Underrated Sequels

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
For the record, Temple of Doom is a prequel (it takes place in 1935, whereas Raiders of the Lost Ark takes place in 1936) so its status as a sequel is extremely debatable at best.

As for underrated sequels...since nobody else has said it, I'm going to nominate Halloween III. A decent enough premise that worked because it changed things up radically from the whole Michael Myers thing, which was starting to get a little stale by the time II finished. Not a lost classic, but not as bad as everyone seems to think.

For the record, Temple of Doom is a prequel (it takes place in 1935, whereas Raiders of the Lost Ark takes place in 1936) so its status as a sequel is extremely debatable at best.

I know it's a prequel, but I do think it's deserving of a mention at least.

Master of My Domain
Pirates of The Caribbean 2 : Dead Man's Chest and At World's End are two very underrated sequels

also Evil Dead 2 is underrated
IMO the two sequels deserved its mixed reaction from critics and audiences- certainly not underrated.

I'm not familiar with the POTC films, not sure if I'd say the sequels count as underrated, but their reception seems mixed whereas the first is a generally well-liked film.

Wayne's World 2? Loved the first one and the sequel is still very very funny
I would agree regarding Wayne's World 2...not quite up to the original, but still a very funny movie and you don't see a lot of discussion about it on these boards.

Off the top of my head and excluding sequels that have gradually become recognised as classics...

The French Connection II
Ginger Snaps: Unleashed

Magnum Force
Trinity Is Still My Name
Predator II
Jaws II
Psycho II
Blade II
Any Which Way You Can
Day Of The Dead
Final Destination II
Escape From The Planet Of The Apes
Maniac Cop II
Shaft's Big Score
Return Of The Living Dead Part III
Back To The Future Part II - I think it's generally accepted part III is a classic.

I should also add Halloween III even though I don't appreciate it's brilliance; there are plenty of horror fans who do.
I didn't like back to the future part II that much when it came out in 1989 but enjoy it a lot more now!

Ghostbusters II
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
Predator 2
Die Hard 2
Jaws 2
Batman Returns

In addition to these I'll also add:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Poltergeist II: The Other Side

I'm tempted to add Avengers: Age Of Ultron, but I think it's too early to tell. Seems it has a somewhat mixed reception compared with the unanimous love the first film got.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park
AMEN, I actually quite liked the second JP, the third one was written terribly which is why I can see why people don't like it but I thought it was a decent popcorn flick since the special effects were still fantastic.

The Lost World isn't without it's flaws but I find it's still quite entertaining and far superior to the third, IMO.

I would say Alien 3 would be one. While the theatrical cut is a complete nightmare, the Assembly Cut basically fixes most issues with it.

I'm including prequels and remakes here as well

Terminator 3 - Not a great sequel, but not awful

Star Wars Episode I-III - Didn't have the acting talent that the first one did, but no where nearly as bad as some die hard fans claim

Halloween remake - One of the better slasher films I've seen

Scream 2
Halloween 2 (1981)
The Purge: Anarchy

Having been rewatching the Pirates of the Caribbean movies I think Dead Man's Chest is a lot better than some may give it credit for. Although the 3rd is a jumble mess and the 4th just doesn't have that same atmosphere as the first couple IMO

And I thought the new Halloween was very good actually like many have been saying

I will probably cop some flak for this but Death Race 2 comes to mind.

Jaws 2
Psycho 2
The Exorcist III
2010: The Year We Make Contact
Return To Oz
Day of the Dead
Friday the 13th part 2
Creepshow 2
Bride of Re-Animator
A Nightmare on Elm Street part 3
Halloween II
Gremlins 2
Terminator 3
Alien 3 (director's cut)
Return of the Living Dead 3
I dig those.

I also like Rambo sequels.

As for underrated sequels...since nobody else has said it, I'm going to nominate Halloween III. A decent enough premise that worked because it changed things up radically from the whole Michael Myers thing, which was starting to get a little stale by the time II finished. Not a lost classic, but not as bad as everyone seems to think.
Halloween III was meant to be a new beginning! Carpenter hated writing Halloween 2 and wanted to end Michael's story. He had a concept to turn the franchise into a big screen Halloween themed horror franchise of different Halloween themed stories with ideas, plots, new villains and all that in each standalone sequel. It was gonna be like tales from the crypt, twilight zone, Are you Afraid of the Dark or Creepshow or Tales from the Darkside with this concept.