Vatroslav Mimica, one of Europe's forgotten masters

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
If there's one thing I'm known for concerning entertainment, it's my fascination with hidden gems. It's that fascination that lead me to search for good ex-yugoslavian films, and inevitably brought about a question: if England has Hitchcock and Italy has Fellini, who do we have? I've searched high and low, and found one obvious answer to that question. Our best director is Vatroslav Mimica.

A one-of-a-kind director, even on a global scale, there's so many noteworthy things about him that it makes your head spin. He excelled in animation as well as live action, and is one of the founders of the Zagreb school of animation. While most of his animated shorts aren't available on the internet, those that are give off a sense of distinct individuality in no way weaker than that of Ralph Bakshi or Yuri Norstein. His style was modernist, in both live action and animation, but what sets him apart from the typical modernist, especially his serbian contemporaries, is his dignity and sincerity. He's not a whiner, a misanthrope or an edgelord. The negativity in his films isn't fueled by butthurt, it's fueled by his own miserable experiences combined with his love for his fellow man. You could call him the exact opposite of a misanthrope.

He was born in 1923, and died only in february of 2020, meaning he lived so long he saw both the rise of Benito Mussolini and the outbreak of the coronavirus. He served as a medic for the partisan army in world war 2, an experience which would influence his entire opus. Later he got into the filmmaking business just as an excuse to get out of the army, starting off in the innocent days of our cinema, the 50's, with his modernist tendencies beginning to show soon after he got into animation. His return to live action cinema in the mid 60's was marked by the ''Modernist trilogy'', after which he began to return to more traditional storytelling while retaining his typical themes of isolation, human brutality, and misfortune. His final film was in 1981, after which he spent the remaining 39 years of his life in retirement.

His work was generally negatively recieved upon release, but it eventually grew on everyone. Myself included, as I still regret not including any of his films in my top 10 ex-yu movie list. He is thought to have been ''too ahead of his time''. Which is sort of true, that type of discontinued storytelling and anxious tone was unheard of in 50's and early 60's Yugoslavia, and besides, Serbia wouldn't lower the bar for modernist filmmaking until the late 60's.

There's a story related to the premiere of his film Seljačka Buna (Anno Domini 1573 in English) which shows how much of an alpha he was. In 1975, Yugoslavia had a film submitted for a festival in Italy - which wasn't Seljačka Buna - but Mimica smuggled his film in by mislabeling the canister. He got crap for it back home, sure, but the people at the festival loved it, one of those people being none other than Akira Kurosawa. This event went down in history as the biggest case of ''senpai noticed me'' in Croatian history.

Well, in truth, it's not as well-known as it deserves to be, but it does help prove Mimica's opinion that Croatian films are in no way inferior to everyone else's, but we just lack the lobbying power to bring them to the rest of the world. I both agree and disagree with that, I wouldn't say we're as good as russians, but our cinema is horribly misrepresented, even within our own country. We put hacks like Dalibor Matanić and Vinko Brešan into the public eye, and as a result, a lot of people here unironically think serbian films are superior to ours.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shilling Mimica out of cringy patriotism, I'm shilling him because, despite a few blunders, his high points make him genuinely deserving of being placed in the same category as Fellini, Hitchcock, Tarkovsky, and Zeman. The ''great European masters'', if you will. Throughout the next few days, I will rank all of his films from worst to best.

Di je Karlo?
#9 - Jubilej Gospodina Ikla

1955, comedy

Mimica states that he remembers the premiere night of Jubilej Gospodina Ikla, and that the line for the cinema stretched around multiple blocks. If that was the case, the people of 1955 must have been truly desperate for a laugh, because this film is pure autism.

It aims to be a campy comedy, in the vein of the Marx brothers, about a rich industrialist being buried alive and his associates fighting over inhertiance, but whatever good setup it has is wasted on idiotic gags you'd expect from a second-rate cartoon. Loud, annoying, and with horrible timing. I couldn't even watch it to the end out of fear my IQ would drop even further.

This is what Zagreb does to you.

Rating: 3/10

Di je Karlo?
#8 - Posljednji podvig diverzanta Oblaka
1978, drama

Here in Croatia, we have a catchphrase - ''jebiga'' - which you say when accepting a sad truth without getting mad. I find it fitting for Posljednji podvig diverzanta Oblaka, since it reveals a sad truth about a filmmaker working in Yugoslavia. You can be a talented individual, but film is a collaborative art, and if all the available cast and crew are talentless purgers and serbs, your film will not be good.

