky, and The Westerner). Mahershala Ali is about to join their company.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

When the nominations first came out, I thought Sam Elliott was a lock on this, a sort of "Lifetime Achievement/Body of Work" thing, but I re-watched Green Book last week and I don't know how anyone but Mahersala Ali can win this award?

Between the hat and the glasses this is definitely going to be one of those outfits where, when you see it in acceptance speech montages years from now, is going to prompt a "man, fashion was weird then" reactions.

I like the pattern on the suit, though.

BTW, Richard E. Grant did win the Independent Spirit Award the day before the Oscars. No Academy Award, but he got to deliver a decent acceptance speech there. I hope he gets another shot at an Oscar one of these years.