Posljednji podvig offers a good setup of a communist revolutionary in late yugoslavia fighting for the rights for his property, tangled up with both the private and public sector. Disappoinment with communism was already sort of visible in Seljačka Buna, so this had the potential to be a great man vs. system story, but the problem is the execution. Nobody but Mimica tried. The cinematographer didn't try, the composer didn't try, and the actors definitely didn't try. What you get is 90 minutes of static camera placed in the laziest possible angles, and low-energy Zagreb-dwelling fatasses half-heartedly reading from the script.

Just see Leviathan instead.

rating: jebiga/10

Di je Karlo?
#7 - U Oluji
1952, thriller

Check this out, I'm gonna make U Oluji seem way lamer than it actually is.
U Oluji is NOT the greatest yugoslavian film of 1952.
References aside, this film is actually not bad. It's a product of its time, for better or for worse. This was the more innocent days of our cinema, when all we wanted to make was unpretentious entertainment, looking to America and Italy as role models. U oluji is a fittingly unpretentious thriller about a young couple getting in league with a smuggler, and it story is a mixed bag. It can be very entertaining, especially with a well-directed and well-acted fight scene in the middle, but it can just as often be melodramatic and wonky. Still, the cinematography and Boris Papandopulo's score are really good.

rating: 5,5/10

Di je Karlo?
#6 - Prometej s otoka Viševice
1964, experimental drama

The first film in his Modernist Trilogy is where Mimica became who we know him to be. His stream-of-consciousness style of filmmaking took off, and the themes of war, urbanization and loneliness transitioned to live action. He'd keep improving on these things as time goes on, but the downside to that is that it basically made Prometej obsolete. Not completely - it still contains Mimica's unique je-ne-sais-quoi, which alone makes it worth a watch - but after seeing the other two films, I can't help but to see Prometej as less of a good movie and more of a prelude to a good movie.

Rating: 6/10

Di je Karlo?
#5 - Ponedjeljak ili Utorak
experimental drama, 1966

The second film in the Modernist Trilogy is also Mimica's most personal work. Not just because of the themes, but because of the visual style brought over from his animated films. Half of it takes place in the real world, while the rest takes place in the protagonist's head, again going for a ''stream of consciousness'' type of continuity. What makes it so much better than Prometej is its use of colour and sound to portray emotion, leading to some really imaginative visuals. The protagonist's childhood memories, for example, have a unique colourful-but-dusty look that could only ever come from Vatroslav Mimica. The real world segments, while in black-and-white, are backed by excellent editing made to portray the stress of urban life.

There's a lot of things about this film that rub me the wrong way, and not just how the dialogue is myred in forced latinisms. For example, its main theme is supposed to be how urban life can be lonely and overly stressful, but it also clips in some footage of concentration camps and marching soldiers, trying to tack on war trauma as a character trait for Marko, and it doesn't fit in at all. It can also get a little too artsy-fartsy for its own good, to the point where you can barely tell what's going on, but these moments aren't nearly frequent enough to be a deal breaker.

The word that best sums up Ponedjeljak ili Utorak is ''eurojank''. A film with plenty of personality to make you forgive the wonky execution.

Rating: 7/10

Di je Karlo?
#4 - Banović Strahinja
1981, historical epic

Banović Strahinja, aka ''the one where all the turks were played by serbs and noone could tell the difference'', is Mimica's final film and in many ways his most normal one.

The story concerns a defeated serbian knight trying to get back his wife from a turkish bandit before they have an affair. It's as much about the love triangle as it is about the action, going for a more realistic, morally grey approach to such a situation. If that sounds like something Akira Kurosawa would do, that's because it is. No doubt trying to make another Seljačka Buna, Mimica started to take after his senpai more and more, and came out with a rock-solid film.

It's got a compelling main trio, good music, high production values, and really well-directed battles, with a particular high point being a drawn-out duel between Strahinja and Alija, starting out on horseback, and gradually devolving to a sword fight, and then a fist fight. I also can't understate how good Rade Serbedžija was during the impalement scene. One of the very few times a movie - any movie - made me wince irl.

To put it simply, it ticks all the boxes.

Rating: 7,5/10

Di je Karlo?
#3 - Seljačka Buna 1573
1975, historical epic

Like Seven Samurai to Japan and War and Peace to Russia, this was gonna be Croatia's ''megaproduction''. And while a film about a peasants' rebellion made in a communist country may seem like bold-faced propaganda, Mimica wasn't gonna settle for that. His intention was to ''de-romanticize'' the past, so in a way, Seljačka Buna is to historical epics what The Simpsons were to family sitcoms. It never devolved into pure edge like it could have, instead it just showed the rebellion through the eyes of an average joe. Petrek, played by Mimca's son Sergio, isn't a major figure in the rebellion, just a young man with a bone to pick with the local nobility.

A good part of the film isn't even about the rebellion itself, it's more about the local community, the lives of the locals, and the bustling culture of the nearby town. No doubt it was exaggerated and historically inaccurate, but it made for a more engaging setting. The production values totally do it justice.

What surprised me is how Mimica approached the politics of the situation. He criticizes the nobles for their decadence, but also acknowledged the inherent problem in overthrowing all authority and expecting law and order to not crumble. A very mature, objective approach coming from a hardcore communist.

You can point to John Ford or Akira Kurosawa and say they've fone this kind of thing better, but nevertheless, Seljačka Buna is delightful.

Rating: 8,5/10

Di je Karlo?
#2 - Kaja, ubit ću te!
1967, war/horror

Kaja, ubit ću te is the final film in the Modernist Trilogy. If Prometej is a prelude to a good movie, Ponedljeljak ili Utorak should logically be a prelude to a great one. Luckily, Mimica skipped ''great'' and went straight to ''amazing''.

Made for the single purpouse of retelling his experience with the Italian occupation of Dalmatia, Kaja takes place in the town of Trogir, as its idyllic life is interrupted by the occupiers obsessively searching for a rat. A simple setup, but a perfect fit for Mimica's now-mastered skill of creating an anxious atmosphere through use of colour, shot composition sound design, and montage. The shots of Trogir's streets getting progressively more desolate, the heightened sense of hearing in the presence of the Italians, the unsettlingly slow dialogue, and little things like that are what give this film such an air of looming evil. They went above and beyond to recreate the dalmatian dialect of the 40's (fijuu, raketinu priko kampanjela!), and even gave the town its own redikul.

Kaja is thought to be a big influence of Fellini's film Amacord. It is confirmed that his main screenwriter recommended it to him, and if you ask me, that's a huge testament to the film's quality. Kurosawa saw Seljačka Buna at a film festival, but Kaja is so good that someone of Fellini's stature actively sought it out.

rating: 9,5/10

Di je Karlo?
#1 - Događaj
1969, thriller

Honestly, this is objectively on the same level of quality as Kaja, but you know me. My favourite films are the likes of Apocalypto and The Return. Linear stories with universal themes. Događaj is that kind of film - it manages to take a setup as simple as ''a boy and his grandfather get attacked in the woods'', and still be amazing.

The camera angles have some Kaja left in them, but have a higher sense of energy. The anxiety is replaced by a sensation of being stalked by a predator. It's better off seen that explained, but it's stuff that would make Hitchcock blush. It's also enhanced by the performances, and all of them are excellent. Equally restrained and expressive, they imbue their characters with both memorable personalities and animalistic predator-prey energy. 13-year-old Sergio Mimica is nothing to be laughed at, but he and all others pale in comparison to Boris Dvornik. This is his only time playing a villain, and while he's intimidating all the way through, the final sequence in his house really shows what a mood-swinging exuberant psycho he is. That sequence as a whole is really something else. Mimica's visual genius shined better than ever before, Marina Nemet raised the bar for child acting, and it stuck the ending perfectly, absolutely nailing the feeling of a child being left all alone in the world.

Tl;dr, a masterpiece.

Rating: 9,5/10

Muy interesante la informacion, investigare para aportar algo igual de geneial

Anyone know any good video editing software? I wanna subtitle Mimica's films
Aegisub is pretty popular with gud interface
http://www.aegisub.org

But for patches it as hard sub you need some software like Handbrake

You haven't ranked his animated films ?